Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ru4real

macrumors member
May 19, 2010
FIXED: Internal error / trouble updating

I know there are a lot of threads already about the error, so I'm sorry about starting ANOTHER one. However, since there are so many threads I don't want my fix to get lost in the clutter.

Description of MY problem: (or skip straight to the solution shown below)

Things were going great at first - I got in right at 1:05, downloaded at a reasonable speed, watched as my setup ran through a backup / update routine. Everything seemed to be going fine until I saw that my phone was up and running and had some little intro to run through. I followed the on screen instructions for accepting the new TOS and setting up my iCloud (Apple ID) account. Unlike all previous iPhone/iPod experiences I have had in the past, I noticed that my computer was still doing a restore, and yet I was still able to use my iPhone. I'm used to my iPhone being locked during sync/backup/restore operations, but I figured maybe they'd just learned how to get around this issue.

So, I end up on the home screen for my phone, some of my apps are there (and in their correct folders, more on that later), but not all. That's ok, since my computer is still doing a restore. I noticed that the newsstand app is right on my home screen though, and I'd really rather it in my "Apple" folder, so I do a long press and try to move it. This failed, since (as I later learned) newsstand can't go IN a folder, because it actually IS a folder. Then I notice something else, the app that was restored to my iphone while I was doing this isn't in the folder it is supposed to be in. Weird... --> drag --> drop. Solved.

Except... then I notice that ALL of my 160+ apps aren't going into their folders. D'oh! That's going to be a lot of extra work. Oh well, I decide to leave the phone to do it's thing.

Restore wraps up... and I get an error message on my computer!

"an error occurred while restoring this iphone (-34)"

That's not good... oh. None of my 3rd party apps will open. Also NOT GOOD.

I try to do a restore. I get the dreaded "An internal error has occurred" message that so many people are experiencing. I try a DFU restore. Same deal.

At this point I figure my iphone is pooched and figure I'll have to go to the genius bar. Then I notice on the forum that so many people are having the same problem, so I play with it a bit. And solved it. Here's how:

The Solution

1. Don't use your computer to reset your phone, since it's obviously not working. Instead, go onto the phone itself and in the settings area reset it to factory defaults & delete all your data. You have a backup (hopefully) on you computer, so this shouldn't be a problem.
  2. Run through on screen introduction / setup of iOS 5
  3. Plug phone into your computer
  4. Your computer should recognize the phone as a "new" phone, and ask if you want to set it up as a new device or restore from backup. Restore it from your backup. You may need to run through the on screen iOS 5 setup again, but once you've done that then leave the phone alone while it does a restore. Do not mess around with the phone as it is restoring from your backup. It is my assumption that this is what caused the corruption in the first place.

ibcj

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2010
How many iPhones has Apple sold and how much cash do they have in the bank ? This is not the first iOS upgrade, so they should have some idea as to how much traffic they can expect.

JamieYeap91

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2011
tried for the umpteenth times already still getting the same error. what does that mean actually? internal error occurred? apple or me?

jackmbriggs

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
I'm trying to update my Verizon iPhone 4 running 4.2.10 to iOS 5. I keep getting the message "The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An internal error has occured." Tried using DFU mode and same problem. Any suggestions? P.S. it is not jailbroken.

UPDATE: I think I found a workaround. Instead of just hitting restore or update in iTunes, press option and click restore. Then navigate to your .ipsw file which should be located in (your user name)/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates. I did this and it now is updating.

mine started but didnt not finish after trying this same error

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
Getting it too. What picks my a$$ is that you have to wait for the useless back up every time rather than just plowing into the install!!!!

Damn this all to hell.

bigkito

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2006
Is there any way i can stop it from backing up every time i try to update? I already backed up in 3 attempts with internal error results

----------

Getting it too. What picks my a$$ is that you have to wait for the useless back up every time rather than just plowing into the install!!!!

Damn this all to hell.

****in annoying.

stevelaw

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2007
Finally Updated

Took me 7 or 8 tries, but it finally updated. Didn't reboot / reset / download updated OS X, just kept trying.

sandhugu

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
I had the same problem as well. I just unlocked (passcode) my iPhone 4 (16Gb) and update worked after that. I hope this will help

yayitsezekiel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Irvine, CA
Guys it took me about 12-15 times, but I eventually got it! You just need to keep trying to restore and you'll eventually get it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-10-12 at 12.50.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-10-12 at 12.50.24 PM.png
    355.3 KB · Views: 440
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.