Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lawnghorn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Bought my iMac in July and have had problems with the signal dropping and having to turn airport on and back off. I have the same router I have had forever with my powerbook. The only thing that I can figure is that it is the iMac. Any suggestions?

Thanks

88 King

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2011
London, UK
Lion 7.2 was only recently release, give that a try if you haven't done it. I had the same problem when updated to Lion, but it’s now mostly gone with the latest update.

zurichuk

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
I've had this issue on the iMac also since buying it in June/July running Snow Leopard, (but never on 2 PCs, a MBP, 3 iPods and an iPad). Curiously watching around for solutions .

Went to 10.7.2 tonight, and waiting to see if this has an effect.

malias4

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
Greece and Holland
im on internet with ethernet but when i wake uo my imac it needs like 15 sec to find the internet conection, also my mouse disconects every now and then.
im on my new imac 21.5 mid 2011 and snow leo 10.6.8.
i think i ll go soon for lion to see wats hapening there :cool:

Maruu

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2011
I don't know, if I had the same problem as described by you. My wifi connection was still active, but no packets went over the air anymore - it looked like wifi has been stalled. Turning wifi off and on made it work again for the next few minutes (iMac 2011, Snow Leopard and Lion).

The solution that worked for me, was to turn off the WPA2 CCMP option at my router and switch back to normal WPA2.

Note that I also have a MacBook late 2008 and an iPhone, that worked fine for years with these router settings. Only the new iMac made trouble.

Hope that helps,
Maruu

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
not sure if would work for you but...

my older imac (mid 2006 intel 2.0) was having issues loading pages extremely slow ect...

read somewere and works great....change/add dns server setting...system pref/network/(airport) advanced/+ add your isp's own dns server numbers or others (example google 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)

after i did this,pages load great...

mrzeigler

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2005
Pittsburgh
I have had this problem since upgrading to Lion after I bought my 2011 iMac.

The problem with my Airport's wifi connection, however, also extends to my wife's iBook, which is running 10.5.8, I believe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.