Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iAAPL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
Wisconsin
So I was listening to WWDC coverage on TWiT Live on Monday, and when they were talking about something in iOS 5, Tom Merrit mentioned something about automatic podcast downloading. I have iOS 5 installed on my iPhone 4, but I don't have Lion, just Snow Leopard. I haven't found anything yet, but has anyone else? I'm a student and work 40+ hours a week at a golf course. I keep my iPhone-supporting earmuffs on pretty much all day. Usually I listen to Pandora, but I've got to really slow down on my data use, and it would be really convenient to have my podcasts download overnight on my WiFi, so it's ready to go right away in the morning. [REDACTED*] I wouldn't be opposed to having my iMac turn on early in the morning [ADDED: , but apparently WiFi sync isn't enabled yet.] Is there something you can do with iCloud to make this work? [REDACTED*] Is there a good app that automatically downloads podcasts? Any suggestions?

*Sorry andythursby

Last edited:

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
I haven't gotten WiFi syncing to work yet (yes, I have iTunes 10.5), and I wouldn't be opposed to having my iMac turn on early in the morning. Is there something you can do with iCloud to make this work? Has anyone gotten WiFi syncing to work?

as has been said here in MANY threads, even one specifically titled about wifi syncing... IT'S NOT ENABLED IN THIS BETA! It's cleared stated in the release notes that this is the case....

allonym

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Of the four that I've tried, Instacast is my favourite.

Scuby

macrumors regular
May 16, 2010
So iOS 5 doesn't download podcasts automatically if you're subscribed and using iCloud? I'd assumed that now iOS can function without a computer host, subscribing to podcasts would be built in one way or another.

David

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
So iOS 5 doesn't download podcasts automatically if you're subscribed and using iCloud? I'd assumed that now iOS can function without a computer host, subscribing to podcasts would be built in one way or another.

David

as far as i know, subscriptions don't come from the cloud yet well not in the UK, but deffo will wifi sync on official release. i know you can manually download from iTunes without a computer at the mo.

Scuby

macrumors regular
May 16, 2010
as far as i know, subscriptions don't come from the cloud yet well not in the UK, but deffo will wifi sync on official release. i know you can manually download from iTunes without a computer at the mo.

Booo. It's been strangely missing for years, you'd think that subscribing to podcasts (and, remember, it was Apple who popularised podcasts to start with) from on your iDevice would have been a basic feature since iOS first appeared. What's the point in a weekly podcast if you have to go looking for it every week? If you can now subscribe to magazines (once the iMagazineShelf or whatever it's called is enabled) then it shouldn't be a huge leap to allow podcasts to be subscribed to and downloaded automatically too... you'd think? :confused:

David

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I would love for them to add this before final release. If I could refresh all my podcasts right from the phone I would have no need to sync with my computer for long periods of time. I know there are several app store apps that do this really nicely but nothing beats having it baked in to the OS.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Booo. It's been strangely missing for years, you'd think that subscribing to podcasts (and, remember, it was Apple who popularised podcasts to start with) from on your iDevice would have been a basic feature since iOS first appeared. What's the point in a weekly podcast if you have to go looking for it every week? If you can now subscribe to magazines (once the iMagazineShelf or whatever it's called is enabled) then it shouldn't be a huge leap to allow podcasts to be subscribed to and downloaded automatically too... you'd think? :confused:

David

it may kick in in official release. we dunno yet. but that's what wifi sync is for

I would love for them to add this before final release. If I could refresh all my podcasts right from the phone I would have no need to sync with my computer for long periods of time. I know there are several app store apps that do this really nicely but nothing beats having it baked in to the OS.

like i said above, there's wifi sync, which will automatically sync your device for iTunes overnight whilst you sleep, so as long as you don't mind the PC being on with iTunes overnight, you're ok.

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
Reports I'm reading is you still can't sync podcasts with GM (and not using itunes).

What a shame...........

austinguy23

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2008
Really? It still doesn't sync podcasts?! How could they leave that out...it's such a basic function.

protobiont

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
I recommend downcast.

Fortunately, several app developers have stepped in where Apple dropped the ball.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.