Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bvsco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
Hi-
I have all my music on an external hd. I have my preferences set to look for my music on the hd, in the file where it is.
On most all albums that I play about 1/2 the songs 'could not be found' and I'm prompted to locate them or to cancel.
I find them right where they should be when I choose to locate them.
Additionally, when I close itunes and reopen it it makes me locate them again.

This is new. I used to have the same setup, but recently got an additional hd to be really safe. I reorganized some files, consolidated some stuff, but didn't change much really.

Any ideas?
Thank you

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Make sure your external drive is properly mounted and recognized at the time you launch iTunes. If it isn't, iTunes can't find the files.

bvsco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
Thanks for the reply.
Not sure how to make sure it's mounted correctly. If it weren't mounted correctly would this problem make sense? It seems like none of the files would be able to be located? But I don't know much about it.
I do always connect the hd before I open itunes.
Thanks for your help

bvsco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
I'm using a MacBook 10.6.8. A WD Passport, I think it's 500gb.

What am I looking for to make sure it's mounted correctly?

Thanks

quasinormal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Sydney, Australia.
I'm using a MacBook 10.6.8. A WD Passport, I think it's 500gb.

What am I looking for to make sure it's mounted correctly?

Thanks

The Passport HDs seem fairly reliable, but I've found the micro USB cable to needs to be pushed in all the way into the Passport, if using certain 3rd party cables.

How big is your itunes folder? You could throw in a new 1TB 9.5mm WD or Samsung HD and save yourself a lot of hassle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.