Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

supermac96

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2010
somewhere over the rainbow
When ios 5 is released will you have to have lion to sync your device with computer or will snow leopard 10.6.8 work? Also when it comes out, if I update will it take off my music so I have to put it back on or will everything stay on?

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
I think the iTunes after now will still have support for 10.6.8 or 10.6.9.
I still recommend you use iCloud for the future ;).

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I doubt you will have to have Lion.

You will deal with your music the way you have always dealt with full os updates, install the os and sync back all your data. So make sure all you music is on your computer for the initial 5.0 update. After that you won't need to do the full install for subsequent 5.X.X updates.

byke

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2007
LDN. UK
I am expecting lion to be updated with AirPlay and for this feature to be enriched via ios 5

supermac96

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2010
somewhere over the rainbow
I doubt you will have to have Lion.

You will deal with your music the way you have always dealt with full os updates, install the os and sync back all your data. So make sure all you music is on your computer for the initial 5.0 update. After that you won't need to do the full install for subsequent 5.X.X updates.

If i remember right from the 4.0 update you have to manually put your music back on (unless you have it set to auto sync your music)and it will automatically put your apps back on but i forget about photos, notes and calender. also does it save all your app data from the apps I forget?

Rubo Draco

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2011
is there a way to update to iOS5 without having to backup (sync) my apps, music, videos and photos from my iPad to my PC?

I only have 3GB free on my PC, so I won't be able to sync iPad content to PC

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.