Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FooArk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 16, 2011
It looks nice. But the time it takes to say "is it raining" you can just swipe down from the top and see it? :confused:

gillybean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2008
Seattle, WA
If your weather app isn't center of your front screen and you just want to know whether to bring an umbrella while you're getting dressed in the morning, you probably save a few seconds by just asking that to Siri.

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
I think it's great for those who like to talk to their phone. Me? not so much. I will never use it. Period. No matter what it can do, or how much hype it generates. It's just not my style.

AlphaVictor87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Saint Louis, MO
It looks nice. But the time it takes to say "is it raining" you can just swipe down from the top and see it? :confused:

Yes that may be one of the more useless commands, but i know that "remind me to call my wife when i leave work" is a lot faster than going into reminders and setting that all manually.

Or "wake me up at 7am tomorrow morning"

or dictating text messages or emails while you are driving will be a huge plus.

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
How fast is it to say "Create an appointment for work tomorrow at 6pm" as opposed to unlocking the phone, going into the calendar app, and typing in all the required information?

----------

so you can look a dick on the bus

Don't hate the player.. hate the game. :rolleyes:

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
I don't get it myself. I don't see it as a feature I would ever use. I think it is just my personality type. I hate talking on the phone, I would rather text and I like forums and so forth. Talking into my phone to do these things sounds horrible to me.

registerusername

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

someones anti-social...

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
Yes that may be one of the more useless commands, but i know that "remind me to call my wife when i leave work" is a lot faster than going into reminders and setting that all manually.

Or "wake me up at 7am tomorrow morning"

or dictating text messages or emails while you are driving will be a huge plus.

I agree with this 100%

It's a selling point, and a good one at that. If you will find the option of using it very handy, it will be worth it. Will you or I use it all the time? No. But will there be times when it is handy? Absolutely. Particularly when driving.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010

If while I am out on a job site I can push a button and tell Siri to remind me to make a call at 6pm and it does it . . . . well it will not be useless.

If you do not wish to use it do not!

Or are you one of those who are not getting the 4S and are trying to rationalize same.

gillybean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2008
Seattle, WA
I don't get it myself. I don't see it as a feature I would ever use. I think it is just my personality type. I hate talking on the phone, I would rather text and I like forums and so forth. Talking into my phone to do these things sounds horrible to me.

I can see myself using Siri for simple stuff like "set an alarm for 7am tomorrow" and "what are the good sushi restaurants near here?"

jalpert

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
Hands free texting and e-mailing is a killer feature for me and for people who do a lot of driving.

gloomcookie1

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
Coral Springs, FL
I don't see how people can't be excited about this. Sure there are alternative ways to do things but it's like saying why email when you can call? Why text when you can email?

This is the start of true AI in a consumer device!! A device that understands you and replies to you...how is that not awesome?? This is not search google for something or even dictation. You're telling your device to remind me and it does. How can anyone into tech or sci fi not think this is totally awesome??

And to have this so quickly just after everyone got used to tapping on a screen without a hardware keyboard?

This is some slick stuff and I am so excited and can't wait to try it. :apple:

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I think people need to remember that Siri doesn't promise complete "hands free" operation. You still need to activate it and use the UI to confirm actions. Does it save time typing (especially if you're dictating something long) - yes. But for short task, etc - it's not really going to save all that much time. And if you're driving - you'll still need to pay attention to the screen if you don't have a bluetooth headset on your ear which you can tap.

Slowlo

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2011
so you can look a dick on the bus

lol :). For me it will be looking like a jerk at the grocery store. It irritates me when other people do it, but it's just so darn convenient. So I'm a hyprocrite, sue me.

I'm pretty excited about it. I always seem to remember things in the car and it's a pain (and probably soon to be illegal) to whip out the phone and type a note, send a text, etc. I think Siri has a lot of potential, especially over time.

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
I don't see how people can't be excited about this. Sure there are alternative ways to do things but it's like saying why email when you can call? Why text when you can email?

This is the start of true AI in a consumer device!! A device that understands you and replies to you...how is that not awesome?? This is not search google for something or even dictation. You're telling your device to remind me and it does. How can anyone into tech or sci fi not think this is totally awesome??

And to have this so quickly just after everyone got used to tapping on a screen without a hardware keyboard?

This is some slick stuff and I am so excited and can't wait to try it. :apple:

I am not excited about it because it isn't something I would use. I ride the bus or ride a bicycle. I am not talking to "myself" on the bus and I am not distracting myself by wearing headphones riding my bicycle in the city.

I just wouldn't use it, it isn't going to kill me to open an app.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I think it'll be VERY popular to play with, and lots of people may buy a 4S just to mess around with it. But genuinely useful? I'm not sure.

Since it seems to be sensitive to accents, I'd wonder if we'll ever see a version that accurately handles Irish accents (or, accents from any country with a small population/market). Hell, we still don't even have visual voicemail.

I doubt if it'd be very effective in loud environments (bars, restaurants with lots of people talking or music playing). And I wouldn't want to use it in very quiet environments (in the office, in my apartment which is very quiet at night).

The ability to send a txt to someone (rather than leaving a voicemail) is the one genuine use for me; but in general it's Siri versus Privacy. I often txt rather than call because I want more privacy; so dictating a txt in a lot of situations isn't really desirable.

isoft7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2011
The REAL point...

...to sell iPhones.

Apple wants to make money.

They know that many can't live happy unless they have the latest toy, like an addiction, they target the weak. It works well. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.