Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bruce91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2011
Washington D.C.
Can I make my new iCloud @me.com my Apple ID?

I tired and it says I can't or am I doing something wrong? I'd really like to simplify things

HopHead927

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2011
There seems to be a lot of confusion over this. I want to migrate over to using just the @me.com account but I have to use my gmail account as my AppleID for some reason? I don't think Apple quite thought this one through...

dhy8386

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
This can be done in general just not with a @me account. You can make your existing iTunes AppleID your iCloud ID but if you want free @me email, then you will have to set up a @me account. This is in contrast to, say using a gmail for your iTunes AppleID and then when you set up iCloud, you continued to just use the same gmail account.

Apple will let you change your AppleID to any email address except a me.com...not sure why but there has to be a reason.

brazil5376

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2009
There seems to be a lot of confusion over this. I want to migrate over to using just the @me.com account but I have to use my gmail account as my AppleID for some reason? I don't think Apple quite thought this one through...

I use hotmail for itunes and I had an expired @me acct which is my name that I wanted to use so I just went into itunes and changed my email to the @me acct which I had forgotten the password to but clicked on forgot password and got an email to reset and just liek that I had my old @me acct back and I used that for iCloud . So now my itunes and icloud id are my @me acct

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
You can't change your current apple id to a me.com id, and you can't merge both ids.

However, there is a way to consolidate all your purchases under one id (assuming you can get them all on the same computer). There's a thread on apple support forums talking about it.

I think I did the process, not exactly sure though. However, I am able to now use my me.com id as my primary apple id and it seems like I can access all my purchased apps with my me.com id rather than the hotmail id I was using before.

HopHead927

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2011
Anybody else getting an undeliverable error when trying to send an email to your @me.com account...?

brazil5376

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2009
You can't change your current apple id to a me.com id, and you can't merge both ids.

I did. I used my expired @me acct....got it reactivated and made it my itunes which was previously a hotmail acct. So my @me acct is used for...

email,itunes,icloud

I did have to reenter my credit card info and everything I bought on itunes with my hotmail is still on my computer but if I had to re-download it I would have to log off the @me and log in again with Hotmail

iJawn108

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2006
so if i already have an apple id(my gmail) will i still get an icloud email?

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
I really hope they figure out a way to let us merge existing Apple IDs with a new @me ID. If not though it's no big deal. I just like to have everything under the same ID.

Hai1242

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
There's some article saying Tim Cook is working on merging apple IDs. As of now I created a @me.com email, but can not change my apple ID to the @me.com email.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.