Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the release of updated iPod nano models today bearing new features such as large icons, enhanced fitness features, and sixteen new clock faces.

ipod_nano_1_2_update.jpg

From Apple's press release announcing the new iPod nano:
iPod nano now features larger icons for even easier navigation of its intuitive Multi-Touch user interface, and you can choose from 16 new digital clock faces, ranging from classic analog looks to your favorite Disney characters including Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse. iPod nano now tracks your runs and walks right out of the box with no accessory required, making it even easier to get your fitness program up and running. iPod nano can track the time, pace and distance of your run, the calories you burn, and the number of steps you walk. iPod nano encourages you with motivational real-time voice feedback during your run, available in seven languages, while listening to your favorite music or FM radio station. You can also easily upload workouts to the Nike+ website to set goals, track your progress and challenge friends.

ipod_nano_1_2_update_description.jpg

In addition to the new iPod nano models introduced today, Apple has made the software update available to the previous-generation models released in September 2010. Those iPod nanos carry the same form factor as the current models, and will be essentially identical to the current iPod nanos once the software update has been applied.

Article Link: Apple Updates 2010 iPod Nano with New Interface

pjac

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2007
Now they've given it a more watch like display, are there any good watch straps for it?
:D

Update:
Never mind, another Apple accessory industry has sprung up since last time I looked... still, personal recommendations never hurt.

jrlcopy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
Sweet! Didn't realize the my 2010 nano would get all the announced features. Installed and awesome.

hobbbz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2005
To be clear, you can now use your 2010 Nano to run without a Nike+ pod? Before it would only do pedometer, not running.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Wait, I though Apple always wants to force people into buying the newest model. :p I thought that whenever they say a new model has higher specs (and therefore can run certain features reliably that the older model would run poorly) that it was all lies! So how can they be offering this free upgrade? :) Why not just "lie" again and say that only the new nano can run the new software well enough?

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
So really there is no 2011 model Nano, its the 2010 model with a software update and a new model number slapped on the back. Cant wait for the iFixit teardown.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
So really there is no 2011 model Nano, its the 2010 model with a software update and a new model number slapped on the back. Cant wait for the iFixit teardown.

Yeah, I don't understand that premise whatsoever. No one will upgrade from the 2010 to 2011. There's no real difference in the iPod Touch, either, for that matter. Also, why was not the iPod shuffle and iPod classic discontinued as reported? Basically there were no iPod upgrades this year- only OS tweaks and a white iPod Touch faceplate. Exciting...

Roy G Biv

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2010
The update is UP! I just applied it to my Nano. It's like the future, but today!

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Yeah, I don't understand that premise whatsoever. No one will upgrade from the 2010 to 2011. There's no real difference in the iPod Touch, either, for that matter. Also, why was not the iPod shuffle and iPod classic discontinued as reported? Basically there were no iPod upgrades this year- only OS tweaks and a white iPod Touch faceplate. Exciting...

Because they figured they made the event suck enough.

----------

So now not only did the iPod Touch not get any updates, the iPod Nano didn't get any updates besides software based?

The iPod line is dead.

Last edited:

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Bummer they didn't update the Nano with some kind of wireless communication. I think the idea of the Nano as a "wearable" extension to an iPhone is pretty slick. Notifications for new email, SMS, phone call, maybe a couple of quick SMS reply functions.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Really, if you think about it, the only thing missing from the Nano is bluetooth. For some reason they didn't want to add it this year.

Ashyukun

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
Really, if you think about it, the only thing missing from the Nano is bluetooth. For some reason they didn't want to add it this year.

Pretty much this. I have a bluetooth adapter from my iPod Classic that plugs into the dock, but unfortunately it doesn't have the right passcode for my TuneBug Shake so I have to use my iPhone. Adding Bluetooth to the Nano would have made it worth my selling my 2010 and buying the new one.

Still- I do like the software update. Nixie Tube clock face? :D

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
That is pretty cool that the old model is getting the new software. I wouldn't have put it past Apple in the slightest to gyp them there! Especially with so little new and exciting in the new one - is the Nike+ the unique feature still?

I guess they've gone as far as they care to in the purely music iPod space. The Bluetooth thing would be cool (everything is better with Bluetooth) with the connection to iPhone or whatever, but really, when is that going to be any more use than the iPhone in your pocket itself?

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
Because they figured they made the event suck enough.

Hahahahaha! :D I approve.

Frankly, I'm a little shocked and disappointed, but as I've said, it's what they didn't talk about that I was unhappy with.

Really cool that they released the OS on the new Nano for the previous one. That makes the ones in the refurb store a good deal if you don't mind the subtraction of Nike+; unless that is all software based, too.

Samuriajackon

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_10 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E600 Safari/6533.18.5)

Woot! Now i dont have to buy a new one!

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Apple said:
iPod nano now features larger icons for even easier navigation of its intuitive Multi-Touch user interface

If the nano's screen was so "intuitive" it wouldn't have needed an update to make the icons larger.

Ashyukun

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
If the nano's screen was so "intuitive" it wouldn't have needed an update to make the icons larger.
How intuitive the interface was/is has nothing to do with whether people with larger hands/fingers would fat-finger the icons. The new interface streamlines things slightly and makes it easier to select what you want while moving- i.e., running. I won't deny that there have been plenty of times when I've wanted a 'Home' button instead of having to swipe back through 4-5 layers of menu to get back to the main icon screen. And even that isn't a problem with it being intuitive, it's just less efficient than I'd like...

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
How intuitive the interface was/is has nothing to do with whether people with larger hands/fingers would fat-finger the icons. The new interface streamlines things slightly and makes it easier to select what you want while moving- i.e., running. I won't deny that there have been plenty of times when I've wanted a 'Home' button instead of having to swipe back through 4-5 layers of menu to get back to the main icon screen. And even that isn't a problem with it being intuitive, it's just less efficient than I'd like...

Re-read Apple's press release. They call the screen intuitive, not the interface. My point is, if it's apparently so intuitive it should be able to pick up exactly where the user is touching - it shouldn't need larger icons just so people select the right option. Either way it doesn't really matter, in the end it's Apple's choice what they do and how they do it.

I definitely agree about the lack of a physical home button - I don't have one of the multi-touch nanos myself, but when I've played around with them in the Apple Store, I have found navigating backwards through the menus to probably be the most annoying part. Even a little button on the side of the iPod would be sufficient, IMO.

lesiu

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2011
2011 iPod update disappointment

I am disappointed to the iPod line update. icons clocks ??
where is the new low power Bluetooth functionality ?

it was too hard to update the Touch to have the A5 speed/apps/functions ?
(AirPlay/1080p/2.4f etc ...) ??
12months for adding memory and white ?
:eek:

following the the new iPhone release scheme change:
how long it will take now to have the A5 engineered in the Touch ??
another 12 months :confused:

I have strange feeling that apple is slowing down on innovation
just after won enough or dominated a market .. :(

skippy911

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2006
Does the new update allow the screen to always remain on, or do still have to press a button to get the screen to turn on? If I had a watch I would want to always see the face, and not have to press button first.

maviso5

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2009
Kent
Wait, I though Apple always wants to force people into buying the newest model. :p I thought that whenever they say a new model has higher specs (and therefore can run certain features reliably that the older model would run poorly) that it was all lies! So how can they be offering this free upgrade? :) Why not just "lie" again and say that only the new nano can run the new software well enough?

is the old (2010) one multi touch? is that the difference? or did i miss that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.