Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nic.ola

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
So I'm probably one of the only idiots left with a 8GB iPhone 3G (yes, not even a 3GS!!), my contract doesn't run out until December so I'm holding out until then for a new one.

When I did the last big iOS update with game centre and folders, it slowed my phone right down to the point where I want to throw it at the wall (It takes a good 6 seconds for something as simple as a text message to open, apps crash and close randomly, and lots more. I don't even have many apps installed).
I'm just wondering if I update it to iOS5 does anyone know if it will make my poor little iPhone even worse? I could probably deal with it remaining the same, but I couldn't cope with it getting even slower, and I don't want to go back to the old iOS. I'm just wondering if I should just ignore the update and wait for the new phone, or update it if it'll be ok?

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
I feel a bit discriminated against lol. Thanks, that solves that then!

Nothing past 4.2.1 was released for the 3G. Aside from iOS5, you didn't get 4.3, 4.3.1, 4.3.2 or 4.3.3.

If you really hate the performance, put your phone in DFU mode and restore down to 3.1.3. You won't be able to restore from your current backup because the firmware is too high but at least you'll have a functional phone.

What if I force-install iOS5 on my iPhone 3G?

By that, I mean, I'll grab the iOS IPSW for iPhone 3G and install it via, let's say, RedSn0w. Will I be able to do that? Has anyone been that risky to try it out? :confused:

That will not work.

anthonyrp

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2011
Nothing past 4.2.1 was released for the 3G. Aside from iOS5, you didn't get 4.3, 4.3.1, 4.3.2 or 4.3.3.

If you really hate the performance, put your phone in DFU mode and restore down to 3.1.3. You won't be able to restore from your current backup because the firmware is too high but at least you'll have a functional phone.

That will not work.

no ios 4.2.2 was the last update for the iphone 3g

Wakakanada

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2007
Vancouver, BC, Canada
I'm in the same boat with my old iPhone 3G, but quite frankly, I'm still rather fond of it. My concern is that after next June they will not be continuing MobileMe so I will no longer be able to sync all my mac toys if I cannot access iCloud...:mad:

...or is there hope that Apple will not remove syncing capability from iPhone 3G's somehow?

joflo723

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2010
Does anyone know...will the fact that the 3g cannot upgrade to the new OS cause any problems when restoring backup data from an old 3g onto a new 4s?

I thought I read somewhere that you should first upgrade your OS to the current OS when backing up before restoring onto a new phone. Not true then?

GodWhomIsMike

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2007
Are you iPhone 3G ********* crazy? The iOS 4 on mine is sooo sluggish it makes me want to throw it into the lake out of frustration. iOS 5 is going to be a massive massive resource hog. The 3G won't be able to do anything without crashing.

joflo723

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2010
Are you iPhone 3G ********* crazy? The iOS 4 on mine is sooo sluggish it makes me want to throw it into the lake out of frustration. iOS 5 is going to be a massive massive resource hog. The 3G won't be able to do anything without crashing.

I have almost thrown it out a window many times, yes. It's embarrassing. lol

GodWhomIsMike

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2007
Why would you want to?
The iPhone 3G runs slow as hell on anything higher than 4.0
It takes like 30 seconds to open things up. Imagine 5.0 on it.
It would be unusable.

It became almost unusable when I went from 3.1.3 to 4.0. Since 4.0 the phone has been extremely slow. I love when I want to take a quick photo, and need to wait 35 seconds for the camera to load, then another 15 seconds for the camera to snap the pic.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
It became almost unusable when I went from 3.1.3 to 4.0. Since 4.0 the phone has been extremely slow. I love when I want to take a quick photo, and need to wait 35 seconds for the camera to load, then another 15 seconds for the camera to snap the pic.

Exactly.
Go with an iphone 4 or 4S if you really want 5.0
Its not possible to install 5.0 on an iphone 3G.
The last firmware version released for the iphone 3G was 4.2.1 and since then they no longer updating it.

Does anyone know...will the fact that the 3g cannot upgrade to the new OS cause any problems when restoring backup data from an old 3g onto a new 4s?

I thought I read somewhere that you should first upgrade your OS to the current OS when backing up before restoring onto a new phone. Not true then?

No, you can still use your iphone 3G backup with the new 4S.
I would setup as new though to avoid any old bugs for older firmware.

joflo723

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2010
I would setup as new though to avoid any old bugs for older firmware.

Thanks for that info. By "setup as new"...do you mean set up as new, THEN restore from a previous backup...or are you saying you wouldn't restore from a previous backup at all? That would suck. lol

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Thanks for that info. By "setup as new"...do you mean set up as new, THEN restore from a previous backup...or are you saying you wouldn't restore from a previous backup at all? That would suck. lol

No, just setup as new and not from backup.
You can transfer your contacts using itunes but you will lose all your previous texts. I can live with that.
Then sync back your apps, music etc..
That's what I do with every new device.
Sometimes backups are buggy and slow down on newer hardware and firmware.

aldorande

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2009
I believe iPhone 3G is meant to work at best performance with IOS 3.1.3. Going higher than that would slow it down.

So you can just forget about IOS 5, that will include multitasking, SIRI, videocam and many other apps that are super processor intensive.

Actually I would recommend you to downgrade to 3.1.3 if that is feasible.

joflo723

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2010
No, just setup as new and not from backup.
You can transfer your contacts using itunes but you will lose all your previous texts. I can live with that.
Then sync back your apps, music etc..
That's what I do with every new device.
Sometimes backups are buggy and slow down on newer hardware and firmware.

Ok - I think I follow you. Thanks for your help!

One other question...are texts the only thing I would lose? What about photos and videos? What about data stored for specific apps? TIA!

Last edited:

tomk6505

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
I believe iPhone 3G is meant to work at best performance with IOS 3.1.3. Going higher than that would slow it down.

So you can just forget about IOS 5, that will include multitasking, SIRI, videocam and many other apps that are super processor intensive.

Actually I would recommend you to downgrade to 3.1.3 if that is feasible.

correct, but one bit incorrect... unless apple change it in the future, Siri isn't available on iOS 5... It's just on the iPhone 4S, not the software update itself, as anything lower doesn't have the hardware capabilities to support it.

----------

So I'm probably one of the only idiots left with a 8GB iPhone 3G (yes, not even a 3GS!!), my contract doesn't run out until December so I'm holding out until then for a new one.

When I did the last big iOS update with game centre and folders, it slowed my phone right down to the point where I want to throw it at the wall (It takes a good 6 seconds for something as simple as a text message to open, apps crash and close randomly, and lots more. I don't even have many apps installed).
I'm just wondering if I update it to iOS5 does anyone know if it will make my poor little iPhone even worse? I could probably deal with it remaining the same, but I couldn't cope with it getting even slower, and I don't want to go back to the old iOS. I'm just wondering if I should just ignore the update and wait for the new phone, or update it if it'll be ok?

noo don't worry about it :D I would've been stuck with a 3G too :p and my friend still is, so don't worry :D

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Fellow 3G user here, the 3G is a piece and Apple has stopped supporting it. Good thing I have a 4S coming on Friday. :D

And to those thinking about upgrading to iOS4, do not do it. It will be the worst mistake of your life and is fairly difficult getting all your info back when you ultimately downgrade back to iOS3.

LisaMaree

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
Fellow 3G user here, the 3G is a piece and Apple has stopped supporting it. Good thing I have a 4S coming on Friday. :D

And to those thinking about upgrading to iOS4, do not do it. It will be the worst mistake of your life and is fairly difficult getting all your info back when you ultimately downgrade back to iOS3.

I've wondered about this - is iOS 4 on the 3G really that bad? Is it basically the same experience for everyone? What about the 3GS with iOS 4?

Votekinky06

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2011
iOS 4 absolutely killed my 3G. It is unbelievable to me that Apple let that one slip by and into the hands of consumers. IOS 5 works flawlessly on the 3GS though. I only hope that the ip4 is supported through ios 7, as that is when I'll be eligible for upgrade again :(

dibblerzarf

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
Amazingly Bad

Yes, iOS 4 is terribly bad on the 3G. I am SO RELIEVED to finally find out from this thread why my phone has totally bit the dust. I stare at a white screen for a good 30 seconds when trying to view my text messages, calendar, or email. I have given up on most uses and feel like I do not have a smartphone, but I've managed to wait it out long enough use my upgrade on the 4S.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.