Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tazmiffy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
Hey All,

Looks like iMessage seems to have a fatal flaw.... if you just type someones AppleID in and message them, there is no easy way to add that email to a contact card....

If you do go into the contacts application though and add it there then it will appear in iMessage as the contacts name...

Interesting feature left out there.....

Thoughts??

Multitasking is working so seamless on iPad 2

Cheers,
MiFFy

ZepFloyd

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
havent messed with iMessage yet, but yea i feared that might happen. the next update they should look at add a button and possibly even a list where you can add/have separate iMessage contacts listed. something like BBM, where you can add people without incorporating them with your other family/friends contacts. if that makes sense...

tazmiffy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
Yeah I am shocked there is no contacts integration. Do test it though. Works seamlessly..... Going to make its devices even stronger for communication purposes.....

ru4real

macrumors member
May 19, 2010
I don't understand your problem...

If I iMessage someone that isn't already in my Contacts, I can go to the top of that iMessage conversation, hit Add Contact and then either Create New Contact or Add to Existing Contact.

What am I missing?

ZepFloyd

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
I don't understand your problem...

If I iMessage someone that isn't already in my Contacts, I can go to the top of that iMessage conversation, hit Add Contact and then either Create New Contact or Add to Existing Contact.

What am I missing?

just tried iMessage out and this is true. though like i mentioned, it adds the contact to your contacts list right? meaning along with everyone else in your phone, wouldnt it be nice to just have a list of all iMessage people? for instance you add people from the forums or wherever, and that way you arent scrolling through all your other contacts to find certain iMessage buddies/friends.

tazmiffy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
My apologies.....

I have no idea what went wrong. My iMessage seems to contain some bugs.... When I pressed the contact button at the top right I only had options to contact that person via different ways. There was no "Add to contacts"

I rebooted and now it's there. Strange.

Has anyone else experienced the keyboard disappearing as well? Quitting and relaunching the application resolves.....

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
I've just upgraded to iOS5 and received an imessage from someone not in my contacts app. I can't see any add contact button to add their phone number to my contacts. Following the last post, I tried restarting my phone but this did not cause an add contact button to appear.

The imessage I have received is a group message in case that is relevant.

Starwheel

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2012
My friend and I both have each other in Contacts but when I try to Message her, the error message says her AppleID isnt registered with iMessage. But she is able to send and receive to her other friends. How can I fix this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.