Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Imola Ghost

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
I'm a little confused so sorry if this is apparent to many of you but. I currently have my Apple ID [in which the things I purchase from iTunes] on a gmail email account.

My MobileMe has been used for keeping everything in sync like contacts, bookmarks, etc.

Should I use my current gmail email for the "APPLE ID" and then use my MobileMe as the iCloud account? Or even better can I use my MobileMe as my Apple ID "and" the iCloud account, which would seem to be the best way but not sure.

szolr

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
London, UK
If you've made purchases with the Gmail account then the way I see it there's only one option. Upgrade that and transfer all your MobileMe stuff-contacts/calendars etc to the new iCloudised Gmail apple ID. :cool:

Imola Ghost

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
Is the MobileMe email going away to a "name@icloud.com" email address or is there even a iCloud email address? I don't really even use the MobileMe email at all and if they are eventually getting rid of the MobileMe email address, then I'd just assume to abandon it. I was only using it for the syncing of contacts, etc.

ConnYoungy

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2010
This is my problem too, i have my talk talk email address as my apple ID with all my apps on, but since setting that up i started using MobileMe as my primary email address, so how do i choose between losing the email account everything is connected to and everyone knows, and my apps/music?

Broric

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2009
This is my problem too, i have my talk talk email address as my apple ID with all my apps on, but since setting that up i started using MobileMe as my primary email address, so how do i choose between losing the email account everything is connected to and everyone knows, and my apps/music?

You can use mobileme address for icloud and then a different appleid for your purchases, etc.

ConnYoungy

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2010
Then whats the point in that? i won't be able to use iCloud on my iPhone because the apps are all associated with a different ID

Imola Ghost

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
I'm not getting this...is there an actual email address the Apple assigns or you pick out for sending/receiving email with the iCloud?

In other words if I transition to iCloud using my Gmail email address, do I receive email on the iCloud with "name@gmail.com" or "name@icloud.com" or "name@me.com"?

Which one?

capacity

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2003
Also having this issue. My Apple ID is my gmail address (all of my purchases have been made here), but I also have an old expired MobileMe (@me.com) address. I figured I'd be fine to use my Apple ID (gmail), so I signed into iCloud on my phone with this.

When I try to sync Notes with iCloud it tells me I need to "create a free @me.com email address"—but I already have one, and it won't let me sign in with that because I want to use my Apple ID. Needing a free @me.com address also applies to clouding mail, and I think for location-based reminders because those aren't working.

I'm confused about how to resolve this. Is it impossible to use your Apple ID for both iTunes and iCloud when the Apple ID is a non-@me.com address? Is my only solution to use my Apple ID for iTunes purchases and my expired @me.com for iCloud stuff? I definitely don't want to make ANOTHER free @me.com address. How are other people clouding notes and mail when their Apple ID is a non-@me.com address (like gmail)?

----------

Exactly. Hence I said in my first post upgrade the Gmail/TalkTalk/whatever account to iCloud.

How do you "upgrade" the gmail account to iCloud? I've already signed into iCloud with that account, but there are iCloud features that require a @me.com address.

ConnYoungy

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2010
If I sign into iCloud with my @talktalk.net regular Apple ID, the apps all tell me i need to turn on mail/ical etc in the lion>system prefs>iCloud settings before i can access them. But i can't access those settings until I've upgraded to iCloud! what!?

Imola Ghost

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
Also having this issue. My Apple ID is my gmail address (all of my purchases have been made here), but I also have an old expired MobileMe (@me.com) address. I figured I'd be fine to use my Apple ID (gmail), so I signed into iCloud on my phone with this.

When I try to sync Notes with iCloud it tells me I need to "create a free @me.com email address"—but I already have one, and it won't let me sign in with that because I want to use my Apple ID. Needing a free @me.com address also applies to clouding mail, and I think for location-based reminders because those aren't working.

I'm confused about how to resolve this. Is it impossible to use your Apple ID for both iTunes and iCloud when the Apple ID is a non-@me.com address? Is my only solution to use my Apple ID for iTunes purchases and my expired @me.com for iCloud stuff? I definitely don't want to make ANOTHER free @me.com address. How are other people clouding notes and mail when their Apple ID is a non-@me.com address (like gmail)?

Exactly my problem... when I tried logging in to iCloud [first setup] it asks for Apple ID which is what my current gmail email is associated with. Then it asks for me to create a NEW .me.com email address. Well my gmail email & my MobileMe email address is the same:

myname@gmail.com
myname@me.com

It won't let me use my already MobileMe address which it what I want, I really don't want to create a NEW me address and loose the prefix for my MobileMe address.

I've tried to change my AppleID in my iTunes account to my MobileMe and it says there's already and account in that name so I don't see how I can transfer my purchases from my Gmail Apple ID to my MobileMe Apple ID, unless someone knows how.

Imola Ghost

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
I believe I just answered my own question about using my MobileMe account as my Apple ID even though I've already got it associated with an iTunes account.

I didn't want to loose my purchases so what I did was sign out of my Gmail account thru the iTunes store and sign in with my MobileMe account. I authorized the computer then plugged in my iPhone 4 and synced it.

Now if I'm correct with this, I should be able to have my MobileMe as my Apple ID and iCloud and not loose any of my purchases that were on my Gmail.

Broric

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2009
Does this help? http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4895

"You can use different Apple IDs for iCloud and store purchases and still get all of the benefits of iCloud"

I'm planning to use my mobileme address as my iCloud address but my non-me AppleID for my store purchases.

Imola Ghost

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
I think what I'm doing is going to be the best/ideal way for me. I want to use the same Apple ID for everything including iCloud.

First I sync'd my iPad 2, iPhone 4 and made sure ALL of my purchases were sync'd to them. Logged out of that Apple ID in which this was my gmail address. Logged in to iTunes with the name@me.com address and got it all set up. I then authorized this computer to play/use iTunes files and then sync'd my devices.

I'm now downloading iOS 5 and hopefully this will fix any notions I had about loosing any of my purchases, books, music or applications.

I'll let you know soon as its downloaded and installed.

hokiepokie07

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2009
Why can't you just change your Apple Store Purchase e-mail address to your new @me.com e-mail address?

For instance, I have a gmail e-mail for my Apple ID. I'm going to change it to a new @me.com e-mail address so everything is synced to one e-mail.

The only thing I will miss is google talk, but I rarely used it.

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Why can't you just change your Apple Store Purchase e-mail address to your new @me.com e-mail address?

For instance, I have a gmail e-mail for my Apple ID. I'm going to change it to a new @me.com e-mail address so everything is synced to one e-mail.

The only thing I will miss is google talk, but I rarely used it.

Because your whole purchase history is linked to your @gmail.com Apple ID. Of course you can start using a new @me.com Apple ID, but then it's like starting from scratch.

hokiepokie07

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2009
Because your whole purchase history is linked to your @gmail.com Apple ID. Of course you can start using a new @me.com Apple ID, but then it's like starting from scratch.

I've changed my Apple ID before and as long as you change it on the iTunes Store, it will use the newest e-mail you put in it.

For instance, right now my is the gmail. So if I create a .me e-mail, and change my gmail iTunes Account to the .me, then my APPLE ID would be the .me account.

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
I've changed my Apple ID before and as long as you change it on the iTunes Store, it will use the newest e-mail you put in it.

For instance, right now my is the gmail. So if I create a .me e-mail, and change my gmail iTunes Account to the .me, then my APPLE ID would be the .me account.
With all the purchases that are connected to the other @gmail Apple ID?

qosie

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2009

I tried that but it doesn't work...says that the .me.com account is already an Apple ID and you can't merge accounts.

NazgulRR

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2010
So what is hokiepokie07 suggesting is not going to work?

My Apple ID is gmail email. I got a new free @me.com adress in iCloud today. Can't I change my Apple ID address and use the new @me.com address??

Says here you can:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HE40

Or is just not accepting new @me.com emails created today?

phamtq

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2010
Portland, OR
How to Move From MobileMe to iCloud with a Separate Apple ID

Here's some instructions for you guys if you have an existing MobileMe account that they want moved over to iCloud but have a separate login for their iTunes and App store Apple ID. It took awhile but I have everything running correctly.

1. Copy everything from your iDisk to your computer.: The service stops sometime next year but now would be a good time to do it. You could switch over to Dropbox and retain some functionality.

2. Log into MobileMe.com: And walk through the transition procedure they have. It's easy to use and very cool looking. This allows you to keep your name@me.com email address.

3. Setup your iCloud account on your device: DO NOT use your AppleID if it's different than your MobileMe login. My Apple ID was a gmail account.

4. Select the Store Preference on your iOS device: Put your other Apple ID in here. In my case it was my gmail Apple ID.

You should now be able to have all the features of iCloud while still retaining your App Store and Music account. I've bought applications and it syncs seamlessly and doesn't ask me for any input.

Last edited:

DMVillain

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011

I have been trying this for months, thinking that it would work when iCloud was (officially) released. I want to change my apple-id from my gmail.com address to my me.com iCloud address. I get this error on appleid.apple.com

"You cannot create an Apple ID using a MobileMe account. If this is your email address, it is also your Apple ID."

qosie

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2009
So what is hokiepokie07 suggesting is not going to work?

My Apple ID is gmail email. I got a new free @me.com adress in iCloud today. Can't I change my Apple ID address and use the new @me.com address??

Says here you can:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HE40

Or is just not accepting new @me.com emails created today?

I tried that hokiepokie07 did again for the 5th time and it actually worked...as far as I can tell!!!

Here was my situation and here's what I did:

- I've had an active mobileme for a while now. Let's say it's abc@me.com
- I've also had a very old Apple ID which happens to be the same suffix as my mobileme account. It's just plain abc.
- I want to keep my Apple ID AND mobileme obviously and "merge" them.
- I kept on going to my iPad and tried to update the settings on my Apple ID. Basically, I just wanted to change the email address associated with my Apple ID to my MobileMe address. I tried it a few times this morning and it didn't work. It kept saying that my abc@me.com is already an Apple ID. I tried again a minute ago and no errors went through.

I'm guessing if you have an Apple ID that is just a name without @blah attached, you should be able to associated it without your MobileMe email now.

hokiepokie07

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2009
I tried that hokiepokie07 did again for the 5th time and it actually worked...as far as I can tell!!!

Here was my situation and here's what I did:

- I've had an active mobileme for a while now. Let's say it's abc@me.com
- I've also had a very old Apple ID which happens to be the same suffix as my mobileme account. It's just plain abc.
- I want to keep my Apple ID AND mobileme obviously and "merge" them.
- I kept on going to my iPad and tried to update the settings on my Apple ID. Basically, I just wanted to change the email address associated with my Apple ID to my MobileMe address. I tried it a few times this morning and it didn't work. It kept saying that my abc@me.com is already an Apple ID. I tried again a minute ago and no errors went through.

I'm guessing if you have an Apple ID that is just a name without @blah attached, you should be able to associated it without your MobileMe email now.

Yeah, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Let's say you had a .mac Apple ID a while back. You then decide you don't want it anymore and get a gmail Apple ID. All your purchases will transfer over as long as you don't create a new Apple ID. I've changed my Apple ID at least twice (once when I went to college & once after I graduated) and everything I had stayed the same.

What I'm going to do, just to keep my life simple, is once I create a new MobileMe e-mail, just change my Apple ID from my gmail to my Mobile Me Address and it should work. It has in the past, so I don't see why it wouldn't now.

----------

I have been trying this for months, thinking that it would work when iCloud was (officially) released. I want to change my apple-id from my gmail.com address to my me.com iCloud address. I get this error on appleid.apple.com

"You cannot create an Apple ID using a MobileMe account. If this is your email address, it is also your Apple ID."

You may be different because I am creating a new MobileMe e-mail. I had MobileMe for a few months for a trial, but I didn't want to pay the $100 for it.

I'm just going to create a new MobileMe e-mail and set it up for everything.

The only downsides are I won't have GoogleChat (rarely used it anyway), having to e-mail people a new e-mail (not that big of a deal), and I'm not a huge fan of my e-mail having .me at the end, but oh well.

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2009
What a mess. This is the most un-Apple thing I've ever seen. It's frustrating.

I have my @mac account from long ago. Hasn't been used in a long time.

All of my purchases have been from another Apple ID which uses @gmail.

Now, supposing I enter to iTunes and change my mail to user@mac.com (or @me.com), how am I going to receive my receipts in my mail, if when I enter to this @me account I can put my @gmail account as my primary mail, since I already have that assigned to my other Apple ID. And yet, how does changing my mail in my @gmail account would transfer all my purchases? It doesn't makes sense.

Again, what a mess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.