Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

born4sky

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2008
Where to buy iPad 2 without taxes to NY?

***excluding eBay and craigslist etc

MrBambinoDent

macrumors regular
May 23, 2011
I think you may order it online from Apple store and ship to any friend in a state which has no tax like Oregon, I did the same and paid only 730 for 32 3G ipad2

ethics101

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2011
macmall.com

I got mine there back March. 2 week shipping back then. probably better now.

reckless2k2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
My sales tax manager cap is coming on for some advice. You can take or leave it.

Since the adoption of the "click-through" nexus standard in New York, they are going at a lot of out-of-State retailers with sales into the State. States, especially New York, are also getting more diligent at even going after individuals for not filing use tax on purchases from out-of-State.

Just because you were not charged tax does not mean you still don't owe it. This is the misconception of say people driving to Delaware to shop. Delaware is only tax-free for Delaware residents. Individuals from neighboring States by example are supposed to claim that out-of-State purchase on their income tax returns.

KHC831

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2011
Just because you were not charged tax does not mean you still don't owe it. This is the misconception of say people driving to Delaware to shop. Delaware is only tax-free for Delaware residents. Individuals from neighboring States by example are supposed to claim that out-of-State purchase on their income tax returns.

false and false. it depends on your location. shopping online is not the same as driving to a tax-free state and purchase the item there.

there is total of 5 sales tax free states. i would start using google if i were you.

Last edited:

reckless2k2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
false and false. it depends on your location. shopping online is not the same as driving to a tax-free state and purchase the item there.

there is total of 5 sales tax free states. i would start using google if i were you.

I've been a sales tax manager for 20 years working for multi-billion dollar companies. I used Delaware and neighboring States as an example. This individual is a New York resident. His online purchase is treated the same. I know about NOMAD and used the example in another thread about digital delivery of audio and video files along with software. Avoidance of tax in HIS State does not rule out his tax obligation especially in a State that has adopted "click-through" nexus and is becoming more diligent with online retailers in general. And if you live in say NJ (example again), have something shipped to a friend in Oregon with the intent for them to ship it to you finally in NJ, you owe tax for out-of-State purchases on your income tax return.

Cobster

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2011
Denmark
Come to Denmark!

We only have a 25 % sales tax on everything... Pay your tax and be happy about it....

Last edited:

born4sky

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2008
Your the very reason many of the states are in the condition they're in!

first of all you have no idea what are you talking about.
second of all ...
1) it's useless government spending's
2) it's laziness of people, who dont want to learn anything.. and keep lowering standards
3) irresponsibility of people. They spend more than they can afford. They buy **** they dont need...
and much much more.

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
first of all you have no idea what are you talking about.
second of all ...
2) it's laziness of people, who dont want to learn anything.. and keep lowering standards
3) irresponsibility of people. They spend more than they can afford. They buy **** they dont need...
and much much more.

good answer

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Funny Thread

Strange thread. I don't quite know why the OP put it the iPad forum: any shop that sells Apple computers sells all of 'em, right?

I am somewhat curious what business is like at the two NH stores. The Salem, NH store is about 2 miles from the MA border; the Nashua store is within spitting distance of the border. Do I-93 and Route 3 suffer from mini traffic jams to these stores on the weekend? :D Has the state of Massachusetts determined some way to make out-of-state Apple purchases illegal?

KevinC867

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Saratoga, CA
Strange thread. I don't quite know why the OP put it the iPad forum: any shop that sells Apple computers sells all of 'em, right?

I am somewhat curious what business is like at the two NH stores. The Salem, NH store is about 2 miles from the MA border; the Nashua store is within spitting distance of the border. Do I-93 and Route 3 suffer from mini traffic jams to these stores on the weekend? :D Has the state of Massachusetts determined some way to make out-of-state Apple purchases illegal?

Funny story I remember from the days I was going to school in NH... Since liquor was (and probably still is) much cheaper in NH, folks from MA used to flock to the NH state liquor stores. MA does have laws about how much liquor you are allowed to transport, so MA state troopers would park at the NH liquor stores and follow cars back into MA, then pull them over. Meldrim Thomson, the current NH governer, wasn't too happy about that situation, so he had the MA troopers arrested for loitering in the parking lots. :) This was the same governer who suggested that the state national guard should have nuclear weapons. Don't mess with New Hampshire!

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Good job. I have always told people that invading iraq was a colossal waste of money. It's so good to see someone agreeing with me. :rolleyes:
FYI, learn to spell
and much much more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.