Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RichardLynch

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
Since updating my iPhone 4 to iOS5, it appears my music has not synced to the device. All my apps and such have been transfered back but not my music. Ive had a look on iTunes and looking on the capacity status bar it currently shows:

PHOTOS: 1.74gb
APPS: 1.42gb
VIDEOS: 0.10gb
OTHER: 6.3gb

Ive gone onto my phone onto Settings > General > Usage, and under the iCloud section it says:
TOTAL STORAGE: 5.0gb
AVAILABLE: 2.8gb

Are these two linked? I cant be dealing with that?! Any ideas people??

psykick5

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2011
Same here... it filled my iPod Touch to the max. Zero bytes empty. iOS 5 is pissing me off...

AnthroMatt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
Redlands, CA
Same here... it filled my iPod Touch to the max. Zero bytes empty. iOS 5 is pissing me off...

I posted a thread on this earlier today, as I had the same issue. Essentially something in the update process got messed up. You will have to do a restore to correct the issue.

Ole'schooliBook

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2011
I posted a thread on this earlier today, as I had the same issue. Essentially something in the update process got messed up. You will have to do a restore to correct the issue.

Did the restore from backup fix the problem for you? I'm experiencing the same issue, unfortunately and am still in the restore process. Last time my "other" ballooned from 0.15gb to over 7gb!! Hoping this fixes the issue.

RichardLynch

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
It's currently restoring from my previous backup at the moment (Love the fact I can use the phone while it syncs) and so far the 'OTHER' section is now at 0.53gb so its looking good so far!

davidpa

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
Same here...went from having a few gigs free to being about 10gb over capacity. In the process of restoring to see if that fixes it

garykainz

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
I had the same issue, super annoying to all of the sudden have 4.4GB eaten up by "Other".

I unchecked sync everything (i.e. no music/podcasts/videos/books/etc [kept apps and info]), sync'd, then rechecked everything I wanted sync'd and I went back down to .52GB

So weird...

EddyP

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010

Yes. I had about 20GB showing up in "other" when it started to sync. I just stopped the sync, restarted it and it worked fine. Took all of 2 minutes of extra time.

tm.chen

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2009
a large chunk of it was my audio files but once I synced my phone, everything went back to normal

AnthroMatt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
Redlands, CA
Did the restore from backup fix the problem for you? I'm experiencing the same issue, unfortunately and am still in the restore process. Last time my "other" ballooned from 0.15gb to over 7gb!! Hoping this fixes the issue.

Yes, the restore was from a backup made prior to updating to 5.0 and all is well now. It just took forever because I have iTunes "shrink" my music files so I can fit more songs onto my phone.

kittywake11

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2012
Having same issue for awhile now, didn't really take note before iOS5 update, so can't say.

Today, I've dumped photos (which I never had to do on iPhone 2 & 3GS!!! ) and I dumped songs, apps, music. NO HELP whatsoever !!! Actually couldn't take anymore pics today which is what got my attention. THAT is PATHETIC, APPLE!!! I've hated this update from day one anyway.
Is the newest update supposed to help this problem or add more problems??? I'm holding off. Sick of most app updates also.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
Having same issue for awhile now, didn't really take note before iOS5 update, so can't say.

Today, I've dumped photos (which I never had to do on iPhone 2 & 3GS!!! ) and I dumped songs, apps, music. NO HELP whatsoever !!! Actually couldn't take anymore pics today which is what got my attention. THAT is PATHETIC, APPLE!!! I've hated this update from day one anyway.
Is the newest update supposed to help this problem or add more problems??? I'm holding off. Sick of most app updates also.
Have you tried resetting your iPhone (hold Home & Power buttons simultaneously until you see apple after the black screen, then letting both buttons go at the same time) after removing those items? You don't mention syncing with iTunes to try to reconfigure your space. How did you "dump" the items that you mentioned?

Which model of iPhone are you using now and what is the GB size?

The iOS 5.1.1 OTA upgrade is incremental so that it takes up very little additional space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.