Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jgould

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2011
Columbus Ohio
Aliases

One thing I did was connect to frequently accessed volumes on my Mac Mini and create aliases for them. I did this for both the local and remote shares and then dropped them in a folder and added it to my dock...

I'm planning on getting one of the new(ish) 11" Airs and have been prepping for it for the last few weeks... Now if only my tax return would show up...

Gom33

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2010
So I set file sharing between windows 7 desktop and 13 air. When I connect with my air it shows the pictures folder that i am sharing, but for some reason it does not show my music folder??? I have no idea why.

Any help is greatly appreciated

ZenoVT

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2009
Has anybody gotten this to work accessing shared folders from a windows 7 server to a macbook air using connect to server?

I did every step the OP suggested, but it keeps failing to connect.

I have only been successful connecting to my shared win7 folders when I'm on a local network using smb://computername-pc.

I've tried doing so with OP's method then using both afp://externalIP and smb://externalIP, but failed to connect on both attempts.

The exact error is:

Connection failed

There was an error connecting to the server
"xx.xxx.xxx.xx". Check the server name or IP
address, and then try again.

If you are unable to resolve the problem contact your
system administrator.

jgould

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2011
Columbus Ohio
Has anybody gotten this to work accessing shared folders from a windows 7 server to a macbook air using connect to server?

I have only been successful connecting to my shared win7 folders when I'm on a local network using smb://computername-pc.

I've tried doing so with OP's method then using both afp://externalIP and smb://externalIP, but failed to connect on both attempts.

The exact error is:

Connection failed

system administrator.

Make sure that you have the ports for SMB open on your router. SMB and AFP do not share the same port number, and I don't have the numbers off the top of my head. Just be forwarned that SMB is rather insecure compared to AFP.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
Instead of putting the ip adress to the router, put the address to the device of the server, for example 192.168.1.2. I ran into that problem too.

The exact error is:

Connection failed

system administrator.

jayhawk11

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
Why would anyone pay $25 a month for iTunes Match when they can do this?

Because it's easier? Granted, this isn't difficult, but you could have said the same thing about any services that MobileMe/.Mac/iTools offered.

Going a little further, iTunes Match isn't necessarily designed for the same thing as what you're doing here. Remember, iTunes Match is not streaming.

Baycity

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
Im at work on my phone and don't have it in my to read this whole thread but I did a search of it and came back with no results for "pogo plug". I currently use it with a one terabyte drive holding my itunes. It even has an awesome ios app. So I can access out from both macs and my ipad.

misterneums

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2009

The exact error is:

Connection failed

system administrator.

I am having the same problem. My server is my Windows PC.

BrandonRugzie

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2011
Clayj,

Thank you so much for this posting! I am not certain how to 'forward a port' on my airport Extreme. Thank you!!!

-Brandon

BrandonRugzie

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2011
Clayj,

I have made a screenshot/video of me setting this up and it not working. Is there a way I could have you look at that and tell me what I am doing wrong?

-Brandon

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
I would love a super low power A5 file server from Apple. Keep the MP on to serve files is a crazy use of electricity IMO.

jgould

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2011
Columbus Ohio
I would love a super low power A5 file server from Apple. Keep the MP on to serve files is a crazy use of electricity IMO.

This is why I run a C2D Mac Mini as my file server. It's headless and I can hide it on my desk... The server used to be a Pentium 4 at 1.2GHz (I think) with 1GB RAM, and a 300 Watt PS. The Mini's 110 Watt supply is far better. Lower than that would be even better...

I use this to access large files that I don't necessarily have to carry with me on my MacBook Pro all the time. Generally, I don't have to connect to the Mini at home, but it has come in handy more than once...

Last edited:

Beanoir

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2010
51 degrees North
I really wish I could get this to work, i've been tearing my hair out on numerous occasions to the point I want to throw my Mac out of the window and having to stop in order to save my own sanity.

I follow the instructions to the word to try and enable my MBA to see my USB hard drive attached to my AEB but to no avail.

I set up port forwarding on my AEB using the private ISP to the right ports etc, then I try and connect on my MBA using my external IP and port number i've used and it just times out.

Weirdly I have BTTM working so I can access my iMac over the internet from my MBA and I can also access my AEB USB hard drive over my home wireless network from both computers, but the last piece of the puzzle is beating me at the moment.

I can't help thinking its something to do with how i've set my AEB and router up perhaps.

I have just about given up now...

Last edited:

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Hey guys, is there any hard drive out there that can act as a server only? I know there are smaller WiFi hard drives that set up their own WiFi networks, but are there some that you can remotely access? Like a Time Capsule you can remotely access?

Smileyboy

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
I didn't read the entire thread.... But what if I only have the MBA? Can I still access my files while not near the network?

nsitaram

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2011
Michigan USA
Accessing home IMACs from remote mac Air

Hi: I was able to establish contact between my Mac Air 2012 (Lion) at work and and time capsule at home using the protocol explained in the sticky by Clayj . However all it allows me to open is a file called "sparsebundle" or something like that. I cannot access my IMAC 24" (running Leopard) and IMAC 27" (running snow leopard) or any external hard drive connected to them.
Can someone explain what is happening and what i should now do?
Thanks. I am a novice - so go slow and explain clearly

pavvento

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2007
This thread is awesome as I am investigating purchasing a 3 TB drive to hook up to my APE to backup my iMac and keep things in sync with it and my MBA.

Question: We have a Linksys router that is connected to the comcast box. That router serves one side of the house and a cable runs to the back end to the APE (set up with a different wireless SSID). That is where I'd connect the Hard drive to.

Do I need to do anything different from the original set of instructions since I have 2 routers?

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.