Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iverieli2011

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
Hi guys,

I tried to install Server 2008 R2 on my mac mini 2011 model, has i5 Intel via bootcamp, tried many ways, like AIK disc and etc but no luck.

Has someone successfully managed and installed server 2008?

Please if anyone has an idea or knows some resources let me know.

David

vg8open

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2012
I got Windows Server 2008 R2 installed on two Mac Mini Core i5 2.3GHz models, and they're working pretty good. Here's my setup:

Mac Mini Core i5 2.3GHz
- Upgraded RAM to 8GB
- Upgraded hard drive to 7200RPM. The entire hard drive is formatted as NTFS (no Mac HFS+ partition).

I use one computer as an Active Directory domain controller plus other services, and the other computer for Exchange 2010 mail server.

If you're only using the computer as a domain controller, then 4GB of RAM should be enough, and you probably don't have to upgrade your hard drive either. If you decided to install Windows Server Update Service, then you might want to upgrade your RAM to 8GB. If you want to install Exchange 2010 then you definitely will need to upgrade your RAM.

-Brian

iverieli2011

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
I got Windows Server 2008 R2 installed on two Mac Mini Core i5 2.3GHz models, and they're working pretty good. Here's my setup:

Mac Mini Core i5 2.3GHz
- Upgraded RAM to 8GB
- Upgraded hard drive to 7200RPM. The entire hard drive is formatted as NTFS (no Mac HFS+ partition).

I use one computer as an Active Directory domain controller plus other services, and the other computer for Exchange 2010 mail server.

If you're only using the computer as a domain controller, then 4GB of RAM should be enough, and you probably don't have to upgrade your hard drive either. If you decided to install Windows Server Update Service, then you might want to upgrade your RAM to 8GB. If you want to install Exchange 2010 then you definitely will need to upgrade your RAM.

-Brian

Thanks for reply Brian but I need to have dual boot, I am mac user and using Mac OS X all the time when I'm at home.

blueskybees

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Have you looked at Parallels Mac Mini Server 4.0? That's what I was planning on doing. Anyone tried this?

vg8open

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2012
I have not tried it, but it seem to be similar to VMware and Hyper-V, so I think it will work. Running two OS concurrently on the Mac Mini will probably be slow.

dawsonj

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2011

Mac Mini Core i5 2.3GHz
- Upgraded RAM to 8GB

-Brian

Hey Brian is there a guide for those who do not know how to do this?
This is exactly what I want to do unless someone knows of another brand machine that is as cool, efficient and small as the mac mini I want to buy a brand new mac mini to run sufficient windows 2008 server stuff do create a learning test bed for data warehousing/BI = server 2008R2, SQL server 2008R2, analysis services etc. A mini server has the quad core processor but with memory upgrade would prove expensive, would the base line mini with 8G RAM do it?

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.