Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Devie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
The Mini can drive the 20" ACD at full reso, but I've heard it's a bit laggy when doing the cool graphic thingos
As for upgrading, nope cant be done.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
No you cant upgrade the chip. driving a display with email is one thing,driving a display with doom3 is another. Apples biggest problem is poor graphics. They use it to seperate model lines which is stupid and has cost them market share over the years. As long as you dont want to play games the mini is fine. you could say that about any machine made the past 10 years though. Its sad that no one is at home over at apple in their gpu dept the past few years.

joshua_msu

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2004
chicago (formerly detroit)
Its a Mac (meaning generally a weak graphics card) and its a 500 dollar computer (also meaning a generally weak graphics card). Cant expect much.

As far as your question, Ive seen it on a 20 inch monitor, Ive seen it with a 17 inch. It gets the job done, but dont expect to play many games (given with a Mac also). Your DVD's will be fine.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
macbaseball said:
How about watching DVDs - will the motion blur?

Don't worry. Your DVDs will be fine. And they won't blur-- they would just get choppy. But that won't happen.

It is a display card. It will display your graphics. It will not game, but it will manage fairly well. Don't expect to play Doom 3 on it but then again, its a card that was placed in there so that you didn't have to share your system RAM with the video display.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Not to mention DVD blurring is the cause of the display, not the graphic card. If your LCD blows, you'll see blurring, no matter if you're using a Radeon 9200 or a nVidia 6800 Ultra. And even further, the burden of encoding, processing and displaying of the DVD movie is placed on the CPU, not the graphics card (well, until Tiger comes out that is), so your graphic card barely makes any difference. And the 1.25/1.42 GHz G4 are damn good chips for the price. So your mini will do damn nigh anything you want it to - edit movies, encode DVDs, rip music, whatever you ask it to do... except gaming. And yeah, 3D rendering is probably not the best idea on the mini either.

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
my mini is attached to a 21" apple studio display (@ 1600 x 1200).
It works just fine DVD playback and all.
Nanosaur is choppy on full res though, i didn't buy this for gaming ;)

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Who playes games on 32 MB VRAM @ 1280x768+ resolution?

I dont agree that mini cant play games. It can and very well compared to my eMac. I still play UT2004 though and its playable. I imagine how well it would run on 1.42 G4 :cool:

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
eXan said:
Who playes games on 32 MB VRAM @ 1280x768+ resolution?

I dont agree that mini cant play games. It can and very well compared to my eMac. I still play UT2004 though and its playable. I imagine how well it would run on 1.42 G4 :cool:

I'm playing World of Wacraft at 800x600, all details low/off and I usually get around 15-25 FPS (depends on what's on the screen).

Sure it looks crappy that way, but it still runs enough to keep playing it.

Just waiting for that iMac G5 rev.B (hoping they'll at least upgrade the thing to a Radeon 9700 Mobility/128MB).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.