Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bonnievak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
I accidently spilt a cup of coffee on my Macbook Pro a couple of weeks ago turning it off instantly which, when told, made the apple support guy say my "logic board" was gone and irrepairable. However I left it for 48 hours and on turning it back on it booted in "safe boot" and would only type in capitals. I plugged another keyboard in and that worked with lowercase but I didn't know how to get the computer off Safe boot and therefore left it for a week.

I turned it on again two days ago and all seemed to be fine and normal and working until today when everytime I opened a new tab in firefox it would open in a new window and the finder windows/itunes opened/closed/minimized very slowly. I restarted the computer and it again went to Safe Boot/the capslock issue.

Help?

bonnievak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
I'm a student so it's not easy to just "buy another computer"... I posted this in hope there is something I can do about it... no need to be harsh on a matter that already is pretty annoying.... jeeeez

ezramoore

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2006
Washington State
There is probably a lot more damage than just the keyboard, but that is your problem. If you replace the keyboard (which in the unibody models is actually a complete unibody replacement, not cheap and a bitch to do) you will likely get some more use out of it.

The bigger problem is that the damage caused by liquid doesn't necessarily present immediately and is almost guaranteed to cause future problems and majorly shorten the lifespan of the machine.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Well both the slow minimizing and booting into safe mode are caused by holding down the Shift key, so most likely the Shift key is shorting out. I think it's safe to say you need a new keyboard at the very least.

If replacing the keyboard doesn't work… if you don't mind going through the effort, I would take apart the entire computer and check every component and look for coffee stains, etc. Write down what parts have been affect and then then clean everything with deionized water. Rinse all the affected parts (except the optical drive and hard drive) and break out the hairdryer to dry the parts up. Wait a couple days for any residue to fully dry. Then put your computer back together and pray it works. If it doesn't work, you can buy all the parts that were broken or pay $1200 plus tax for Apple to replace the computer with all working parts.

If you don't have access to deionized water (which should be accessible in your college if you ask around), don't even bother rinsing computer parts (you'll probably make it worse if you use tap water).

And miles01110 speaks the harsh truth. This is all probably more trouble than it's worth.

Amroberts

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2013
Hey. I saw that no one offered any stop gap solutions. This may be an old post but I am posting to help people who might come across it like I did. I was having this same exact issue. Here is what I did.

Buy a USB keyboard

Attach USB keyboard

Hold the Alt key before you touch your power button.

Turn comp on and continue to hold alt key until little wheel stops spinning.

Your comp should boot and function normally.

In the meantime, put money away for a new laptop. You will need one soon probably

Amroberts

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2013
Is that sarcasm? Like I said, if it happens to someone else and they are googling it, I wanted them to see a solution

Juhi

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2013
Thank You

I spilled my coffee yesterday, and this thread was the first one that popped up when I googled my problem. Thanks to your information I was at least able to reset my password to a black on using the ALt trick an external keyboard, which is already making the problem considerably less aggravating. Now I just have to find a way to hang in there until the new October models... :)

So, thanks again for posting a replay to a very old post.

Juhi

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2013
Work-Around

Just for the heck of it I opened up the beast (15-inch MacBook Pro early 2008). I found that the keyboard was encased in plastic, and that none of the liquid actually seeped through onto more vital parts. I disconnected the native keyboard from the motherboard (the connector becomes visible when the battery is removed) and attached a USB keyboard. Everything has gone back to normal, it no longer boots-up in safe mode and everything else went back to acting normal. So thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.