Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
Too bad it doesn't work with non:apple: network devices :(

Silliest post in the thread. You want Apple to provide an App that configures other companies' hardware? :rolleyes: Most other routers can be configured via a browser anyway so there's no problems making changes on an iOS device.

This really should be part of the settings menu. Not a stand alone app

No it shouldn't. Most people don't use Apple's networking hardware, and Airport settings would confuse them.

scoobydoo99

Cancelled
Mar 11, 2003
...but why?

So, it looks like a nice little app. But why would I need it? My Time Capsule is set up to work with my MacBook Pro, iPhone, and Apple TV. After the initial setup, it has always worked. I can't even remember the last time I needed to access AirPort Utility.

Just can't understand why some ppl say "Finally! I've been waiting for this..." (?) I mean, i'm glad u got it - I just don't know why it matters.:confused:

Mike Oxard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
So, it looks like a nice little app. But why would I need it? My Time Capsule is set up to work with my MacBook Pro, iPhone, and Apple TV. After the initial setup, it has always worked. I can't even remember the last time I needed to access AirPort Utility.

Just can't understand why some ppl say "Finally! I've been waiting for this..." (?) I mean, i'm glad u got it - I just don't know why it matters.:confused:

It's part of "no PC required thing", so you can get an iPad with no home computer needed at any point. The iPad/Phone/Pod can now set up your network where before you needed a computer.

Danny Mac

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2007
Seattle, WA

Because as with iOS 5 and them "cutting the cord" from computers, a lot of iOS devices obviously run on wifi and would like to administrate those networks without having to jump on a desktop or notebook.

It serves to further making iOS devices independent. That's my understanding anyways.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4

Because for some of us things change frequently. I live in a household of 5 people and their network needs change and its usually when I'm not on a computer, whether its changing a network password, checking log files, adding a disk or printer, checking device status, etc. Its probably not useful for someone with just a single device or whose requirements are static. Ultimately, it papers over the flaw in that the Airport devices require a proprietary interface but that is for another thread. ;)

EDIT: Just thought of another use. You are traveling with your Express (as many do). You no longer need a laptop to configure it. Just bring your iPad/iPhone/iPod touch.

Last edited:

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
next will be iWork for iOS :cool:

If your statement is about updating iWork for iCloud/iOS 5. I thought Apple already did this update and rolled it out?? If they did, the software probably just looks for the version of iOS software and then iCloud setting and then allows the enhanced functionality.

diddl14

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2009
Just tried it out. The first time you press 'edit' on an Airport Extreme it asks for the password. So far so good.

But than it has an 'advanced' option where it shows the password :eek:

And now for the real bad part: after stopping the app (double-click home, kill app) and starting it again, it no longer asks for the master password. :eek::eek::eek:

So, simply put, using this tool once will make your base station + wifi password visible to anyone that get's a hand on your iPhone. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Oh, and for the real, real, real, real bad part: even rebooting the phone doesn't help. Edit mode is enabled forever, until you delete the tool.
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

diddl14

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2009
Just tried it out. The first time you press 'edit' on an Airport Extreme it asks for the password. So far so good.

But than it has an 'advanced' option where it shows the password :eek:

And now for the real bad part: after stopping the app (double-click home, kill app) and starting it again, it no longer asks for the master password. :eek::eek::eek:

So, simply put, using this tool once will make your base station + wifi password visible to anyone that get's a hand on your iPhone. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Oh, and for the real, real, real, real bad part: even rebooting the phone doesn't help. Edit mode is enabled forever, until you delete the tool.
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Oh, and to make it even worser than worse. Deleting the app doesn't delete the password. Just reinstall the app and your precious passwords are out in the open again.
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
This really should be part of the settings menu. Not a stand alone app

Actually, they've sort of done the "best of both worlds."

It's a standalone app so they can update it without a whole OS update.

But there is also a "Manage Network" button right in the Wi-Fi network settings that opens the app. If you don't have it installed it opens the App Store page so you can download it.

mostlydave

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2011
Why is there any reason this can't update any model of Airport Express? It won't work with my Wireless G airport Express :mad: . I don't need Wireless N speeds to stream music to my speakers on my desk

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Too bad it doesn't work with non:apple: network devices :(

How could you possible expect Apple's network utility to work with non-Apple equipment? That's like expecting a Toyota Prius transmission to work in a Chevy Volt. They're totally different systems. Apple's equipment is designed to work together, not to be hacked to work with everything else.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
This is cool...

...and a small but necessary piece of the puzzle which lets idevices work without a PC or Mac of any kind.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
I assume this is free? I'm browsing on a Windows PC so I can't check.

Maybe some day Apple will finally make iTunes for Windows! ;)

Just kidding (I'm assuming you're on a work computer or something without iTunes)--but you don't even need iTunes to view App (or iTunes, by the way) Store descriptions and whatnot. The link provided in the summary takes you to the Web-based view.

As others have mentioned, the price is listed as "Free."

I appreciate Apple's efforts to make the iPad more usable without a full-fledged computer.

diddl14

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2009
Anyone figured out how to prevent the master+wifi passwords from being visible every time the app is started? I've tried a couple things but so far no luck...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.