Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

cardsiphone.jpg

Apple's newest app, Cards, was announced last week during the iPhone 4S keynote, and finally went live today.

Cards is an iOS version of the greeting card-maker built-in to iPhoto, but with a twist -- instead of printing and shipping cards to the user, who then has to buy stamps, address and mail the cards -- Apple takes care of printing, mailing, and postage and sends the card directly to the recipient, with a push notification going to the senders iPhone upon delivery.
The new Cards app from Apple lets you create and mail beautifully crafted cards personalized with your own text and photos -- right from your iPhone or iPod touch. Take a quick snapshot and with a few taps and swipes, an elegant letterpress card is on its way to any address in the world. Each card is just $2.99 when sent within the U.S. and $4.99 when sent to or from anywhere else. And that includes postage.
The Cards app is free on the App Store for iPhone. [App Store]

Article Link: Send Real Greeting Cards With Apple's New Cards App

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Is it in the UK?

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Is it in the UK?

Certainly is. £3.99 to send a card anywhere in the world, too. More expensive than US Domestic, but in-line with US world-wide prices, though.
_______

I have relatives in Australia; £3.99 seems quite a nice all-in-one cost for the card and delivery. :D

justinfreid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2009
NEW Jersey / USA
Four new iOS Apps today

So Apple's released 4 new iOS apps today alongside iOS 5.
I bet a lot of iCards will be sent to 1 Infinite Loop as condolences for Steve Jobs' passing.
---
I just tried to install the app and realized it requires iOS 5.
I suppose it's possible that this uses an API that's only supported by the new OS, but otherwise there's a PLIST string that ought to be changed.

Last edited:

scottishwildcat

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2007
Touchnote app has been doing this for a while on iOS and Android, and their postcards are cheaper to send. Just sayin'...

LordJohnWhorfin

macrumors regular
May 28, 2002
Great, but...

There are already at least two companies who offer the same service for much less: Touchnote ($1.49 anywhere in the world) and Postagram ($0.99)
The apps are of course free (iPhone and Android).

nsayer

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Silicon Valley
Meh. All it does is hang and then finally crash when I try to send a card.

Not impressed.

EDIT: After 5 tries, it finally started down the purchasing route, but fails now because I use paypal as my payment method, and it's asking me for a CVV, which is entirely not applicable.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Three thoughts:

A. Greeting Card companies that charge an outrageous fee for their cards (Hallmark, American Greetings, etc.) are going to lose some business.

2. To respond they will come up with their own apps.

D. In typical Apple style this app is beautifully designed and animation heavy (iOS 5 only API's?). There are far more cards than I thought would be available and they all look fantastic. It's very easy to add pictures and edit text and move from inside, outside and envelope views. Also, the cards are letter pressed so it isn't just printed card stock. Very slick.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
And another sweet launch by Apple!! There servers will be toast after today ;)

And just wait until this eve when most working Americans get home to update their Macs, iDevices and Apple TVs. Ohman...

I can't recall Apple releasing more in one day than today.
Fun day for the consumer. :D

haydn!

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
UK
This is a fantastic little App from Apple!

The card templates included are stunning, but all so serious! It is just crying out for the moon-pig treatment! Adding card styles that resemble movie posters, magazine and newspaper covers etc.

mattpreston11

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2007
£3.99 from the UK, poor.I wouldn't ever spend that on a card.

Although tbf, I usually get iTunes credit on the cheap. So maybe?

bigrash

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2008
There are already at least two companies who offer the same service for much less: Touchnote ($1.49 anywhere in the world) and Postagram ($0.99)
The apps are of course free (iPhone and Android).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think touchnote and postagram only sends postcards. Apple Cards app sends an actual folded card in an envelope.

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
Ha! This morning my wife grabbed her iphone as soon as she woke up to see if this Cards app was live yet. Out of all the things that were getting released today, I had actually forgotten about this one, but it's the only one she cared about.

Pretty decent deal, considering a greeting card bought at a store can cost anywhere from $1 - $6, plus postage. The convenience alone is a selling point.

Down side is that you might not have the right photos on your iphone/ipad, though, which would require an inconvenient synch.

jamesarm97

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
It is not a universal app... :(

Exactly, why the heck did Apple release an iPhone only designed app? The first thing I did was pull out my iPad after trying it on the iPhone to see how nice an beautiful it would look only to be greeted with the small iPhone sized screen. It still looks ok in the 2x mode, just wondering about the lack of universal support directly from Apple.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
This looks pretty cool. Although, I can't really think of many people who I would mail a card to. All my family lives within miles of me and most my friends out of town are the kind of people I can easily appease with a "Happy Birthday" comment on Facebook.

Maybe one of my alter personalities will surprise me with one in the mail, one of these days. :p

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
Take that, store-bought, empty-gesture, lamely-written, $6 greeting cards!

So they receive a cheap, lame, empty gesture no effort picture.

At least with a card, you have bothered to get off your lazy ass and send something. Which means you have had to give it some thought.

Apple, single handedly making the world lazier.

bikertwin

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2002
This Old House
So they receive a cheap, lame, empty gesture no effort picture.

At least with a card, you have bothered to get off your lazy ass and send something. Which means you have had to give it some thought.

Apple, single handedly making the world lazier.

Not only that, but there's also nothing handwritten in it. No human touch.

Might as well send an electronic card and save the printing & postage. Or make and print a card at home, hand-write something on it, and mail it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.