Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LS1

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2007
Lame

How is there not a 16 GB ipod touch? 8 GB is so small, even just for music.

By the looks of this "update" Apple will probably be killing off the ipod touch in a couple of years.

tablo13

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I fall into the category of people who will not pay $70+ a month for a cell phone data plan, so I've been interested in the iPod Touch. But the lack of a true HD camera in last year's model stopped me buying it. This year's model has the same underwhelming camera, which means Apple loses out on my money again. Sorry Apple, I WANT to buy your product, but you have to make it worth my while. I want an iPhone without the phone. Simple enough. You have all the parts.

Get an iPhone 4?

andreiru

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2008
Kurgan, RF
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; ru-ru) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Heck with gaming, my touch is struggling with most basic tasks. Dont know if this is sw or what?! Now last hope is iOS 5. Maybe that'll bring a speedier touch.

Fresh Tendrils

macrumors regular
May 14, 2011
The NZ prices have improved a lot, shockingly they're better than the American prices now (US$189/281/379). Time for me to grab a 64 gig, I think :)

Yeah, your right the prices have dropped substantially [though I think your currency conversions are wrong]. 32GB was NZ$500, now its NZ$430. I think the 64GB has dropped about the same amount. I think the reductions are probably readjustments based upon changes to the exchange rate. It would be interesting to know from any Aussies what kind of price drops they had, because I remember a few Aussies recently complaining about prices being far too high considering the strength of the Aus$ against the US$.

Thanatoast

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2002
Denver
Biggest disappointment of the keynote by far...

How hard would it have been to put a usable camera and a better chip in there? Or at least bump the memory on the base model to 16GB. I love my iPod touch 4G, but the camera on it is total crap. I don't understand why Apple continues to have the iPod touch be treated like a 2nd class citizen. Who honestly thinks people would skip out on buying an iPhone if the iPod touch had a similar camera and processor?

If they bumped the specs they'd also have to bump the price. An unlocked iPhone is around $600. Nobody's gonna buy a iPod, even a really neat one, for that much.

Danoc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
You're all ultimately criticizing Apple for the new ipod touch, but where are the competitors? Zune is dead.

iOS is by far the best operating system on small devices like this. I am not talking about smartphone.

MacIke

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2003
The Frigid Wasteland of MN
This pissed offness of (lack of) update seems to be the camera.

If they had just gone to a 4MP or even a 2MP camera, I would buy two of them without questions.

I do not want to pay for the data plan. I want an iPod Touch with some teeth.

MacsAre1

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2005
Florida
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; ru-ru) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Heck with gaming, my touch is struggling with most basic tasks. Dont know if this is sw or what?! Now last hope is iOS 5. Maybe that'll bring a speedier touch.

What generation do you have that's running slow? I sold my first gen and am selling my iPhone 3G because they're too slow. I want to get a new iPod Touch but need something with updated hardware so Apple won't drop support on their next OS update like they have all their other devices. In my experience, major iOS updates = slower devices.

Johnnyboy711

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

Im very dissapointed with Apple, at least include a better camera, i mean isnt that a given? Wow, apple did nothing all year when it came to ipods, im not buying the iphone, guess ill just wait till next year to buy the ipt, this sucks

TonyBarber573

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2011
So, it's pretty sweet feature that the volume up button on the iPhone 4 with iOS 5 will also double as a shutter button for the camera.

Does anyone know if this will be true for the iPod Touch as well with iOS 5?

ade2bee

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2009
Bade move

Is it me or is Apple just taking the chance, whilst it can, to take a breath and claw back some of it's development investment back. Remember, no-major upgrade + high sales = big profits.

The touch needs a really good camera, but as one Apple Store employee said, they want to keep the phone as the premium article... Foolish.

The iPT as created a whole little eco-sphere of it's own and Apple could & should take advantage of that, instead of treat them as 'you can't afford an iPhone, nah-nah-ne-nah-nah!'

Yet again a bad move...

----------

Get an iPhone 4?

Q: What sort of comment is that?! A: very arrogant one from someone in a financial position to make it!

I hope Samsung have the sense to make a player version of their Galaxy... Oh but Apple will hit them with a patent

----------

As I said in a reply earlier but I'll EXPAND...

I hope Samsung have the sense to make a player version of their Galaxy... Oh but Apple will hit them with a patent issue

This is where the patents affect the customer and not just the competition keeping us in our place too

----------

You're all ultimately criticizing Apple for the new ipod touch, but where are the competitors? Zune is dead.

iOS is by far the best operating system on small devices like this. I am not talking about smartphone.

I really hope Samsung have the sense to make a player version of their Galaxy... Oh but Apple will hit them with a patent issue

This is where the patents affect the customer and not just the competition keeping us in our place too

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
very disappointed in no spec increase or price drop (I don't count the 8GB, too little memory and they're just pricing it low to get a headline)

Keep prices the same if you increase your specs (A5 please) or keep the specs and drop the prices.

Too big a jump between 8GB and 32GB, 32GB is too expensive (£250 still in the UK) and its already out of date techwise - as soon as games start taking advantage of the A5 in the ipad2 and iphone 4S you'll be left out.

Just dumb IMO. I still have a 2nd gen and was ready to update for wifi sync etc, but I'll wait it out

----------

Is it me or is Apple just taking the chance, whilst it can, to take a breath and claw back some of it's development investment back. Remember, no-major upgrade + high sales = big profits.

I think its just you. They don't need to claw back anything, they make some of the highest margins on consumer electronics in the world.

caspersoong

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2011
I think there is no A5 in it. The tech specs do not list 1080p h.264 playback, only 720p unlike iPad 2 and iPhone 4S. I am quite disappointed.

lesiu

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2011
+1 Kindle Fire

seems like apple is abandoning innovation after dominating a market ..

+1 Kindle Fire

LeiQQ

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2011
Taipei, Taiwan
That's the biggest thing I'd like to see in a touch. The phone now has more memory and the better processor, seems dumb not to include that in the touch. I assume that means it can't use Siri either.

The touch has been competitive but now that Amazon is offering the Fire, that's looking pretty good at that price point - a decent Touch improvement could have made it more appealing but now it seems like Apple is slacking off on this one.

When I saw the $199 price I thought the same exact thing. I mean there is no upgrade at all there. I am thinking if there is someone that got an iPhone 4 already but they could have some features of the iPhone that could be hooked into a new iPod touch, some people would buy it. I really think in the future if there is a 3G iPod touch that a lot of people will just give up on a phone all together. I think of how little I use my phone for actual phone calls.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Wish we could have gotten an iPod 5th Gen with A5, better camera and 128GB of storage, but honestly, I'm not torn up by the current iPod touch for 199 is a solid device, and storage isn't as important as it used to be, although I'd take 16GB on the 199 model.

I've recently switched to Spotify for my music, so I can't really buy a shuffle, nano or classic, and 199 for a touch makes it at a price where I can pick one up to hold me over until I get the iPhone 4S this december.

charlieroberts

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2007
iphone 4

I think whoever said to just buy an iPhone 4 didn't mean it in a derogative way.
YOu can get them pretty cheap on ebay from all the anxious upgraders. And then just use it like an iPT.

I think that sound pretty good to me. Besides, pretty much everyone treated their iPhone like a spoiled baby, so they are bound to be in pretty mint condition.

So, yeah, I suggest anyone who is not happy, just get an iPhone4! That´s what I'm doing anyway.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
How is there not a 16 GB ipod touch? 8 GB is so small, even just for music.

By the looks of this "update" Apple will probably be killing off the ipod touch in a couple of years.

With iCloud coming into the picture, I think 8GB is more and more do able. With iCloud, Netflix and Spotify, I won't need to have any large amount of music saved to my iPod.

I'd certainly take a 16GB iPod touch, but I think a low end iPod touch for the lowest price possible has a nice spot in Apple line up with the cloud being pushed as hard as it is.

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
How does one find a truly reputable seller on eBay--and know that the iPhone 4 has not been abused?

I'm particularly concerned about battery life... it'd be all too easy to buy a used one and discover someone had used it up!

I think whoever said to just buy an iPhone 4 didn't mean it in a derogative way.
YOu can get them pretty cheap on ebay from all the anxious upgraders. And then just use it like an iPT.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.