Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ade2bee

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2009
!!!!!

£8 For something that most, if not all, phone companies include in the box. Come on Apple you're selling a premium product!

It's a stupid piece of plastic for goodness sake!

----------

I think it's odd they don't offer this at least for sale outside the EU. I would prefer this.

However, I'll assume it only works for power and not anything else the dock connector can be used for.

Nope they work throughout the sync and other functions

ade2bee

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2009
Or required to include the adapter either?

In that case how does the law help anyone?

You're still completely dependent on a PROPRIETARY adapter!

Sounds like someone missed a rather glaring loophole. :confused:

We're going through a softly softly faze right now, but if you wish to trade after 2014 u'll have to supply a method of MicroUSB charging. It came in in 2010

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I'd be a little concerned the add on would somehow damage the dock connector.

Also... this product sounds outright silly, now that I'm thinking about it.

The hypothetical situation that this creates a solution for is the one where you've managed to already forget one component, the normal USB to 30 Pin Connector cable, but somehow managed to both remember your mini-USB to 30 Pin Connector and found a USB to mini-USB cable.

ade2bee

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2009
needs an adaptor - kind of defeats the purpose!

So included is a Power plug, sync cable and adaptor, or will the sync cable be in 2 parts - usb cable and adaptor? otherwise all its doing is creating more waste, which the legislation is trying to cut down on.

Apple will be the only company doing this due to the various docking system offshoot products that are used and available.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
£8 For something that most, if not all, phone companies include in the box. Come on Apple you're selling a premium product!

It's a stupid piece of plastic for goodness sake!

Chill.

It does come in the box for new iPhones (at least the ones sold in Europe).

If you got your iPhone before then (or lost yours) then you can buy a replacement.

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
That's probably the most elegant adapter Apple's ever made. It's compact and unobtrusive.

Also, it's strange that most iPhones are black, yet all their accessories are white.

I'm so glad it's white. All my bags are black or dark grey and I can never find black accessories or connectors without dumping the whole bag out...

Gary

----------

I was out bike riding after the announcement today, and instead of enjoying nature I'm day-dreaming of my new iPhone, and this issue popped into my head. If I had a connector like this, I'd probably keep it in my backpack so if I'm in someone's car and need a top off, I'd be all set.

Gary

Last edited:

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
The point of the legislation is that in the future, the smartphones in EU won't be selling with a power adaptor as most likely everybody will already have one, which would reduce massively the waste associated with the redundant power adaptors.

Of course phones with another power plug like the iPhone will still ship with their proprietary adaptator because Apple cannot count on the owner having that specific power adaptator.

So Apple is going to stop providing chargers with a new phone?

Who, more profit for Apple. Make you fork out for the AV connection kit if you don't have an old charger floating around.

DESNOS

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2011
I really don't understand why so many europeans bend over and take anything the EU dishes at them. What happens when USB becomes obsolete? Ever given that some thought? Well, anyone who hasn't been asleep for the last decade will tell you that bureaucrats take years to overturn anything, if they ever.

It adds cost to every product sold now, that is largely unnecessary. Really, do we need to have a charger everywhere we go? I personally have never had this problem, but maybe I'm special? If the phone dies quickly, the solution isn't to mandate chargers everywhere, it's to buy a phone that doesn't have terrible battery life. It really is that simple. Vote with your money, not with your mouth. If your HTC Thunderbolt dies in 4 hours, well then guess what, there are many other Android phones out there that get the iPhone's battery life, and then there's also the iPhone itself. You people are also hurting innovation in other countries because when USB does become obsolete, Apple will still have to provide the adapter, until the EU gets around to overturning this nonsense.

Now for the really confounding part, this will be voted down, but I can't for the life of me figure out why... It just makes no logical sense!:confused:

Last edited:

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
Or required to include the adapter either?

In that case how does the law help anyone?

You're still completely dependent on a PROPRIETARY adapter!

Sounds like someone missed a rather glaring loophole. :confused:

Why do you think they don't have to include the adapter? They are including it with the 4s. I am sure the law had some date where it became effective. Most laws don't go into effect when they are passed.

----------

Good addition, but where I'm from an Apple 30-pin connector cable is far more common than a micro-USB cable...

I am sure that is true most places :). Since my house has the same number of kindles as iOS devices, we are split down the middle.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I think it's odd they don't offer this at least for sale outside the EU. I would prefer this.

However, I'll assume it only works for power and not anything else the dock connector can be used for.

it is typical Apple here. Apple is following the letter of the law but clearly they are saying FU to the spirit of the law.

The entire point was to reduce the need for adapters and for power plugs and wires like that to be shared. Apple is in clear violation of the spirit of the law.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
The entire point was to reduce the need for adapters and for power plugs and wires like that to be shared. Apple is in clear violation of the spirit of the law.
Actually, it is more like Apple is in violation of your (mis)understanding of the spirit of the law. As explained before, the law was intended to reduce the need to buy a new charger with every new phone purchase. Simple passive adaptors fit the bill nicely.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Actually, it is more like Apple is in violation of your (mis)understanding of the spirit of the law. As explained before, the law was intended to reduce the need to buy a new charger with every new phone purchase. Simple passive adaptors fit the bill nicely.

Tell me how is the passive adaptor going to work. That means if someone wants to borrow a charge from ANY other smart phone user they would require the abaptor. It also means they would need to have more junk around instead of sharing chargers between devices. I think of all my battery devices my iPod screws me up the most in terms of charing as I have to use a seperate cable for that one and have to remember to make sure it is plugged in.
Compare this to my other things (kindle, Atrix, hell even my blue tooth head set) all use micro USB and can share cables between them.

The spirit of the law was to have everything share a common charging cable with out having to use any type of adapter. Take a look at all the other smart phone manufactures and you notice something, they all are using MicroUSB. Hell they are using them on their dumb phones and you are seeing them on even devices that just need to be charged because it is a common point.

Apple is the only one going against that trend using there on 30 pin connector that is not a standard to anything but Apple. All the would need to do is put a micro USB port on the side and everything would be fine. It is not like they would have to replace the 30 pin and the USB could also do syncing and charging as well. Not like it would require anything extra as they already have the chips on the phone to handle it.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Compare this to my other things (kindle, Atrix, hell even my blue tooth head set) all use micro USB and can share cables between them.
Lucky you. I have Apple 30-pin, micro USB, mini USB, Sansa 30-pin, and a Nokia with the old stick/pin power connector. That's just phones and mp3 players.

This topic never mattered to me. I make sure I have the appropriate USB adapter wires, then I can charge either via computer or a USB wall wart. Even in my car I have a device with standard USB connection so any of them can be charged.

****, forgot my mp3 recorder. That's another proprietary connector, 15-pin or something.

Last edited:

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Lucky you. I have Apple 30-pin, micro USB, mini USB, Sansa 30-pin, and a Nokia with the old stick/pin power connector. That's just phones and mp3 players.

This topic never mattered to me. I make sure I have the appropriate USB adapter wires, then I can charge either via computer or a USB wall wart. Even in my car I have a device with standard USB connection so any of them can be charged.

****, forgot my mp3 recorder. That's another proprietary connector, 15-pin or something.

reduce it to thinks made in the past 2-3 years and you will see it drop. Older stuff has the proparty crap but since all those companies came together in 2009 it been pretty much MicroUSB everything. Well everyone but for Apple who signed on and then more or less wanted it to be greatly weaken.

It almost seemed Feel good at first and then when Apple saw it was really going to happen almost completely backed out of it.

pdemazieres

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2011
I really don't understand why so many europeans bend over and take anything the EU dishes at them. What happens when USB becomes obsolete? Ever given that some thought? Well, anyone who hasn't been asleep for the last decade will tell you that bureaucrats take years to overturn anything, if they ever.

It adds cost to every product sold now, that is largely unnecessary. Really, do we need to have a charger everywhere we go? I personally have never had this problem, but maybe I'm special? If the phone dies quickly, the solution isn't to mandate chargers everywhere, it's to buy a phone that doesn't have terrible battery life. It really is that simple. Vote with your money, not with your mouth. If your HTC Thunderbolt dies in 4 hours, well then guess what, there are many other Android phones out there that get the iPhone's battery life, and then there's also the iPhone itself. You people are also hurting innovation in other countries because when USB does become obsolete, Apple will still have to provide the adapter, until the EU gets around to overturning this nonsense.

Now for the really confounding part, this will be voted down, but I can't for the life of me figure out why... It just makes no logical sense!:confused:[

=====================================================
well personally i have a drawer full of different chargers related to different mobile phone i have been using since years an years. I think this law from EU to have a Common charger or a common charging interface for all mobile phone is a very good thing for every body and for the environment. On top of that it should reduce the cost of buying a mobile phone as charger will soon be an option to buy]

ArcaneDevice

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2003
outside the crazy house, NC
I really don't understand why so many europeans bend over and take anything the EU dishes at them. What happens when USB becomes obsolete? Ever given that some thought?

How long has USB been around?

How many times have Apple changed the dock connector specs since it was introduced?

Since micro-usb was introduced Apple have switched from Firewire to USB, changed voltage specs on dock connectors and changed dock port shapes. There's more chance Apple will leave older dock specs in the dust and force everyone to upgrade to ThunderDockWire or some such than a standard which almost every consumer electronics company in the world is already using becoming obsolete.

I don't understand why users bend over and take whatever Apple dishes at them. Especially when it usually means you have to spend money to get legacy products that work perfectly well to be compatible. :rolleyes:

As for forgetting the adapter, what if you forget your dock cable? Same thing. Spurious argument.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
I really don't understand why so many europeans bend over and take anything the EU dishes at them. What happens when USB becomes obsolete? Ever given that some thought?

Because it's for mini usb charging cables that plug into a power socket in the wall.

USB becoming obsolete doesn't have a thing to do with it carrying power from a wall socket.

Jodles

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2008

As some people have said, it makes environmental sense in the long run. Regarding why "... europeans bend over and take anything the EU dishes at them", well, I'm from one of the few countries in Europe not part of EU, but nevertheless, it's called democracy :p. If we're not happy with what they're doing we elect other people (it's a direct election every 5 years). If we refuse to take anything the EU dish at us, then we're undermining the idea of democracy and kind of descend into anarchy (it's not meant that extreme,, but I couldn't find better words...)..

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
I really don't understand why so many europeans bend over and take anything the EU dishes at them. What happens when USB becomes obsolete?

But by definition, USB won't be obsolete if it's still being used as the primary phone charging connection throughout the EU. Even if USB becomes obsolete as a data/device connector, that doesn't mean it can't continue to serve as a power connector; for that purpose it's just really a particular shape of plug/socket with the electrical connections in a particular place, same as any other charger out there. Until we see inductive charging become mainstream, what other type of physical power connection could possibly make that obsolete?

And as others have already said, this legislation wasn't ever about making life easier for mobile phone owners, it was about reducing the amount of electrical waste (i.e. redundant chargers) being disposed of and the associated environmental issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.