Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ivladster

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Washington DC
I really hope they don't drop the Classic. I take mine everyday to work with me and still works great after daily use for years. I'm tempted to buy a new Classic for when this one dies.

Well, it's not like Apple is gonna come to your house and confiscate it from you. I am sure Apple will have a solution to people like you. Things like iCloud will eliminate need for massive flash storage on media devises. Maybe in 2-3 years.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I'm going to guess the following for the iPod line:

- Classic: Discontinued Replaced by iPod Touch with 64GBGB + iCloud
- Shuffle: Discontinued Replaced by iPod nano starting @ $99

- iPod Touch: Renamed iPod.
- iPod Nano: Now starting @ $99 for 4GB.

Apple has always strived for a simple lineup so I won't be surprised if they get the iPod line down to 2 models.

Sequin

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2010
The iPod appeared to be unbeatable until it became clear that in the near future, people would be listening to music on their smart phones. Soon, it would be redundant to carry a single purpose music player when you could have everything in your one device. The big elephant in the Apple boardroom: The mighty iPod had its days numbered.

But your phone can hardly carry all of your music, which makes it pointless to use as my music player. With the iPod classic I know I can carry more than everything and not drain my phone battery at the same time.

Sequin

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2010

But isn't that wireless? It seems inefficient to have a wireless device while in the car. Wouldn't it take forever to load the next song? Also you have to pay for that. I'm not paying to hold my music when my iPod can do that for free.

iheartiphone4

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2011
La Crosse, WI

Apple has always strived for a simple lineup so I won't be surprised if they get the iPod line down to 2 models.

I'll bet you a new iPod touch that you are way off. :D

Kitschier

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2011

I feel like people aren't getting the purpose of iCloud. I don't think Apple's intent is to end physical storage as we know it, but allow streamlined access within the Apple ecosystem between products, more than anything else. If iCloud were truly 'in-the-cloud', streaming would be available upon its release. Obviously iCloud will work excellently with devices with less storage, such as the lower range iPod touches and iPhones (switching media in and out), but it absolutely won't halt storage increases.

The discontinuation of the iPod Classic solidifies a storage increase for the iPhone and Touch. The Touch will not be removed from the title, and that's that.

Colpeas

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Rep.
I would really hate to see the Classic go. I was hoping for a refresh, so I could buy a 220GB one to carry my 170GB ALAC library, but now it seems like now i'll be probably stuck on current 160 gigs. There are still customers for Classic - audiophiles, guys who use it in car and so - and they don't buy it now for the same reason as I. And I am 100% sure, that Apple would make a HUGE damn mistake, if they'd discontinue it! Not mentioning the fact, that not everyone can afford a $400 iTouch with even smaller memory and also not everyone is comfortable with the touch interface.

I have an iPhone, and I am not going to switch it for the Touch. I want to carry my ALAC music along with me, but I don't want to have 2 almost identical devices, while touch wouldn't satisfy me. I need iPod Classic.

I am the right customer for the Classic.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
But isn't that wireless? It seems inefficient to have a wireless device while in the car. Wouldn't it take forever to load the next song?

iPod Touch

The iPod line isn't going nowhere, as the Touch is still insanely popular. It will inherit the title of iPod and will do a great job of continuing the lineage. Purists may complain that the iPod Touch does too much and they simply want a music player, but Apple isn't in the business of niches. Steadily less and less people are looking for that kind of device. iPod lives:

ipodtouch-hero.jpg

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
Do you think Apple will sell off its remaining stock at any discount once the announcement of its discontinuation is made?

(Probably not, but I can hope against hope, can't I? I'd risk the wife's wrath for a brand-new classic at under $200.)

SirChadwick

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2011
Goodbye high storage mobile devices... The future of content storage is not on the local device. At least that's the plan for the content providers.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I feel like people aren't getting the purpose of iCloud. I don't think Apple's intent is to end physical storage as we know it, but allow streamlined access within the Apple ecosystem between products, more than anything else. If iCloud were truly 'in-the-cloud', streaming would be available upon its release. Obviously iCloud will work excellently with devices with less storage, such as the lower range iPod touches and iPhones (switching media in and out), but it absolutely won't halt storage increases.

The discontinuation of the iPod Classic solidifies a storage increase for the iPhone and Touch. The Touch will not be removed from the title, and that's that.

We haven't seen everything from iOS5 and iCloud yet. Apple isn't going to sit back while Spotify steals its business. If they can get licenses to stream music, so can Apple.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Do you think Apple will sell off its remaining stock at any discount once the announcement of its discontinuation is made?

(Probably not, but I can hope against hope, can't I? I'd risk the wife's wrath for a brand-new classic at under $200.)

Our local Target had great deals on the old 'stick' shuffles when they were discoed.

Kitschier

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2011
Man, if Apple discontinues the Shuffle and Classic, they have just a few items left.

I mean, they discontinued the white Macbook.

And they're building these megaton stores and they have only like 5 products to show in them.
Because we've seen just how well product overload has boded for megacorps (*cough* Sony *cough*).

Eric S.

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
Well, it's not like Apple is gonna come to your house and confiscate it from you. I am sure Apple will have a solution to people like you.

And I am quite sure they won't. Apple is now all about obsolescence so they can force you buy the latest gadgets. If the Classic is discontinued, you can bet that very soon iTunes will no longer support it. Then you're stuck on an old version of iTunes, which won't run on the latest OS, and your old OS won't run on the latest Mac, etc., etc.

Things like iCloud will eliminate need for massive flash storage on media devises. Maybe in 2-3 years.

I'm not going to be dependent on iCloud for music. With the Classic I carry my music in my pocket wherever I go, without worrying about network connection, bandwidth issues, what Apple's going to charge for or decide not to support. I use the Classic for music only, no games or videos or anything else, and I'm not going to iCloud or a Touch just to get a high capacity music device.

Chunk Style

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2011
Not surprsied, but still disappointed. Apple, I thought, wanted to cater to the high-end user - in this case audiophiles. I guess that's not the case anymore (and MacPro users might agree with me.) I bought a 1G iPod in 2002because it was clearly to device that I needed to replace a car full of aging mix tapes and carry lots and lots of muisc, in the way the recordable CD's and MiniDiscs never would be. I switched to Mac just to be able to use it. They introduced Apple Lossless, which is great, but then they got lazy. They never introduced an iPod that could hold my library in that format. They never introduced support for playing "HD" auido. They let it languish at 160GB (Even reducing that to 120 for a time.) And now they want me to move to the all-mighty Cloud, which I'd consider despite the drawbacks, but it appears that it won't support even their own lossless codec. They are regressing in order to market to the tweeners and 20-somethings who listen to Lady Gaga and clog up machines at the Apple Store to use Photo Booth and Facebook.

So now I guess I need to wait for some other manufacturer to see there is a market, however small, for high-end digital audio players. Give me 500GB or more in my pocket and compatibility with all codecs and I'll pay whatever you want.

In the meantime, I'll continue to use a classic in my car and another in my dock speakers at work. If they discontinue them next week, I'll buy a couple spares. I won't be downgrading to a Touch, though, since I have an iPhone and the iOS interface is crap for navigating music.

Kitschier

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2011
We haven't seen everything from iOS5 and iCloud yet. Apple isn't going to sit back while Spotify steals its business. If they can get licenses to stream music, so can Apple.
Whether streaming becomes a feature or not, iCloud won't change how storage increases within devices. It's more of a luxury feature.

Sequin

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2010
iCloud in itself seems stupid. If I want extra storage online, then I'll use my website because I'm already paying for that. I don't pay for my music so why start paying to have it stored?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.