Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yellowsnow0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
After updating my iphone and my wifes iphone to ios 5, the ringtones we purchased from itunes no longer show up on the phone that they were purchased from. So her phone has Guns N roses ringtones, and mine has J-lo ringtones. We share an itunes account, they show up in itunes. It's almost like it thinks they are on the phone so it's not syncing them. All custom ringtones sync fine that I made from an app.

If I purchase them again will itunes charge me? Or will it just re-download them?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:

thatisme

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2010
United States
if you re-download, they will re-charge you. Ringtones are not treated with fair use rules like music is these days.

Re-Sync your devices to iTunes, make sure that ringtones and music is checked as things to sync for you, and they should then be available.

Yellowsnow0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
I've tried that... I've synced all ringtones, I've synced selected ringtones and it all works fine except for the ones purchased thru the phone.

MacBreezy

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2011
Charlotte, NC
I had this issue as well. Downloaded some new Alert tones that are entertaining but when I synced my phone none of my old ringtones would sync. I'm guessing they are not IOS 5 compatible?

RyanCrazy

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2010
un-check the option to "sync ringtones", then sync your phone, then re-check "sync ringtones" and re-sync... all your ringtones should now be on your phone.

xeqshunr

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2011
Still not working

I'm having the same trouble. Unsynched all ringtones. Resynched all ringtones. nothing.

Robo6675

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2011
I was having this problem when plugging in my phone but it worked when I did over wifi sync. Possible just a coincidence...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.