Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

1102lion_missioncontrol-500x309.jpg

During his keynote address to announce the next generation iPhone, Apple CEO Tim Cook revealed that the company has sold more than 6 million copies of Lion since it launched in July. "This is 80% more than Snow Leopard."

"For another metric, we measure adoption. If you look at Windows 7, it took them about 20 weeks to reach 10% of their base. It took Lion 2 weeks."

Lion is available for $29.99 at the Mac App Store.

Article Link: 6 Million Copies of Lion Purchased via Mac App Store

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Plus, if you figure that all new Macs sold after July 20th shipped with Lion, that means that about 8-10 million sales of Lion after 3 months, which is a pretty impressive uptake rate.

edoates

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2006
10% of base is easier with Mac's

Windows has a MUCH larger installed base than Mac, and more of that base is in business operations. Getting 10% of that large a base, especially in businesses that must vet the updates for stability, security, compatibility with exist apps, etc. is significantly more difficult. I'm actually surprised that it took only 20 weeks to hit 10% of the XP / Vista base.

Windows 7, in my experience, is a major improvement in usability, stability, and security over any prior Windows OS.

So, that "bragging" right by the Apple crew is a bit specious.

Eddie O

PS: I'm a certified Mac FanBoy (tm) since Lisa in the 80's.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
So even in their comparison, they're admitting that more people bought Windows 7, at a faster rate than Lion.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
So even in their comparison, they're admitting that more people bought Windows 7, at a faster rate than Lion.

First, I'll try to make you very happy. Here we go: Apple sells only about five percent of all computers. Only one in twenty computers sold is a Mac. And Apple sells only about five percent of all phones. Only one in twenty phones sold is an iPhone. Does that make you feel good?

And now I'll take it all away: Apple makes more money selling computers than all the other manufacturers together. And Apple makes more money selling phones than all the other manufacturers together. I hope that makes you feel really bad.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
First, I'll try to make you very happy. Here we go: Apple sells only about five percent of all computers. Only one in twenty computers sold is a Mac. And Apple sells only about five percent of all phones. Only one in twenty phones sold is an iPhone. Does that make you feel good?

And now I'll take it all away: Apple makes more money selling computers than all the other manufacturers together. And Apple makes more money selling phones than all the other manufacturers together. I hope that makes you feel really bad.

Well those were unrelated to what I was talking about. I was pointing that Apple saying they took 2 weeks to reach 10% of their installbase, but Windows 7 took 10 times longer. But, the Windows install base is bigger than 10x that of Apple, so in reality Microsoft sold more, faster. Yet Apple are trying to make it look like they sold more.

Thanks for the unrelated news, it neither made me feel good nor bad.

I love that you instantly jumped to the conclusion that Apple doing well would make be upset, and that Apple doing badly would make me happy, but in reality I'm not a fanboy, and making one comment pointing out a mistake in Apples logic does not mean I hate Apple either.

Last edited:

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
You can spin stats anyway you want to meet your needs, that is the downside of stats....but the real news here imho is that 6 million copies of a new OS coming in at 4 plus gigs were DOWNLOADED and installed. That is also not the install base, think of people like me that downloaded it and installed it on two machines but only counts as one sale.

Impressive.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
you can spin this anyway

less Mac users easier to get 10% in less time

Vista was horible, PCs users almost had to updated to Windows 7, where snow leopard is fine so its not such a "must"

Lion is $29.00

Windows was what $399.00

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.