Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maavrik

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2011
do we know what the extension for tones are. i am guessing .m4t

going to try to make my own.

Edit: nm. question has been answered. thanks!

Last edited:

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Why pay if you can get these for free? And you can cut/edit/record them yourself…

MacToddB

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
Rochester, NY
This has been the #1 request from users of our custom Text-to-Speech ringtone creation apps, so this is very cool!

Also you can choose different sounds for:
Ringtone
Text Tone
New Voicemail
New Mail
Sent Mail
Tweet
Calendar Alerts
Reminder Alerts
And you can use your (homemade) ringtones for any of those as well.

jayfehr

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2008
Yes making text tones is as simple as ringtones, that you can import directly into iTunes.
I understand paying licensing rights for Star Wars, Godfather, etc. But man I CAN'T BELIEVE how pathetically short they are! Like 2 seconds, not even a full 30!!

You really want a 30 sec sounds for sms or email alerts. I think that would get old quick.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
No thanks!! This is one thing Apple can't take my money with. No ma'am!

But for those of you on Windows, trying to create ringtones (which apparently can now be set as text alert tones), here's an free and easy solution. Works great:

40177_1562718955988_1475760214_1450614_8172812_n.jpg

----------

You really want a 30 sec sounds for sms or email alerts. I think that would get old quick.

Keep in mind you can shorten the length of the file to however many seconds you want. If used as a ringtone, it'll just loop a lot faster, but as a 2-second file, it'll work great for texts.

MacToddB

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
Rochester, NY

I think the point is the price is $0.99 to $1.29, i.e. the same as a song, but the alert is short. It's not that the alert should be longer, but the price should be lower (or free if you own the song for example.)

Joe-Diver

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2009
What I want is unique text sounds for different contacts....rather than the same dang sound for all texts.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
so in other words. Apple charges for things that the rest of the world has been able to put on there phones (including dumb phones) for the past say 7 years?

I been installing my own ring tones (txt and ring) since oh 2004. I am not paying for something that I can easily do for free. Even double for a smart phone which it should be a true cake walk for.

InYou101

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2011
So expensive!!

Nice addition.. but do they really have to charge .99 or 1.29 for a few/couple of seconds when a whole song that last a few minutes cost the same?! Makes no sense.. No sense in beeing so greedy!

fsck-y dingo

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
FYI to everyone to asked. You can use ringtones as your text / alert tones (scroll down past the ‘alert tones’ list), so making your own text tone is the same process as making your own ringtone.

Ringtone
Text Tone
New Voicemail
New Mail
Sent Mail
Tweet
Calendar Alerts
Reminder Alerts

edit: This all works on an iPhone 3GS.

Thanks for posting this! I've got all my familar jailbroken sounds on a stock iPhone. :D

ceeekay

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2010
lol. Consider $0.99 a stupid tax for people willing to pay it.

Garageband has a 'Send ringtone to iTunes' menu option, so it's really just two steps to get your own tones onto the phone (hint: export, then sync).

As for 'poor' iPhone users having to deal with the same tones up until now, some people dont have directional hearing so it's actually a big problem in some cases when everyone has identical message tones. Why it's taken so long to get this 'magical' feature is a mystery.

Last edited:

Melkorr

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2008
In a house
FYI to everyone to asked. You can use ringtones as your text / alert tones (scroll down past the ‘alert tones’ list), so making your own text tone is the same process as making your own ringtone.

Ringtone
Text Tone
New Voicemail
New Mail
Sent Mail
Tweet
Calendar Alerts
Reminder Alerts

edit: This all works on an iPhone 3GS.

Excellent, although I won't know who is using an iphone anymore. When I hear the bell alert tone in a crowded room and see 5 other people check their iphones at once. :p

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
so in other words. Apple charges for things that the rest of the world has been able to put on there phones (including dumb phones) for the past say 7 years?
Nobody is stopping your from creating your own. This is just another option. Besides, just a few short years ago, ringtones for dumb phones were sold for about $3 a piece from all the major telcos. Still feeling mighty?

j2004p

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
Windows users who cant use garageband to create their own custome ring/text tones.

Try iRinger, I found it to be extremely simple and it even exports directly into iTunes.

MacToddB

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
Rochester, NY
Excellent, although I won't know who is using an iphone anymore. When I hear the bell alert tone in a crowded room and see 5 other people check their iphones at once. :p

For the best effect, hang out in an Apple store and have someone call you, using the default ringtone!

foodog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Yes making text tones is as simple as ringtones, that you can import directly into iTunes.
I understand paying licensing rights for Star Wars, Godfather, etc. But man I CAN'T BELIEVE how pathetically short they are! Like 2 seconds, not even a full 30!!

Don't know about you... I don;t want a 30 second tone playing when I get a text.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.