Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Archer498

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
I've been wanting an iPad 2 for a while and plan on getting one this week. I've heard to stay away from the 1st generation ones. How do I tell which ones are 1st gen? Are there different bar codes? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
The iPad 2 is the second generation iPad. But the difference between the first gen and second gen can easily be seen because the second generation is the only one that has cameras. So, just check on the back if there's a camera or not.

Archer498

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
The iPad 2 is the second generation iPad. But the difference between the first gen and second gen can easily be seen because the second generation is the only one that has cameras. So, just check on the back if there's a camera or not.

Great thanks, so it doesn't matter if it was an iPad 2 that was purchased in launch vs one that was purchased last week. They're the same?

Rubo Draco

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2011
and if you want to know even before unboxing it, just check the cover of the box... the iPad two box has the iPad in an angle, just Google the boxes so you will realize what I'm saying

tsekh

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2010
I don't know what you mean 1st gen iPad 2.

I bought my iPad 2 on the launch day. Last week I dropped it and broke the volume button. Apple replaced my iPad 2 with a new one (for free! awesome!) and I don't notice any difference. Hardware spec is of course the same, and screen quality and build quality have no noticeable difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.