Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wpc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2009
Canada
Hi. While I was away on honeymoon I was composing an MMS and suddenly my iPhone screen went black and restarted... phone seemed fine after, but when I checked my message history all SMS/MMS had been deleted. All other content was unaffected.

Normally I would have connected the phone to my MacBook and restored from a backup. But since I didn't have it with me, I wasn't able to do that. I'm home now, so contemplating restoring the messages from a previous backup done before I went on honeymoon, but that would mean losing all the messages, pictures in the camera roll, etc that I have accumulated since the problem happened.

I guess my question is: is there any way of merging 2 back ups so I won't lose any content?

The strange thing is that when I extract the contents using iPhone Backup Extractor of a backup created today I can see all the SMS/MMS I had on the phone prior to this problem (in the Library/SMS folder). I have tried restoring the iPhone from that latest backup, but those older messages don't actually turn up on the phone. Strange.

Any help/suggestions/similar experiences appreciated.

wpc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2009
Canada
Update... when use spotlight on the phone to search for some of the deleted SMS, they do show up... but when I tap to read the message it won't show up in the message thread. Strange. Wonder if there's a way to rebuild the message history.

eaullas

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2011
Update... when use spotlight on the phone to search for some of the deleted SMS, they do show up... but when I tap to read the message it won't show up in the message thread. Strange. Wonder if there's a way to rebuild the message history.

Hi

Just happened to me today !
Sending an mms unexpectedly kind of rebooted the iphone.
After that, all SMS gone. But found by spotlight.

Did you succeed in fixing that issue ?

Thanks.

ScarletLark

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2011
I'm having the exact same problem. I've tried searching for a solution in other forums, but the only proposed solution I've run across is to restore from the last sync; and like you, I don't want to lose my texts from the time in-between.

I would really appreciate it if anyone could provide a fix, or at least a simple way to recover lost info thru my computer. Or to even merge my last backup with my current state.

This is has become an incredibly frustrating problem!

JKAussieSkater

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Me too. The exact same thing. Composing an MMS from within the camera app, hit send, phone froze, Messages app forced quit automatically. Reopened the Messages app, and EVERYTHING disappeared, however still show up in spotlight search results. Clicking the spotlight search result takes me to the Messages app, but not to the message - just a blank screen.

Has there been any progress on the issue?

andysapp

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2008
Same exact thing just happened to me while composing an MMS from a photo.

Would love to know that I can get my texts back. I will be pretty angry if I just lost them all. A lot of pertinent info related to work would be lost.

Deelishhhh

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2011
Same experience for me. Was sending an MMS from photos, screen went blank, rebooted, and texts were all gone.

Fix please!

vingochr

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2011
Same here

Hey guys, same problem with me here too. I'm running iOS 5b5. It was iOS 5b4 when my history was first deleted, then when I just updated to beta 5 last night, I lost all of my texts since Sunday too! Really confusing as I hadn't backed up for 3 weeks since last night (MBP was in for screen repair) so if I'd have picked the wrong backup (which I didn't because I only have one and backed up before I updated) then all my old texts would be on my iPhone and no new ones. I've lost all my history of SMS up till recent and lost my last 48 hours of texts as well! Urgently needs a fix! :s

trsthiagorobson

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2010
A possibility!

Does anyone know how to explore the SMS directory and look for specific files? I`m sure this bug happens because the MMS that we were creating before the iphone crashed is corrupted. So if we could find it and delete it everything would be ok. Do you guys know how to do this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.