Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

568787_large.png

Firemint has always been one to quickly jump on any new Apple technology announcements. With the iPhone 4S announcement, the company has announced support for the A5 chip found in the iPhone 4S and iPad 2 to provide enhanced visuals to their games.
Real Racing 2 [$4.99] and Real Racing 2 HD [$6.99] are set to receive a free and new update that'll add an extra layer of graphical goodness on top of their pre-existing sizzle, all in the service of harnessing the A5 chip. New dynamic shadows and lighting, increased polygon counts, reflections, and exposure effects are all being added in the game's latest update, which should hit pretty soon.
Firemint is also planning on offering split-screen "Party Play" mode that allows 4S and iPad 2 owners to allow 4 players to compete on the same large screen:

Article Link: 'Real Racing 2' to Support iPhone 4S's A5 and Split Screen AirPlay

Devilmanftw

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's a phone! and it can do split screen gaming on TV!!! Wow!!! I hope my atari console can do that...

AirPlay certainly is a must have technology to be ahead of the competitors, but there can be more impressive thing you can do with it. (Maybe fully controlling your car with iPhone? Hope my driving using iPhone on real car don't suck as much as playing need for speed)

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
The better racer, cheaper, local multiscreen multiplayer

Asphalt 6: Adrenaline is more an arcade racer than a simulator (RR2) but it offers the higher speed feeling, much more frantic action (jumps, ramps, shotcuts, collisions in slow motion, collect nitro drops, smash urban clutter…), the prettier tracks by far (drive during normal traffic on public streets) and most attractive supercars and bikes.

It offers video out as well. HD version for iPad in a time-limited sale right now.
http://itunes.apple.com/app/asphalt-6-adrenaline-hd/id400975931?mt=8

And MUCH better than "Party Play" (or online-multiplayer) is local multiplayer with some iPads (or iPhones/iPod touches) via Bluetooth in my honest opinion! Works even with the Mac version (WiFi) of the game. A complete new and exquisite racer feeling. Runs pretty well with Asphalt (since version 5) and RR2 as well. Easy to set up.

Have a blast with your friends! (And no, I am not the dev, just a recommendation.)

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

My htc smokeit2 has been able to do this for years

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
Yes. That's the real strength of the iOS devices. This and all those fancy (photo, video…) music, dj apps (Nanostudio, Djay w. auto beatmatching and AirPlay…) and synths (Korg, Rebirth, Sunrizer…) connected with WIST technology (match two or more iOS synths via Bluetooth) and AudioCopy (supported by 60 DAW apps).

Stands out of all mobile systems. By far!

Mac21ND

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
Asphalt 6: Adrenaline is more an arcade racer than a simulator (RR2) but it offers the higher speed feeling, much more frantic action (jumps, ramps, shotcuts, collisions in slow motion, collect nitro drops, smash urban clutter…), the prettier tracks by far (drive during normal traffic on public streets) and most attractive supercars and bikes.

It offers video out as well. HD version for iPad in a time-limited sale right now.
http://itunes.apple.com/app/asphalt-6-adrenaline-hd/id400975931?mt=8

And MUCH better than "Party Play" (or online-multiplayer) is local multiplayer with some iPads (or iPhones/iPod touches) via Bluetooth in my honest opinion! Works even with the Mac version (WiFi) of the game. A complete new and exquisite racer feeling. Runs pretty well with Asphalt (since version 5) and RR2 as well. Easy to set up.

Have a blast with your friends! (And no, I am not the dev, just a recommendation.)

Huge Adrenaline 6 fan. I was disappointed in Real Racing 2. It's "real" but you're right; sometimes it's not nearly as fun. Looking forward to Adrenaline 7.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Nintendo must be in a state of panic right now. Apple is about to steal their handheld market.

mac00l

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
Nintendo must be in a state of panic right now. Apple is about to steal their handheld market.

About to?? I'm not sure about figures, but I believe it is safe to say that today more people play on an iPhone/iPod touch/iPad than in any Nintendo handheld device.

Where I live I've seen far more kids playing with iPads than with a DS or something of that sort.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
So how many of you can do that on Samsung Galaxy S II?

I think I should check the spec sheet. Maybe its there?

:cool:

lol

i'll go check that spec sheet. :D

Seriously -- this is a big reason I love iOS -- the app ecosystem is amazing. I love pulling out my iPad to play scrabble while on a family vacation and using the iPhone as a tile rack. I love tapping a button and seamlessly sending the video to my TV. I love things that are unfragmented and well integrated and just work without having to provide 8 pages of instructions to a family member to show them how to setup some cool feature I've managed to configure on my phone with just the right apps.

What I don't like about iOS is that sometimes that integration means the coolest features may not be immediately available to third-party apps. AirPlay at first. Probably Siri next. I still cannot choose to open a highlighted date / event in Pocket Informant calendar instead of the default calendar. I still can't tap-and-hold a location in Maps and open it in Navigon. I still can't tap-and-hold a highlighted "phone number" and open it in a UPS app to track the shipment (because I don't like to "call" tracking numbers). I don't know if Android provides this kind of functionality, but it seems to me that iOS should be opening more things up to third-party developers. Real Racing HD is a clear example of what third party developers can do to push your product forward.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
About to?? I'm not sure about figures, but I believe it is safe to say that today more people play on an iPhone/iPod touch/iPad than in any Nintendo handheld device.

Where I live I've seen far more kids playing with iPads than with a DS or something of that sort.

Tim just said in the keynote that the iPod Touch is the most popular portable game player now.

This is really cool that they are doing multiple streams. I didn't know AirPlay could do that! :eek: :cool: :apple:

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Why does the iPad version get a map on screen, while the iPhone version just mirrors the image?

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

While Apple can hurt them in the ultra casual market, the only way they could lure away more serious gamers is if they added a d-pad and some buttons (especially shoulder buttons).

Perhaps...except that the iPhone/iPod Touch doesnt have physical controls (which really are the best for most gaming) and the list of AAA titles Nintendo does. That said, Im glad to see folks like Epic take a really contemplative look at what the iOS can facilitate. Cheers

Winter Charm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008

This is true. Cook even said this in his keynote. iPod is the most popular handheld gaming device in the world.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
This is true. Cook even said this in his keynote. iPod is the most popular handheld gaming device in the world.

The iPod touch is sold about 60 million units collectively. The original DS has sold over 146 million units collectively.

Winter Charm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008
True, but you can't deny the novelty of being able to meet at a friends house and play on an appleTV :D !!

Yeah. and wow. I'm totally impressed. 4 simultaneous wirelessly displayed screens. on 1 :apple: TV. Mind = Blown :D

----------

Utter B******t.

----------

The iPod touch is sold about 60 million units collectively. The original DS has sold over 146 million units collectively.

Interesting. I guess I misunderstood :p haha. Maybe he meant the iOS platform. :p Sorry. I am :confused:

holmesf

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2001
Tim just said in the keynote that the iPod Touch is the most popular portable game player now.

This is really cool that they are doing multiple streams. I didn't know AirPlay could do that! :eek: :cool: :apple:

Airplay most certainly cannot do multiple streams. The rendering is most likely achieved by networking all the devices together, performing the rendering for each player on the Apple A5 device, and sending the resulting video out in a single stream.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
Airplay most certainly cannot do multiple streams. The rendering is most likely achieved by networking all the devices together, performing the rendering for each player on the Apple A5 device, and sending the resulting video out in a single stream.

Makes sense since I saw they said that you only have to have ONE device with an A5 which serves as a host for the other players.

Thanks for the heads up :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.