Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Henry Li

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2009
Hi, everyone, do you think it is good to do a clean install of iOS 5 on our iPhone 4 instead of simply updating it?

Doing a clean install will cost me a lot of time certainly, since I have lots of apps and songs to be synced with my iPhone. But, some said there will be battery drainage issue or a little lag if you directly update the firmware from 4.X to 5.X. Is it true? What is your opinion?:)

Yzord

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2010
Just update it...when it gives you the battery drainage you can always go for a clean install huh?

moel

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2007
Just update it....it's not going to do any arm, be any different to restoring it.

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I was also going to suggest to just update. If you notice any problems after that, then do a clean restore.

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
If you backup to iCloud, then restore, can you then recover your iCloud backup, in a 'best of both worlds' type situation?

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
There is no need to do a clean install. If you do you will lose things like text messages and game saves. I've always just restored from a previous backup and I've never had battery issues or any other issues. I wouldnt rely on iCloud if I were you as it's brand new and an unknown quantity so to speak. No one knows how exactly it will work and whether it will work 100%.

The Tuck

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2003
If you backup to iCloud, then restore, can you then recover your iCloud backup, in a 'best of both worlds' type situation?

Good call man, I think I'm going to do this. I have a bunch of legacy jailbreak files on my iPhone that I wanted to get rid of (by doing a clean install and not restoring from a backup). I would think that if I update to iOS 5, do an iCloud backup then do a clean install and restore the backup from iCloud, it wouldn't have copied the jailbreak files, right?

Tuck

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Good call man, I think I'm going to do this. I have a bunch of legacy jailbreak files on my iPhone that I wanted to get rid of (by doing a clean install and not restoring from a backup). I would think that if I update to iOS 5, do an iCloud backup then do a clean install and restore the backup from iCloud, it wouldn't have copied the jailbreak files, right?

Tuck

Some jb elements will remain. Heres what I did:

-Use iFunbox to pull out sms.db, and highscores.lua Angry birds files (The files I wanted to save)

-Restore to 4.1 (or any software you have blobs for) and set up as new iPhone. Dont sync anything, waste of time.

-Jailbreak and retore sms and Angry Birds files (I synced over the two AB apps only)

-Backup

-Clean restore to 5.0

-Restore from backup.

This gets you a completely clean install, with texts and AB scores intact.

bob616

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
I always do a clean restore into major OS upgrades. I have never had the issues that many people post about after updating, so I guess clean restoring is worth it.

The Tuck

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2003
Some jb elements will remain. Heres what I did:

-Use iFunbox to pull out sms.db, and highscores.lua Angry birds files (The files I wanted to save)
-Restore to 4.1 (or any software you have blobs for) and set up as new iPhone. Dont sync anything, waste of time.
-Jailbreak and retore sms and Angry Birds files (I synced over the two AB apps only)
-Backup
-Clean restore to 5.0
-Restore from backup.
This gets you a completely clean install, with texts and AB scores intact.

Great suggestions! However, I don't really care about game scores and I will back up my SMS db and just keep it on my computer for later viewing and perusing. I've heard that the SMS app starts to run slower if you let thousands and thousands of texts build up in there.

I might just go ahead and do a completely clean install and start from scratch.

Tuck

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I'm going to do it. Never tried it since 3.0, so I figure now is as good a time as any to give it a shot.

ARSC

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
Can someone please answer this.

I have done a back up on my iphone 4 which was JB, now i am getting the 4s
Will it harm if i restore it and how can i get the contacts from iphone 4.

thanks

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
The vast majority of iPhone owners are not techies. They're soccer moms, 14 year old kids, middle aged dads, etc. They don't know "clean install" from Lean Cusine. Nor do they know or care about backup/restore.

Add to that the fact that more and more apps are storing more and more data, and you have a situation that requires Apple to provide seamless worry-free upgrades, with no performance hit, no glitches, etc. The days of clean installs are gone. If you had to do a clean install for every upgrade, throngs of average users would riot.

The Tuck

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2003
Can someone please answer this.

I have done a back up on my iphone 4 which was JB, now i am getting the 4s
Will it harm if i restore it and how can i get the contacts from iphone 4.

thanks

No, it won't harm it, but it will carry over jailbreak related files that won't do anything on the 4S - but might take up a bit of space, depending on how much you installed from Cydia. I'm just a perfectionist and don't like to have these files on my phone when I do a major OS update.

Tuck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.