Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I was really tempted to post a link to an "adult" java browser game and then had second thoughts mostly cause I'd get into some kind of trouble. Honestly I would not call it a "good" game in the traditional gaming sense. ;)

Infrared

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2007
Hi

I am wondering if there are any really good online games? I mean browser games.

Like InstantAction and QuakeOnline games:

http://www.instantaction.com/

Really good that site is, anything else like it? Thanks.

Hmm... yes. Would it be too much trouble for them to tell us
something about the games on offer? :)

I spent a couple of mins meandering around their site and then
gave up looking.

EffDee

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2009
Try this one:

Okay, so we've all play Risk right? The game where you control an entire faction and try and take over the world. Well imagine playing Risk, but you are only in control of one army.

You have a commander. You have 1-3 hero units. And then you "hire" as many other units as you can afford based on your Wage. You then join forces with everyone else in your country to mount attacks against other territories control by other real people in the game.

The learning curb is rather steep, but once you understand how the game is played you can be as involved as you want to be, or not. Some people log on constantly around the clock to train their army to be the very best, others log in at strategic times to engage enemy armies in "PvP".

TLK doesn't involve Global Domination, only European domination. 30 countries begin each "age" and they fight it out until only 1 remains.

If you do not already have an account already, I urge you to use my "referral code". It doesn't change how you experience the game, but I will get a slight bonus if you progress far. So please use this link to sign up for an account:

http://www.lastknights.com/index.php?action=register&ref_id=2535

It is a difficult game to learn, but its extremely fun once you get good at it. I spend a lot of my time trying to teach people who haven't played it yet, how to play. It is rewarding to me to do what I can to increase the activity on this great game. Its browser based, like you want, and its just got a great strategy and team-based element. So sign up and send me a message in game, I'll be glad to help.

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
I find the online version of Plants Vs Zombies quite good fun to play, and there's a new version of Bejeweled out December 7th as well, if you're into the kind of 'casual games' genre.

Slux

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2010
Kongai

The only browser game I play regularly is Kongai, an online collectable card game based around a fighting game / streetfighter concept.

Also see the wiki.

Might not be your cup of tea if you're looking for fast-paced action ;)

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
I also tend to play the occasional Dragon Fable. It's pretty much a flash browser game in the Adventure Quest line of games. The company does a ton of these games. It's sort of a community turn based combat PvE game. Though it isn't an MMO by the traditional sense.

I guess one of the cool obvious aspects of these games is the constant updates. Always nice to know that you see timely events, and all sorts of client/server updates almost everyday without you having to download any more client data to take up more of your internal HD space.

However, if your looking for a rather promising free strategy title, I'd give Heroes of Might and Magic online a try. One if the nicest things is, like Castle Age for Facebook, it doesn't require flash to play. Thus that means your iOS devices have access though the screen real-estate on the iPad makes them easier to play. The bad is that they are still time management kind of games, regardless of their RPG/strategy play mechanics. Thus it's a bit slow in the beginning due to you only being able to take a certain amount of actions within a time period. Unlike the faster dungeon crawling aspect of games like Dragon-Fable, where you can play and perform actions to your hearts content, whenever you have time for it.

Last edited:

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
I'll concur. The web version of Plants vs. Zombies plays real well. Works real well with click to flash, too. You still have a 10 second wait between levels, but then you also wont have a bunch of flash commercials loading in. Streamlined performance. :)

One nice thing is that it's pretty much Plants vs. Zombies (but you'll notice new plants arriving in a slightly different order, from the iPad or console versions not long into the game). It also takes a small amount of window real-estate, so you can shrink the window size to make room to fit another activity on the screen.

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
Yeah. Pretty neat. And it plays just as smooth and presentable as any of the PvZ ports. Music, sound, smooth animations, your Currraaaaazy neighbor, and everything.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I find the online version of Plants Vs Zombies quite good fun to play, and there's a new version of Bejeweled out December 7th as well, if you're into the kind of 'casual games' genre.

Did not realize you could play this for free. Second look seems to indicate this is a trial or you can't save your progress? It's $20 to download. My wife appears to be addicted to the ipad version which is a download. As I recall the ipad version was only $4.99. :)

Last edited:

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
We should also ask the question : which browser is best for all these games ?

I use Firefox as my main browser, but I'm impressed with Safari's speed, though. Chrome doesn't work with Quake live, and I don't find Chrome to be fast, really, contrarily to popular belief.
Strange is that Firefox needs to restart in 32-bit mode to be able to play quake live, Safari doesn't.
If you check activity monitor, you'll see that FF by default starts as a 64-bit process, Safari doesn't. Why is this ?

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
We should also ask the question : which browser is best for all these games ?

I use Firefox as my main browser, but I'm impressed with Safari's speed, though. Chrome doesn't work with Quake live, and I don't find Chrome to be fast, really, contrarily to popular belief.
Strange is that Firefox needs to restart in 32-bit mode to be able to play quake live, Safari doesn't.
If you check activity monitor, you'll see that FF by default starts as a 64-bit process, Safari doesn't. Why is this ?

Apple puts out a better product in this regard although mostly I use Firefox. :)

betopea

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2011
battlebomb

Hi fellow gamers,

I'd like to share the bomberman-style game I have been working on lately.
Below you can take a sneak peek on how it will look like:

sneake.png

It will be released on Tuesday October 4, 2011 so be ready to bomb your friends online :D

This is an Alpha release of battlebomb, so do not expect perfection. Actually, we would appreciate if you email us feedback, suggestions, ideas, bugs, what you like, what you don't, what you expect, what you would like to see in a near future, etc. so that one day it becomes the game that you want it to be. If you email us, we will get back to you as soon as possible, expect our answers. :)

It is entirely free, no download nor installation is required. All you need is your web browser! (Unfortunately as of right now, it only works on either Safari or Chrome web browsers, try both to decide which works better for you. Our game DOES NOT use Flash whatsoever.)

Also, no registration is required, all you need is to login with your Facebook account (You will not receive any kind of spam on your profiles, worry not.)

battlebomb is multi-platform, which means you can either play on your Windows, Mac or Linux computer. As earlier mentioned, it's online, so you'll be playing against friends or other players around the world regardless of their Operating System.

If you would like to receive a notification tomorrow as soon as we launch, please go to http://www.battlebomb.net and submit your email. We would love to see your interest beforehand, so we strongly recommend that you do, you might even get a reward <hint, hint> ;)

As of now, feel free to email us any questions at: support@peagames.net

Cheers,
peagames Team

p.s. don't forget to invite all your friends to join us since we'll only be online for 48 hours. ENJOY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.