Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wingston

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2010
Southend on Sea, Essex, UK
I have a G5 1.8 dual core, 4.5gb of ram running OS X 10.4.11. I battled to install 10.5 on it and ended up taking the secondary drive out and sticking it in my Mac Pro. Eventually managed to format it 'GUID Partition' and got the OS installed. Stuck it back in the G5 and it appears as a startup disk option. But when I select it the machine keeps reverting back to the original 10.4.11. If I disconnect the drive with 10.4.11 I just get the little alternating face and question mark as if I have no drive in the machine. Also tried swapping the drives around the slots as a last ditch attempt that I thought wouldn't work and I was right. Can anyone help? I fired up this machine and stuck a third party airport card in it but in the three years since I used it in anger a lot has changed. I can't get the latest iTunes or Adobe flash played installed and a whole bunch of stuff needs 10.5 or above. Any ideas anyone. I am going to try disconnecting the airport card and I'll come back if it makes a difference.
Thanks
Phil.
:eek: :(

VanneDC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Dubai, UAE
wth, installing 10.5 should not be a drama...

have you got the retail disk? does disk util from booting off the retail 10.5 disk not work???

bloody trippy!!!

and a 1.8 DC?? i doubt that since they never made them.. you mean a dual processor??

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
There is no 1.8GHz dual core PowerMac G5. But there is a 1.8GHz dual processor.

You made it wrong, in order for the powermac to boot on the drive (leopard), it should be partitioned and formatted as APM or Apple partition map.

Wingston

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2010
Thanks

yes I do mean dual processor, not dual core, oops. I do have the discs. When I tried direct from disc it simply told me I couldn't do it on this PC. I then tried in through fire wire and it wanted me to partition it GUID. Pulled the drive from the G5 and stuck it in my Pro. Same thing, wanted me to format GUID. I didn't get the option to format GUID until I erased the drive in the Pro. Having formatted it as requested by the machine I managed to load 10.5 but now the drive is back in the G5 it won't boot from it. Is this because of the partition format? Not at the machine right now but if I need Guid to install from the pro but Apple map to run on the G5 I am stuffed as it simply won't load from disk on the G5.

Any more thoughts gratefully received.

Thanks.

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
Hard drives formatted as GUID cannot be used as boot drives for PPC macs.

In order to boot on PPC it should be APM, no shortcuts. Find an iBook or a Powerbook and install through firewire target mode.

Marcush1286

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2011
Hi,

The grey discs for Leopard are all for Intel based Macs of that time frame, so none of those will work at all. You will need the black retail 10.5 or 10.5.4 disc to install on a PowerPC Mac. Those grey discs are meant for Intel macs which originally shipped with Leopard.

Using a 10.5 grey disc or a black one to install the os?

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
A drive using GUID will NEVER boot on a PowerPC Mac. Period. You need to use Apple Partition Map.

You can't expect success when you kill your chances in the first step..

Wingston

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2010
Leopard Disc

Jesus H Christ, why are Leopard retail discs so expensive? My Snow Leopard cast me about £25 and this earlier version is £60 at the cheapest and that's a scruffy copy in a paper sleeve.

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
You asked for it. It ain't cheap. Go find friends with Leopard retail disk and borrow one. Partition and format your HDD as APM and I am sure that it will work, unless your optical drives have some issues reading DVD-DL's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.