Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kristoffer4

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
Denmark
Ok. How powerfull is the ipad really? Would it be able to run Portal?

Do you think Valve will port Portal to ipad?

Maybe on the next ipad with better 3D hardware ? :)

The reason I ask is because we haven't seen that many games for the ipad yet but I see it as having a big opportunity for games. What's your take?

Macjames

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
Yorkshire, England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

It would be cool but...I would want a new portal game and not, I repeat, not Portal 1.

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
Valve wont make portal for any handheld. The iPad will not and cannot run portal (unless maybe you stream it) even in either case the controls would be terrible.

Portal gets bad fps Even on my macbook pro in osx when portals are opened... the iPad cant do it. Maybe if they made a special handheld watered down version but again Valve wont do it.

I have spoken with valve staff in person on a number of occasions. And have discussed ALLOT of stuff with them

macuserx86

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2006
Yes it is possible, through the magic of Onlive!

howonliveworks1.png

MDMac

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2006
McAllen, TX
I can't imagine a game like epic citadel being playable once NPCs are added. I could see a game in the style of Myst though, where its usually just the player and the environment around you.

lellis2k

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2007
Leeds, UK
I can't imagine a game like epic citadel being playable once NPCs are added. I could see a game in the style of Myst though, where its usually just the player and the environment around you.

In light of Infinity Blade, care to revisit that question?

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
In light of Infinity Blade, care to revisit that question?

Infinity Blade is on-rails for a reason. That primarily being memory (both storage and RAM).

*Portal needs about 3GB of hard drive space and 1GB of RAM. Portal 2 needs about 7.6GB of space.

Last edited:

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Valve actually allowed this? Wow, if only other game companies had this kind of attitude.

Eh still, The portal transitions feel very stiff (you seem to be teleporting rather than walking through) and the environments are low res.

Its not a AAA dev with artists and skilled devs for optimizations. Give it to Infinity Blade team or Rage team and 'could' be awesome.

But its not happening. Valve has shown no interest in mobile market.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Its not a AAA dev with artists and skilled devs for optimizations. Give it to Infinity Blade team or Rage team and 'could' be awesome.

But its not happening. Valve has shown no interest in mobile market.

Again, those games are on rail for a reason. A full, free roaming game with those kind of graphics would take up too much memory.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Again, those games are on rail for a reason. A full, free roaming game with those kind of graphics would take up too much memory.
Negative, the rail is gameplay design choice, purely, not a graphical limitation.

Infinity Blade did not warrant freeroam, it was focused on one on one combat. There was no reason to explore, and would have just been awkward.

If you want to free roam explore the Infinity Blade world, go download Epic Citadel, it lets you and is free.

Rage is a control issue. Yea some have pulled off moving and shooting, but its still awkward and ID didnt like their methods. One finger for aiming, one for firing/dodging, they handle your movment.

Both simple arcadey games.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Negative, the rail is gameplay design choice, purely, not a graphical limitation.

Infinity Blade did not warrant freeroam, it was focused on one on one combat. There was no reason to explore, and would have just been awkward.

If you want to free roam explore the Infinity Blade world, go download Epic Citadel, it lets you and is free.

Rage is a control issue. Yea some have pulled off moving and shooting, but its still awkward and ID didnt like their methods. One finger for aiming, one for firing/dodging, they handle your movment.

Both simple arcadey games.

Epic Citadel is not a full game. It is one level without a single NPC. If made into a full game it would be several times larger than anything currently on the app store.

iPadCary

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
NEW YORK CITY
Of COURSE It's Possible!

Not only is it possible, but it's looong overdue.
Here, read this > "The Likelihood Of 'Portal' On iPad 2 ....

And remember, that's iPad 2 they're talking about.
iPad 4?
I bet you can run "Portal" and edit FX on HD video at the same time ....

To say a quadcore PowerVR SGX554MP4 chip -- the iPad 4's GPU -- "can't" run
the more than half decade old Source engine meant for a Pentium 4 is beyond ridiculous ....
In fact, it's outright insane.

Gabe Newell's such an iPad guy, he should get on the stick!

bobbysmith

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2012
To say a quadcore PowerVR SGX554MP4 chip -- the iPad 4's GPU -- "can't" run
the more than half decade old Source engine meant for a Pentium 4 is beyond ridiculous ....
In fact, it's outright insane.

Gabe Newell's such an iPad guy, he should get on the stick!
The iPad 4 came out in 2010 when this thread was created?

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Yeah, and ....?

Does that invalidate one word of what I said?!?

Don't be so angry. If you're not angry, it's coming across as angry from the use of italics, extraneous punctuation marks, and the thumbs down icon on each of your posts.

The point is you resurrected a thread that no one was discussing that was two years old from the last post, which itself had resurrected the thread from more than a year before that. Your post leads to a forum with people discussing how Portal/Portal 2 would work on an iPad, with the only logic to the hardware possibility being "Well, the game is 4 years old".

Your logic of the game being based on an engine that's half a decade old doesn't mean much. There's a lot more that goes into putting a game on the iPad than the question of if the hardware can push the game. How will the controls work? Portal and Portal 2 have a lot of places where timing is vitally important, and would be exceedingly difficult to do with a touch screen without almost complete redoing of the controls.

Resurrecting these old threads with a post linking to another forum where a discussion (that is itself over a year old and completely dead) has happened that presents no real evidence of why Portal is coming to the iPad just makes clutter for people to work through. If you want to present an argument for why you think Portal should be put on the iPad, create a thread for it.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

It would be cool but...I would want a new portal game and not, I repeat, not Portal 1.

And you are the end all and be all

I think in another generation or two iPads will be powerful enough to run things like Steam to a degree and yes at that point we might see games ported over. Hopefully they will be ground up and not just emulators for the best performance. And I think the original Portal games are a likely and great choice for starting steps as they are the most known and the game play is the most compatible with a touch control system.

I would also like to see some classic Nintendo but suspect that's mainly ego in the way so who knows if it will ever happen

Last edited:

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Resurrecting these old threads with a post linking to another forum where a discussion (that is itself over a year old and completely dead) has happened that presents no real evidence of why Portal is coming to the iPad just makes clutter for people to work through. If you want to present an argument for why you think Portal should be put on the iPad, create a thread for it.

I disagree. Resurrecting an old thread when you are commenting to follow up on the topic of the thread, which is still a valid topic of conversation is way better, IMHO, than starting multiple threads that might rehash some of the same points.

And clearly the forum controllers have no real issue with thread resurrection since they have the power to close threads and haven't bothered to lock all the old ones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.