Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ero87

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
How can I be absolutely sure I won't lose my apps and their data on my ipad when i upgrade to iOS 5? Do I just sync the app to my mac beforehand, is that enough?

Thanks!

HengenJL

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
Rochester, NY
yes, perform a backup of the iPad before installing iOS5. technically iTunes should also make a backup just before the installation of iOS5 occurs.

iJasonTATE

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2011
Yes, iTunes will automatically backup your iPad right before the iOS 5 install takes place.

ero87

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
Great. And what if I buy an iPad 2? How can I make sure my app's data are ported over to the new device?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Great. And what if I buy an iPad 2? How can I make sure my app's data are ported over to the new device?

Backup your current iPad to a computer. Hook up the new iPad to the computer and start iTunes. iTunes will ask you if you want to set up the iPad as New or to restore from backup. Select restore from backup.

Actually, with the coming of iCloud, I imagine there will be a way to do this over the air without hooking up iPads to a computer, but since I haven't had a chance to try iCloud, I'm not sure of the exact steps that would be involved.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Actually, with the coming of iCloud, I imagine there will be a way to do this over the air without hooking up iPads to a computer, but since I haven't had a chance to try iCloud, I'm not sure of the exact steps that would be involved.

The 2011 WWDC Keynote (available on the Apple Keynotes podcast) was clear that one could "cut the cord" with new iPads.

If your old iPad was updated to iOS 5 and backed up into the cloud, you should be able to register your new iPad 2 and restore the data and apps wirelessly. Apple should publish information on how to do this after iOS 5 is released (and registered developers are given permission to discuss iOS 5).

One concern would be finding a facility with a high-bandwidth connection to facilitate the prompt installation of your programs and data on the new machine. An Apple store would be a swell place to do that update.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
How can I be absolutely sure I won't lose my apps and their data on my ipad when i upgrade to iOS 5? Do I just sync the app to my mac beforehand, is that enough?

If you install the official release then iTunes will force a backup before upgrading, you will not have problems. If you install the GM you must ensure that you back up first or you can/will lose some data.

bryanjc

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2011
Quick question, i know you don't need a developers ID for the GM, can i install it on my iPad 2 WIFI, and then upgrade to the full release? ( if that is the way?)

I am impatient,yes.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
If you install the GM you must ensure that you back up first or you can/will lose some data.

Not true. The GM is exactly the same as the official release. If you install the GM, there is no need to install the official release. Updates to subsequent releases would be done the same as if you installed the official release.

paulcdb

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2009
until I'm certain that iCloud works flawlessly.

it does, it actually does a better job than iTunes itself since i've had times when folders or apps don't always restore where as iCloud hasn't failed to restore the phone exactly as it was when the backup was performed.

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland
it does, it actually does a better job than iTunes itself since i've had times when folders or apps don't always restore where as iCloud hasn't failed to restore the phone exactly as it was when the backup was performed.

Likewise, the iCloud backup has been brilliant so far. Even restored from backup and it contained a half-written iMessage.

foodog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Atlanta, GA
App data gets backed up to iCloud, as well, according to Apple.
I'll backup to PC, initially, until I'm certain that iCloud works flawlessly.

Only if you choose this as your backup... you have a choice backup to iCloud or iTunes. With wireless syncing I chose to stay with iTunes backups. When I plug the phone in to charge for the night it backs itself up and sync to iTunes. The computer backs itself up to an external site every night.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.