Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hohohong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
I have tested more than 20 white iPhone 4 (ALL WITHOUT SCREEN PROTECTOR AND CASE) and all have proximity sensor problem.

I’m curious about white iPhone 4S. For those of you who received your white iPhone 4S, can you do the following test?

And this is how you can recreate the problem:

1. Make a call with speaker.
2. When the call is answered, turn the speaker off and place the phone to ur ears.

Does the screen turn off when the iPhone is by ur ear?

Cheers!

hohohong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
now i'm worried for my white 4S (previously had a black 4)

I just hope Apple has this issue fixed.

A lots of people blame on the screen protector. But all the white iPhone 4 i tested were naked.

Dubthedankest

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2010
I've never had an issue with my white 4. From what I've read there is a slight redesign in the sensor included on the 4S's, so you should be in even better hands.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I really hope they fixed that.
I came across many iphone 4 owners and they all have the same issue with the prox sensor and face dialing.
Never tried it on a white iphone just black ones.
I hope I wont need to use the JB package "callock" with my new 4S.

Peterg2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I have always had this issue with my black iPhone 4.

I went with 2 black iphone 4s until finally I received one that does not have this problem. One small issue which I never had with my 3G is this example. Dial a number and while it is ringing put the call on speakerphone. As soon as they answer, toggle off the speakerphone and quickly put it to your ear. During a call started like this I have found that very often the proximity sensor will light up when the phone is close to my face. To fix it, I remove the phone away from my face and then bring it back in, in effect resetting it.

AdrianT

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2009
I just tried this on my white iPhone 4 and have no problems with the sensor. It turns the screen off as expected after turning off the speakerphone.

hohohong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
By now, a lot of u have received ur 4S.

For those who has the white 4S, can you do the proximity test as noted on the 1st posting?

Cheers!

MagnusF

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
By now, a lot of u have received ur 4S.

For those who has the white 4S, can you do the proximity test as noted on the 1st posting?

Cheers!

I can conform the proximity test works on my 32GB 4S

Im having no problems

Bkord123

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2011
My wife and I both bought white 4s's. She puts the phone to her ear and Siri is ready just about 100% of the time. When I do it, more than 50% of the time nothing happens. Should I bring it in to Apple? What will they do?

c613m

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2011
Ottawa
I have a white 4S, no issues with the sensor. Put it to ear, Siri chimes in. And nothing wrong with the call test either.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Works just fine for me. Made two calls, both started on speaker, turned speaker off and put the phone to my ear and the screen turned off.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
My wife and I both bought white 4s's. She puts the phone to her ear and Siri is ready just about 100% of the time. When I do it, more than 50% of the time nothing happens. Should I bring it in to Apple? What will they do?

I was having the same problem you were. I disabled "Raise to Speak" in settings and then enabled it again. The problem went away.
I also have no problems with the proximity sensors in my white iPhone 4S.

calvy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2007
funny, when I switched from a black iPhone 4 to a white one, I felt the proximity sensor performed MUCH better on the white iPhone. And I have absolutely zero problems with my white iPhone 4S. So I don't see it the same as you do clearly. Although I will admit the Raise to Speak siri feature rarely works. But the proximity sensor works fine on all calls and I can demonstrate it by placing my finger near it to turn the screen on and off.

JunBug119

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2007
Cerritos, CA
Works fine for me. Called a friend with speaker on, he answered, turned speaker off, put the phone to my ear and the screened turned off. Siri also works with raise to speak. I have the white iphone with SGP linear case and the screen protector that came with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.