Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

sketchbook-150x150.jpg

iOS developers are beginning to release apps that take advantage of iCloud's storage features. The excellent SketchBook Pro, a painting and drawing program from Autodesk, was updated today boasting an "option to set iCloud as default location to save canvases" and "controls in Gallery to upload or download from iCloud".

iCloud, which launches tomorrow, automatically "stores your music, photos, documents, and more and wirelessly pushes them to all your devices", according to Apple's promotional materials. The free services aims to help users automatically back up their data and allow them to seamless move load all their data onto a new device when they upgrade or replace their existing one -- part of Apple's new PC Free feature.

In his last keynote address, Steve Jobs launched iCloud, noting that devices have changed over the past decade, with people now using photos and videos on the go, the PC should no longer be the hub for your digital life, with all media hosted on the computer. "Keeping these devices in sync is driving us crazy," Steve told the crowd.

"Some people think a cloud is just a hard disk in the sky," Steve told the crowd. "We think it's way more than that." iCloud stores content (think contacts, calendar, photos, music), with wireless push to all devices. And with APIs providing developers with hooks into iCloud, all apps can take advantage of the service.

SketchBook Mobile for iPhone is available on the App Store for $1.99. SketchBook Pro for iPad is $4.99.

Article Link: Developers Updating Apps With iCloud Support

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A334)

App update frenzy tonight so far for me.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A334)

App update frenzy tonight so far for me.

18 app updates so far for me...

smarch

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Do you think an app like twitter will sync your place in a timeline between devices, or even safari web pages? among other things...

I hope game save data is first in line too

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
It’s going to take me some time to wrap my head around NOT having to wrap my head around anything to use iCloud! Decades of computer experience cry out against such a big change!

But one day, when all/most apps (Mac too) support iCloud, we’ll look back at the dark ages when cloud backups and synching weren’t done so simply, and shudder.

I hope game save data is first in line too
Yes, please! And iCloud certainly supports that.

With that working, I could delete a game for a time, re-install later, and keep all my progress and unlockables. This is vital, when some games are such HUGE files and storage is limited! Being able to install just SOME of my games at any one time (same way I load only SOME of my music) will be great.

rman726

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2007
I updated like 15 apps today, after updating yesterday. It seems like quite a few apps are upgrading to be ready for iOS 5 tomorrow.

RobeeSVK

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2010
Slovakia
That is nice, but

as we learned, without proper !MAC! documents integration, this feature of iCloud is very limited...probably the most useless....the core of document creation still takes place on Mac...without an option to sync docs automatically (not with help of web browser)I could not see great usability

maybe with 10.8/11 - we can see the trend of iOS and OS X integration already, nevertheless...the problem is probably in missing "document library" application like iDocument which would simply provide a "syncable" database for each type of device

Twizz91

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2010
The update on algoriddim's djay is a really really nice one, for the dj's and hobbiers among us. (finally effects! and ofcourse full iOS 5 integration )

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Does anyone know the security/privacy model behind iCloud? I'm not real keen on having all my data stored with everyone else's in one big honeypot... I've looked around, but I'm not finding much more than speculation one whether or how the data is encrypted and whether Apple has visibility into it. Some talk about encryption over the air, but I'm equally concerned about the storage site...

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
as we learned, without proper !MAC! documents integration, this feature of iCloud is very limited...probably the most useless....the core of document creation still takes place on Mac...without an option to sync docs automatically (not with help of web browser)I could not see great usability

maybe with 10.8/11 - we can see the trend of iOS and OS X integration already, nevertheless...the problem is probably in missing "document library" application like iDocument which would simply provide a "syncable" database for each type of device

Did you watch the iCloud video? It shows synching of documents between devices.

RobeeSVK

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2010
Slovakia
Did you watch the iCloud video? It shows synching of documents between devices.

Yes, and many others here noticed that in case of Documents Sync - Mac was purposefully omitted - not mentioned. Later, Apple itself posted on its website that iWork Documents will be synced through uploading on website. More about it here...scroll to the end of the page please

http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/documents.html

As I am not a developer, I do not know if iCloud API allows to do it differently in case of 3rd party Apps. Someone mentioned that there are 2 APIs, one for syncing incremental information and second for documents. We will see.

ade2bee

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2009
The update on algoriddim's djay is a really really nice one, for the dj's and hobbiers among us. (finally effects! and ofcourse full iOS 5 integration )

Loving this App soooooooooooooooooo much!

I wouldn't have expected effects on an iOS app but here it is. This is one of the few apps that live up to the hype. I make all my sets on it, I practice, I record my demos, I've even played out with it a couple of times, (once in a club whilst the booth lecky crashed and the techs were sorting it out)

Love it!

Steeley

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2011
That's cool! I hope in time many more use iCloud as an option. Its gonna be a big couple of days!

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
Only a dedicated CEO like steve jobs would make sure he was on site to ensure a successful icloud launch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.