Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacLDN

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2011
After updating to 10.7.2 a guest account is showing on my login screen!

themcfly

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2011
Actually if you disable Find my Mac in iCloud it vanishes.

What about my account name in the menu bar? Can't find any place to hide it.

MacLDN

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2011
Did you enable 'Find My Mac' feature in iCloud? I can only think that 'Find My Mac' creates a guest account in order to send a message or remotely lock the machine in the event of a theft?

themcfly

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2011
Can't think of exactly what it is called w/o being in front of my Mac, but the option to hide it is under the Users section in System Preferences.

Oh thanks. It was Fast User Switching, in login options.

randyzhang

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2007
Here is how to hide Guest Account when Login

System Preferences->Security&Privacy ->General->Check "Disable restarting to Safari when screen is locked", then next time you login, the guest account disappears. This won't disable "Find My Mac" feature.

Don't ask me why, I saw this fix from a Chinese mac forum.

kuwxman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2009
Kansas City
System Preferences->Security&Privacy ->General->Check "Disable restarting to Safari when screen is locked", then next time you login, the guest account disappears. This won't disable "Find My Mac" feature.

:D Works like a charm! Thanks!

vr4

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2011

I disabled "Find My Mac." The Guest account is still there, though. Then I wanted to try your solution, but I can't find the appropriate checkbox.

1DxWu.png

MacLDN

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2011
It's a guest account with folder sharing enabled, why does Find My Mac require folder sharing?

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
IMHO it is a trap for thieves. They turn your Mac on, go to the guest account, which is one that only allows Safari access (the Guest Account under Users being disabled) start using WiFi and *tada* the Mac appears in Find My Mac!

That said, it's stupid, and having to use the Security and Privacy preferences instead of the expected Users & Groups preferences will cause confusion for thousands, perhaps millions, of users. I filed a complaint when I first saw this and everyone who is confused by this should leave feedback at the usual location:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Ok, when I turn off:
Disable restarting to Safari when screen is locked

The Guest account no longer shows on the boot screen.

Not surprisingly, Apple has no documentation on that setting.

I'm on 10.7.2, with Filevault enabled.

-Kevin

----------

IMHO it is a trap for thieves. They turn your Mac on, go to the guest account, which is one that only allows Safari access (the Guest Account under Users being disabled) start using WiFi and *tada* the Mac appears in Find My Mac!

That said, it's stupid, and having to use the Security and Privacy preferences instead of the expected Users & Groups preferences will cause confusion for thousands, perhaps millions, of users. I filed a complaint when I first saw this and everyone who is confused by this should leave feedback at the usual location:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

Guess your explanation is the best:
http://osxdaily.com/2011/10/13/disable-guest-user-account-mac-os-x-10-7-2-login-screen/

-Kevin

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
That explanation is doubly lame. If someone recovers a lost Mac, they aren't going to be using it and once thieves know about Find My Mac they will just boot to the recovery partition and install a fresh copy of Lion.

I think you may be giving some thieves too much credit! :p

Afterall....maybe they'll bite and use the Guest account to get online to post their Craiglist ad trying to sell the computer! :D

-Kevin

Rhetro

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2006
can this be done with Lion 10.7.4?

Hello.

Does anyone know how to do this in Lion 10.7.4? I don't seem to have a prompt for "Disable when starting to Safari...." check window.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.