Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OrlandoTragic

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
After updating to 10.5, iTunes now freezes on my Mac (running 10.7.1) when I connect my iPhone 4. (running 4.3.3)

It works fine when I have my iPad connected.
I have to Force Quit.

I've tried rebooting the phone and computer, and also disabling auto-sync.

ColinF

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2011
Having exactly the same trouble as you.
Spent last night searching various threads which suggested everything from deleting the iTunes preferences files to deleting podcasts from the phone.
Nothing worked.
If the Iphone (in mycase a 3GS) is plugged in itunes freezes and the pinwheel appears.
As soon as I remove it itunes works again.
Like you, my iPad connects and syncs fine. Its just the phone that causes the problem.

Connected the phone to my office PC this morning and there is no problem there. Even allowed me to perform a manual backup.
It seems to be the combination of that particular phone being connected to that particular Mac.
Was fine before the update.

Anyone got any ideas.
Getting a 4S on Friday so hoping that if this is not resolved then I can use the backup I have taken at work to set up the new phone then connect it at home to sync all the media.

OrlandoTragic

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
After conferring on the Apple Discussions page, I was able to "resolve" the issue by letting iTunes sit for about 20 minutes. After that, it became responsive again and allowed me to sync without issue...

cschmelz

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
After updating to 10.5, iTunes now freezes on my Mac (running 10.7.1) when I connect my iPhone 4. (running 4.3.3)

It works fine when I have my iPad connected.
I have to Force Quit.

I've tried rebooting the phone and computer, and also disabling auto-sync.

My iTunes 10.5 crashes/quits when I try to sync my iPhone 4 (WiFi OR wired)

ColinF

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2011
After conferring on the Apple Discussions page, I was able to "resolve" the issue by letting iTunes sit for about 20 minutes. After that, it became responsive again and allowed me to sync without issue...

That sounds somewhat promising. Do you mean you need to wait 20 mins the first time? Or EVERYTIME you connect the phone?

absolutspacegir

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
Same thing happening to me. I updated to iTunes 10.5 last night and restarted. Got up this morning and updated my iPad 2 with no problem.

Connected the iPhone and I get the pinwheel of death. I'll wait the 20 minutes and hopefully it sorts itself out.

Incidentally last night I also got "Facebricked", where I tried to update to the new Facebook and it crashed the phone. I had to leave it with the startup black and white apple screen for 2 hours before it finally sorted itself out. I was thinking that had somehow messed up the firmware which was causing the iTunes problem; glad to see it's not, but I was concerned when after a couple of hard resets it still wasn't working.

zip184

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
Still waiting

Mine's been hanging for 52 minutes now.

Macbook Pro 2.66 Core 2 Duo
iPhone 4
iTunes 10.5

davfox

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
Same thing for me. Installed 10.7.2 and iTunes 10.5. iPhone 4 causes SBBOD in iTunes. I waited about 10 minutes and then it started syncing. Thanks to this thread for teaching me to be patient!

alskie

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
Earth
Pain in the ASS!

Same here my itunes10.5 freezes also when i try to connect my iphone4 with ios 5 firmware!! Actually my phone is on a restore mode and when i try to connect to itunes well it freeze but after 20min the hell is gone but there was another problem the itunes showing this king of message " No sim card installed on the iphone please unplugged the iphone and insert sim card" Damn! there was a sim on my phone. i tried to replaced the sim and insert my dad's sim card but the problem still showing! So what the heck is happen..? :eek:

Please help guys!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.