Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AIP5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 2, 2011
So, I'll install iOS 5 this evening on my 3GS with my Snow Leopard Mac, and I know I shouldn't have any problem with that.

But, do any of you guys know how iCloud will work, or is supposed to work with Snow Leopard computers? I read about some iCloud update for Snow Leopard, but not sure if it came through. Half of the fun in iOS 5 is with iCloud (love the Calendar wireless sync, so helpful!)

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
So, I'll install iOS 5 this evening on my 3GS with my Snow Leopard Mac, and I know I shouldn't have any problem with that.

But, do any of you guys know how iCloud will work, or is supposed to work with Snow Leopard computers? I read about some iCloud update for Snow Leopard, but not sure if it came through. Half of the fun in iOS 5 is with iCloud (love the Calendar wireless sync, so helpful!)

The website specifically says OSX Lion, Sorry!

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
You are kind of in the same boat as me. I really don't want to Lion my iMac but that is my main machine that I sync my phone to. I do want the iCloud functionality, but I saw that you need Lion to do it.

I am trying to find out if I can sync my phone to either system when I want to. ie: download photos to my iphoto via Snow Leopard, but have the sync capability wirelessly and the icloud back up features....

mrkjsn

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2010
Yeah...big bummer. I'm running some non-apple applications on my MBP that's not yet supported under Lion so I'm waiting. I already bought Lion but had to Time Machine back to Snow Leopard. Hoping my apps catch up with an updated software or Apple opens iCloud for Snow Leopard soon.

vincebio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
Glasgow
iCloud for Snow Leopard is coming guys...just hang tight..

Support Documents are already being found for a 10.6.9 update

AIP5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 2, 2011
The website specifically says OSX Lion, Sorry!

Yeah, I know, specifically the 10.7.2 version. :(

I really want it on Snow Leopard though... I honestly like Snow Leopard better than Lion, especially with the multitouch setup I have on here.

I hope they do an update to give Snow Leopard iCloud.

I was just wondering if I can set up an iCloud account with only iOS 5 on my phone, and nothing on my Snow Leopard MBP. Does anyone know how that works? Or do I need at least 2 iCloud capable devices?

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2009
It would be stupid from Apple not to support Snow Leopard.

Many people are still using it. And many can't update to Lion because of hardware.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
Anyone know if it's possible to sync to either SL or Lion as you wish? Or is it when you sync to the Lion, you cannot go to your other machine and use iTunes to place photos etc?

617arg

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2008
Ugh. I'm still using Leopard. Any chance of support for that? Seems strange that iCloud is ready for Vista but not for Snow Leopard/Leopard.

I've gotten to the point of sort of relying on the automatic contact/calendar updates that were available on MobileMe, and I'm not really ready to update and set up many of the programs/settings on my machine......

AIP5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 2, 2011
I setup iCloud on Snow Leopard and my iPhone 4 but it may be because I previously had MobileMe.

Hmm, how did that work? Did you have an update of some sort? Or do you go through your browser?

Like for example, if you update something on your Calendar on your iPhone 4, does it automatically get updated on iCal on Snow Leopard?

renewed

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2009
Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.
Hmm, how did that work? Did you have an update of some sort? Or do you go through your browser?

Like for example, if you update something on your Calendar on your iPhone 4, does it automatically get updated on iCal on Snow Leopard?

I think I spoke too soon. It was working but now it says "you're account has been upgraded to iCloud" and nothing syncs anymore. This sucks. I use this for work calendar.

AIP5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 2, 2011
I think I spoke too soon. It was working but now it says "you're account has been upgraded to iCloud" and nothing syncs anymore. This sucks. I use this for work calendar.

Ah :(

I e-mailed Tim Cook to ask him if iCloud will support Snow Leopard a while back, but as expected, no response...

renewed

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2009
Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.

I e-mailed Tim Cook to ask him if iCloud will support Snow Leopard a while back, but as expected, no response...

This sucks.

This is what I see:

And the last time everything sync'd was 1:15 PM. It is now 2:31 PM. When I try to manual sync it won't do it.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-10-12 at 2.30.19 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-10-12 at 2.30.19 PM.png
    13.7 KB · Views: 154

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
yea this is odd, and Im on SL only because of expose thing, but it seems they made some changes in 10.7.2 so Ill give it a shot and we will see - iCloud is probably the thing that makes me to keep Lion on my Mac :/

AIP5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 2, 2011
yea this is odd, and Im on SL only because of expose thing, but it seems they made some changes in 10.7.2 so Ill give it a shot and we will see - iCloud is probably the thing that makes me to keep Lion on my Mac :/

Ya, one of my family member's new MBP came with Lion pre-installed, so I'll give 10.7.2 a try and see which bugs they fixed and what they improved. Though, I don't want to try iCloud on there since I don't want to link my iPhone with that particular laptop.

I'd like to know your opinion once you try it out, though. I might upgrade to Lion if it's really worth it. But I like my current Snow Leopard state much better.

----------

Went ahead and purchased OSX Lion

Well, be sure to tell how 10.7.2 is, and how iCloud works on it. I'll keep my Snow Leopard for at least another month to see if they release an update for it.

Cancelled
Jun 1, 2011
Here's my dilemma:
iOS 5 integrates iCloud.
iCloud requires OSX Lion and iOS 5.
ProTools does not work with OSX Lion.
I can transfer my MobileMe account to iCloud, but will lose all syncing features with apps like Mac mail, iCal, etc - but will be able to use these features in the webapp (going to icloud.com from safari).
If I choose not to do this, I won't be able to update my phone to iOS 5.

My only chance of survival is if iOS 5 will still support MobileMe alongside iCloud. Any news on if it does?

ASakai

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2011
Planet Earth
iCloud for Snow Leopard is coming guys...just hang tight..

Support Documents are already being found for a 10.6.9 update

I really, really hope so. Apple is allowing iCloud to work on both Windows 7 and Vista, yet they are only allowing it on one operating system for their own branded product. This boggles my mind they'd allow 2 of Windows' latest versions, yet only one of their own (that being Lion). How did they come to that wackadoodle decision to kick Snow Leopard users to the curb?! :confused:

AIP5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 2, 2011
My only chance of survival is if iOS 5 will still support MobileMe alongside iCloud. Any news on if it does?

Unfortunately, I don't think it does. :( Mobile Me is being shut down with iCloud I believe. You can migrate your Mobile Me account to iCloud though...

I really, really hope so. Apple is allowing iCloud to work on both Windows 7 and Vista, yet they are only allowing it on one operating system for their own branded product. This boggles my mind they'd allow 2 of Windows' latest versions, yet only one of their own (that being Lion). How did they come to that wackadoodle decision to kick Snow Leopard users to the curb?! :confused:

Well, I don't know anything for certain, but I think they want people to upgrade to Lion. I mean, the price is definitely affordable and nothing outrageous, but I do feel that they should at least give an option to people who want and like Snow Leopard (people like me) more than Lion.

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2009
Well, I don't know anything for certain, but I think they want people to upgrade to Lion. I mean, the price is definitely affordable and nothing outrageous, but I do feel that they should at least give an option to people who want and like Snow Leopard (people like me) more than Lion.

The things is, many of us can't update to Lion. Because of hardware limitations.

AIP5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 2, 2011
The things is, many of us can't update to Lion. Because of hardware limitations.

That's also true. I'm thinking this is just a waiting game... I do remember reading about a 10.6.9 update of some sort coming out for Snow Leopard users, but I'm not sure how it will work.

In the past, Apple has had to charge for features that it didn't advertise at the time of selling of those devices, but later added them. Included in that list is FaceTime (where non-Lion Macs had to pay $1 to get it). I can also remember iPod touch OS updates that cost $10. I'm really hoping this won't be the case with iCloud on SL.

That'll be one huge blemish on Apple for doing that.

BigDukeSix

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
34.6700N 118.1590W
iOS 5, iCloud and Snow Leopard ?

I do understand that iCloud won't work with SL. So, I would assume that if I install iOS 5 on my CDMA iPhone 4, I would still need to update using USB?
Has anyone updated to iOS 5 and are still running SL? And, have you had any issues so far?
Thanks for the info.

ASakai

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2011
Planet Earth
I'd love to hear some feedback as well.

I have Snow Leopard and are about to try the iOS 5 update again now that the servers may be calmer. I know I will lose out on some features of iOS 5. Rumor has it we SL users may get an update in the near future and support for iCloud, but I'm wondering how others with Snow Leopard are doing so far, too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.