Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

photostream.jpg

Top: New Photo Stream, Bottom: Old Photo Stream​
An icon that looked vaguely like a redesigned iPhone, thought to be the iPhone 5, appeared this summer in a Photo Stream image. The final version of Photo Stream reverts to a logo of the iPhone as we know it. Before and after pictures of the Photo Stream welcome screen are presented above. It was first noticed by MacRumors forum user djrod.

When the image first surfaced, we noted that it seemed to show an iPhone-like device with an enlarged screen and possibly an elongated home button at the bottom. At the time, this matched up nicely with many of the circulating rumors about the "iPhone 5".

It's unclear if this was simply the work of an sloppy designer, or if a redesigned iPhone was really in the works and the release of this icon design was a legitimate and accidental leak.

Article Link: "iPhone 5" Photo Stream Image is Gone

Gooberton

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

We can only dream

Nobita

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
La la land
My 2¢ is that it is actually still in the works and the designer really thought that it'd be released this year :)

Maybe next year.

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
What if the next iPhone looks like what people thought were going to be the 5?

Cndnmax

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I think people are just seeing what they want to see.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Or the "iPhone 5" design could have been a controlled leak for some reason. Either to gauge public opinion of a proposed design, or possibly to discover the source of an internal leak.

MNT

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2010
Or maybe they just decided to make a new icon that included the iPad?

freefall722

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2008
Now that I see the final image it looks more like they were trying to make a "universal" icon that could both represent the iPhone and iPad at the same time.

kingsrule5

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2011
not to sound like a conspiracy theorist but wouldn't surprise me if the 5 was close to done if not done but in the weeks leading up the the announcement they found out Steve was near the end. Might be saving the last major device he had a large hand in for a time when they can honor him and his contributions.

It's not like the 4s isn't going to rake in the money and they can always use extra time to even go a step above.

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Or apple engineers heard the rumors and were like "let's have some fun"

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
It's the 6.... When they announced the 4 they said they started work on it at the same time as the 3gs but of course they had a full year longer to make it better, That is what they are doing here with the 4s and 6...

AIP5

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
Inttttteerrrressstingggggg.....

Hmm. My personal opinion is that they were indeed going to release an iPhone 5, but manufacturing delays/difficulties made them push it to 2012 and shift to a 4S only this year. How early or how late this decision was made, we will of course never know. But, very interesting to say the least.

Anyway, I'm holding on to my 3GS until this legendary iPhone does show up. :)

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
not to sound like a conspiracy theorist but wouldn't surprise me if the 5 was close to done if not done but in the weeks leading up the the announcement they found out Steve was near the end. Might be saving the last major device he had a large hand in for a time when they can honor him and his contributions.

Spoken like someone that has no clue that tech takes an easy 2-3 years to go from design to on the shelf. It is highly possible that there are many things that Steve had his hands all over that we haven't seen yet.

It's not like the 4s isn't going to rake in the money and they can always use extra time to even go a step above.

yeah cause 1 million pre-orders is all the sales they are going to get.

It's very possible that any thing like the rumored iPhone 5 was merely in the testing stages and Steve's condition or not it was never going to be released until next year or later. the 4s fits with the trend we have seen for the last couple of years and could have been the truth all along

GRuizMD

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

It was actually a picture of one of the samsung phones.

kingsrule5

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2011
It's the 6.... When they announced the 4 they said they started work on it at the same time as the 3gs but of course they had a full year longer to make it better, That is what they are doing here with the 4s and 6...

Are they skipping an iphone 5?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.