Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sutekidane

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2005
Ok, I've just gone through like my 5th pair of apple original iPod headphones. Each time, the same thing, one of the headphones starts giving a ton of static and distortion. I don't know what is wrong, but I've never had this problem on any other pair of headphones I've owned except these. I don't know whether to order a new pair under warranty or just forget about it and buy some 3rd party ones that will work for more than a month or two. Anyone with this problem?

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I hate them.

I always keep a spare, but one pair I used the headphone jack (cut off the rest) to keep my G4 quiet on startup, the others I give away.

I like the in-ear headphones from Apple - a bit pricey, but I use them for running and usually get a year of sweaty, bouncing abuse out of them. :D

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Sutekidane said:
I don't know whether to order a new pair under warranty or just forget about it and buy some 3rd party ones that will work for more than a month or two.
Given the fact that this is your fifth pair kind of answers your own question! I wasn't impressed with my Apple earphones so I soon switched back to the comfy pair I had with my old walkman. The sound quality on the Apple 'phones wasn't great but most annoying was the way they fell out my ears all the time.

If you're thinking about third party, there have been quite a few threads where you can pick up recommendations. There are a couple and [URL=https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/98294/[/URL]

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
On the other hand, my partner and i have both been using the Apple earbuds for a year or two... without any significant problems. I do plan on upgrading soon for both bass depth and comfort (that's the biggest complaint I have) but as generic, simple headphones, they're OK.

sidenote: why don't they make wireless headphones for the iPod that allow two sets to connect at once??

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
Sutekidane said:
Ok, I've just gone through like my 5th pair of apple original iPod headphones. Each time, the same thing, one of the headphones starts giving a ton of static and distortion. I don't know what is wrong, but I've never had this problem on any other pair of headphones I've owned except these. I don't know whether to order a new pair under warranty or just forget about it and buy some 3rd party ones that will work for more than a month or two. Anyone with this problem?

are you sure the problem isn't with your iPod?
"Sounds" a bit dodgy to me :p Ditch the apple headphones. They are crap!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.