Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bollweevil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
A few hours after ordering my iPhone 4S from Apple.com, I checked my online credit card statement and saw two "pending" charges from Apple, one for $1 and one for $453. Those charges stayed pending for a while. I just checked my credit card statement again, and the charges are gone. They are not pending, but they also did not post to the account. Apple has not collected money from me.

Now I am worried. My order status on Apple.com still says "Preparing for Shipment".

My credit card definitely works and has way more than enough money.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I think lots of people fretted over this exact issue last year, and in the end, the phone still arrived on time and you were charged accordingly. Based on that, I would say that you have nothing to worry about.

steve dave

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
A few hours after ordering my iPhone 4S from Apple.com, I checked my online credit card statement and saw two "pending" charges from Apple, one for $1 and one for $453. Those charges stayed pending for a while. I just checked my credit card statement again, and the charges are gone. They are not pending, but they also did not post to the account. Apple has not collected money from me.

Now I am worried. My order status on Apple.com still says "Preparing for Shipment".

My credit card definitely works and has way more than enough money.

They probably weren't actual charges but authorizations. Authorizations are really just a check to make sure funds are available and only last for a predefined period of time. If the actual charge isn't made before the authorization expires, then it just disappears.

Shanewilliams

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Same thing happened when I prefer a touchpad back in august. The initial charge is just an authorazation, it drops off after a couple of days and is replaced by the actual charge. Unless you're dealing with HP, the. You have a authorazation charge once or twice a week for a month almost! Don't worry though, you should be charged when it ships!

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
This is exactly why many people need to be kept in the dark about stuff. Too many people know enough to be dangerous yet don't really fully understand how things work. If this process was completely behind the curtains and you just receive your phone on Friday, you would be completely happy.

Instead, you and many others are freaking out for an entire week about authorizations, prepping for shipment, actual ship date, FedEx/UPS tracking reports, etc. when that's just how things are.

tophermd

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Same here

My pending charges also vanished this AM. They were there last night when I checked...
Glad I'm not alone on this one. I agree with the others that this is probably happening to a lot of people they just never know about it because they don't obsessively check their credit card statements like we do! :p

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
I think lots of people fretted over this exact issue last year, and in the end, the phone still arrived on time and you were charged accordingly. Based on that, I would say that you have nothing to worry about.

All of this happened when the iP4 was introduced. If people would only go back there and read it.

These authorization charges DO drop off after a few days. The real charge will be applied before it is shipped.

But then again, the OP's phone might have been cancelled:p

drnen

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2007
no worries folks- the same exact thing happened to me, but this morning i was finally able to search by reference on ups and get a hit. At least one of my phones is in Hong Kong as of an hour ago. As for the girlfriends phone, who knows.

JuanWoo

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2011
So thankful for this thread! Same thing happened to me, and I was starting to freak out.

Apple.com order status is still prepaing for shipment... sigh.

NM08SRT8

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
Earf
If this helps..

I ordered from Sprint on launch morning at 1hr after opening and many failed attempts on Apple.com.

Charges were for $434.xx including the Estimated Taxes on Sprint. Called in and they said the amount was $420.xx, shortly after, my charges dropped off and the money is still in my account. That was a "worst case scenario" for the total charge amount. The correct charge of $420.xx will be charged here soon I'm sure, and I got a tracking number email too, and still no charges on my account.

So no need to worry, it's normal to say the least.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.