Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
It may, but I'm not sure, mean that you've reached your limit (3) of iCloud accounts created on your Mac.

I'm probably just crazy.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I have none setup. I just swapped HDD, I don't even use Lion. The only account I have set up is for iChat (which is my old .mac account that I'm trying to use in iCloud).

sjr235

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2009
also have the same issue. i only have one comp authorized. after it gave me that message when trying to sign into icloud i clicked create a new apple id and it says this device is no longer eligible to create a free icloud account....

ashleykaryl

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
UK
Me too. My computer recently had a new logic board and Apple failed to add in the serial number, so I wondered if that was the cause but probably not if others are seeing it as well.

askunk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
London
…and same here. I read the servers are overloaded with requests. I hope it is just temporary.

iSuPeRFrEaKy

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
I'm having the same problem on my iMac.

Try to sign in with my ID/app store account and get a message

Account Limit Reached
This device is no longer eligible for creating an Apple ID.

Im not trying to create an Apple ID, just trying to sign in with my existing Apple ID.:mad::mad:

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Well this is just dumb and frustrating. Did a clean install - installed Snow Leopard then installed Lion. I still can't iCloud to work. This is the first time I've ever run into a problem with Apple that I could not figure out or bypass. VERY annoyed right now.

psheredia

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
My sister has just signed in with her Apple ID and it worked right away, no trouble at all, while I still can't get it to work. Very frustrating.

jackito

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2011
Bilbo, Euzkadi, Basque Country
Same problem here

Hi guys,

same problem here and it's not resolved yet... very frustating... I don´t know what more can I do...

I have only one Apple ID and no MobileMe or iCloud account yet... I don't know whats happening...

By the way, my computer had a new logic board too and I don't know what serial number added Apple to their lists...

Very frustating... :( Any advice is welcome.

:mad:

ashleykaryl

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
UK
Hi Jackito, if you go to "About This Mac" found under the Apple logo in the top left hand of your screen and click on the version number twice it will tell you the serial number. Apple should have put back in the original number, which you will find on the back of your computer somewhere.

This attachment shows how there is no longer a serial number on my computer and Apple say it will have to go back for a 2 days to fix this. That would be the 3rd repair in 3 months...

It doesn't sound as if this would necessarily be the cause of the problem given that others are having the same issues but I was certain that sooner or later this would become a pain.

Attachments

• screenshot_105.gif
    screenshot_105.gif
    9.7 KB · Views: 707

jackito

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2011
Hi Ashleykaryl,

I've called to Apple Care Service and they've told me to send an email to iTunes Store service explaining my problem because it seems to be related with Apple IDs.

So, that's what I've done, you can do the same here http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/contact/ . Follow on screen instructions and wait for an answer...

That's all I have right now. If I solve the problem I'll tell you all first ;)

Good luck!

Mr Wonka

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
So, that's what I've done, you can do the same here http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/contact/ . Follow on screen instructions and wait for an answer...

I've just tried to do this but it appears to get any further then the page after you will need your serial number. Luckily you can click the 'My Products' link and assuming you've registered your mac in the past the serial number will be available there.

Since I'm out of applecare though I'm just crossing my fingers that they respond. :/

jackito

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2011
I've just tried to do this but it appears to get any further then the page after you will need your serial number. Luckily you can click the 'My Products' link and assuming you've registered your mac in the past the serial number will be available there.

Since I'm out of applecare though I'm just crossing my fingers that they respond. :/

I find myself in the same situation as you are, out of applecare... let's wait and find out.

Good luck to you too!

;)

ashleykaryl

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
UK
I think this is the problem. I've just updated my iMac and that worked instantly. The question is what are Apple going to do about it?

ashleykaryl

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
UK
I imagine that you have updated the serial number but... how did you do it?

My new Mac Pro that I bought 3 months ago has already had the logic board changed and that is the one with the problem. The old iMac still has the original logic board so that is fine.

When the Apple technicians replace a logic board they are supposed to flash the new one with the original serial number but some don't bother and then you get these kinds of problems later on. The only way to fix this is to send the machine away for another repair as far as I can tell. I'm fed up with all the time I've spent on the phone dealing with Apple over the last couple of months...

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
It could be a serial number thing but I highly doubt Apple would start checking them for services like this. If there was a problem there should be an option to enter it manually. Also, if you try doing it Windows, I still get errors so not having a serial number flashed can't be a problem.

Mr Wonka

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
It could be a serial number thing but I highly doubt Apple would start checking them for services like this.

They haven't done so in the past you are correct. But given that they've applied a 3 activation hardware limit to iCloud I guess they chose the only thing that is unique to each piece of hardware.

If there was a problem there should be an option to enter it manually.

They will never allow user access to the serial number. It uniquely identifies every computer they make.

Not bought applecare? Thats ok, just enter this serial number and take it in to a store.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
They haven't done so in the past you are correct. But given that they've applied a 3 activation hardware limit to iCloud I guess they chose the only thing that is unique to each piece of hardware.

I guess but how do you explain the user with the problem on the iPad? There's just too many things right now. If I knew the serial number getting removed would be a problem I would've got it re-flashed after I installed Snow Leopard for the first time or when I bought Lion. If this is really a serial number issue, anyone know how much it would cost at the Apple Store to re-flash the serial number back to the logic board?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.