Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eroxx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
I'm confused --- thanks! :)

Also, why does backing up to iCloud use the storage space? No one with any decent amount of apps will be able to backup an iphone or ipad to the cloud .. ????

Last edited:

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
I seems that you can back up your device to itunes like you have always done or to icloud but not both.

I think it would make sense to allow us to backup to both in case disaster occurs.

eroxx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
sorry, I edited the post after you responded I'm guessing --- any idea about the space issue?

eroxx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
and if my apps are over 20 gigs? (on the ipad, at least!)

----------

and, if I'm backing up to the cloud, does that mean I can delete all the backups on itunes??? Thanks everyone ...

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
I have a related problem. I used my normal iTunes id for iCloud. But now I want to change it to an @me address to keep iCloud data separate from the wife and kids.

So I was fooling around with iCloud and turned on syncing notes. It wanted an @me address to do so. So I figured it was the perfect time to create it. I went ahead and got the email address I wanted, then it was done. It never let me choose a password. Now I'm stuck with the @me address I want and no way to access it since it never had me pick a password.

Any clues what to do at this point?

eroxx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
so is there any reason NOT to backup to cloud, and stick exclusively to itunes? Seems like its dumb not to do the cloud .. ?

vanfanel1

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2009
icloud will only back up your settings/game saves...etc of your apps. Not the apps themselves. Apple already knows what apps you have and already has access to all of them. You also have full control on which app settings should get backed up. I don't think this option is available with the normal backup.

eroxx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
so then it seems that yes, you can delete backups from itunes?

TheVoski

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2010
I thought when you d/l something on iPhone or iTunes on PC it'll automatically start d/l onto the other device. It only d/l once it wirelessly syncs. That's not what the video was saying for the new iOS.

Brianws71

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2011
Arlington Heights, IL
I have question i just backed up both my iphone 1.5gbs and ipad 2.0gbs on Ickoud. All i have on both are apps and music that i have purchased on itunes. My free space shows only 1.5gbs left. I thought apps and songs that were purchsed didnt count against your 5gbs. Thanks

Sukach

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2011
i'm curious to see what the upgrade process is going to be like since the backup is now in the cloud, but all the music still resides on my computer.

OC513

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
NYC
I have a related problem. I used my normal iTunes id for iCloud. But now I want to change it to an @me address to keep iCloud data separate from the wife and kids.

So I was fooling around with iCloud and turned on syncing notes. It wanted an @me address to do so. So I figured it was the perfect time to create it. I went ahead and got the email address I wanted, then it was done. It never let me choose a password. Now I'm stuck with the @me address I want and no way to access it since it never had me pick a password.

Any clues what to do at this point?

I had this same issue. Ended up making a new @me in the mail settings and then changed that as my iCloud address. But I would prefer to have the original one back as I like the email addy much better. I still haven't found a way to get into that account as you stated I dont have a password. Anyone?

TheNinjaJedi

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2011
i'm curious to see what the upgrade process is going to be like since the backup is now in the cloud, but all the music still resides on my computer.

I was thinking this as well.. would have to do a restore from backup then sync from computer... or perhaps the delta upgrades will solve this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.