Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your iPad going completely "PC-Free" with iOS 5?

• Yes! No more iTunes!

Votes: 54 28.9%
  • A little bit of both. iTunes & iCloud

Votes: 88 47.1%
  • No. I like syncing to iTunes

Votes: 31 16.6%
  • No, what are you crazy?! 2001 FTW!

Votes: 14 7.5%

• Total voters

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
I will be able to send PDF's, Pages as Word files directly to my iMac or Air?

PDF's from Goodreader I mean.

In which case I'm going to be cable free....Unless I need to transfer something really big that wifi will take ages to do.
yup. you can most certainly do that! i just tested this right now for you - works wonderfully (speed depends on your WiFi connections obviously).

i was actually quite surprised by the speeds to be honest. i was getting ~9MB/s on my home network wifi (802.11n) - generally i would only see ~20MB/s copying to the iPad. so for the portability and ability to
a) not have to even take the iPad out of my bag to sync
b) walk around the house and save songs to it/update files
and c) have it automatically backup each time the iPad joins my WiFi

its great!! :)

Saberon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Wifi sync isn't related to backups.

iPhone will automatically backup when iCloud is setup regardless of whether wifi sync is enabled or not.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA

iPhone will automatically backup when iCloud is setup regardless of whether wifi sync is enabled or not.

Backup to your computer? Considering my issues with MobileMe (iCal and iDisk), I don't trust any cloud computing to backup anything for me.

Last edited:

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom

thats not true - you have the option of either backing up to the cloud, or backing up to a computer (regardless of wifi sync or wired).

S1njin

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
NJ
The only time I connect my iPad to my MBP is if I am sync'ing podcasts. Other than that, completely PC-free.

How does this whole iOS 5 Wifi Sync work w/ Podcasts? Anybody know?

I sync my iPhone every morning before starting off on my commute - primarily for my podcasts. Will I be able to do this via wifi assuming my iTunes podcast subscriptions have refreshed and pulled everything down ahead of time?

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland
S1njin said:
How does this whole iOS 5 Wifi Sync work w/ Podcasts? Anybody know?

I sync my iPhone every morning before starting off on my commute - primarily for my podcasts. Will I be able to do this via wifi assuming my iTunes podcast subscriptions have refreshed and pulled everything down ahead of time?

Yes.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
The only time I connect my iPad to my MBP is if I am sync'ing podcasts. Other than that, completely PC-free.
But isnt that a daily task?

For me, I actually need a way to sync to multiple computers. My Mini stores my main iTunes library, my air stores my latest photos (aperture sync) and podcasts. But unfortunately I can only sync to one so I sync to the air using a remote library to the Mini which is a pain because when the shared drive falls off due to my Tome Capsule 2011 signal it resets all the iTunes storage settings and renames the drive from "iTunes". To "iTunes_1" and breaks all links.

You'd think that entrenching yourself within Apples ecosystem would make things simpler...

Last edited:

Coolestdude

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2011
I've been wanting WIFI sync for a long time... for all of my idevices... How it works, I don't care. Preferably connects to my network and then back to my local computer. Now If I could install itunes directly on a NAS (instead of just the library) that would rock.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
I've been wanting WIFI sync for a long time... for all of my idevices... How it works, I don't care. Preferably connects to my network and then back to my local computer. Now If I could install itunes directly on a NAS (instead of just the library) that would rock.
That really is the missing feature of the Time Capsule.

The TC is a WiFi router with 2-3GB of storage capacity with a USB for unlimited external storage. It's the perfect device for acting as an iTunes Server. But the fact that I bought a Mac Mini 2011 primarily to be an iTunes server explains why they choose not to offer it as a feature yet.

Last edited:

Lukkee24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
London
I'll be completely pc-free, unless there is a time when it's unavoidable that I have to sync via iTunes.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
That really is the missing feature of the Time Capsule.

The TC is a WiFi router with 2-3GB of storage capacity with a USB for unlimited external storage. It's the perfect device for acting as an iTunes Server. But the fact that I bought a Mac Mini 2011 primarily to be an iTunes server explains why they choose not to offer it as a feature yet.

That's an interesting idea. TC could definitely be used as an iTunes storage device.

There were rumors that TC servers would be used as a cache for distributing Lion delivery. Apple could even have done it in some of their stores for all I know -- it would have cut a tremendous network load for stores where there were lots of Lion downloads. I did ask at a local store. The employee told me that they had heard about the speculation but they never configured any TC servers for caching Lion distribution.

I don't know if they held back this service to promote Mini sales. That's a bit conspiratorial. I do hope they figure out how to offer these services in the future: all iOS users could benefit from it.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I don't sync up my iPad as often as I do my iPhone. But for the most part, my iPad is MBP free. I updated to 5.0.1 OTA without any issues.

opinioncircle

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
When getting the iPad, I was really surprised when booted up, you still need to sync it to the computer to get it going.

I can get the iTunes sync for music, pics and whatnot. But to just turn it on, I thought this was far from PC-free here...

rctlr

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2012
For me, I still sync via wifi to my itunes for music on my iphone, and videos for my ipad, but thats it.
If all my media could be got via icloud/dropbox, then I'd use that, but my library is too large to hold in dropbox.
I was thinking about s3, but costs might be too high.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.