Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlekNovy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2010
-> I installed iCloud control panel for windows
-> It did integrate the .me email in outlook
-> But there are no icloud contacts anywhere
-> there's no syncing going on either calendar, contacts or tasks.

+ I'm on windows 7
+ Using 32bit Outlook 2010

p.s

Originally nothing worked and I got a bunch of errors when ticking outlook options in iCloud control panel.

But that was because I had 64bit outlook installed. So I installed 32bit outlook and now it SAYS it works, but nothing appears in the actual outlook calendars or tasks...

Last edited:

ScoutDad

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2011
I'm not having any luck either. Been trying all morning and it keeps bombing out. Using Outlook 2010 on a windows 7 machine.

OriolesMagic

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2009
I've been trying too.

iCloud creates a whole new contacts list and calendar. When all I want it to do is sync with my current contacts and calendar. I don't want to use a whole new one.

Is there any way to do this?

AlekNovy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2010
Works fine for me, MAKE sure you DL and Install the new iCloud Control Panel that replaced Mobileme.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1455

I am on the newest iCloud control panel for windows. In fact, I've never used mobileme in my life, so this icloud is a fresh install, nothing to replace.

When you say it works for you, do you mean just the email, or EVERYTHING? I.e. do you get the contacts, tasks, reminders etc?

AlekNovy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2010
I fixed it

I simply did the following:

-> I signed out of iCloud
-> I uninstalled the iCloud control panel for windows
-> I manually deleted all iCloud files on the hard disk just in case (did a search for "iCloud" and deleted files still left over after the uninstall
-> I installed iCloud control panel for windows again

It works now :)

AlekNovy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2010
So your Outlook calendar is now syncing ok with iCloud?

Is this a local Outlook calendar or an Exchange server calendar ?

I have no idea how it works. I don't even really know what exchange is.

All I know is that it created an additional calendar group in my calendars section called "iCloud"...

One problem, it's not the default calendar, and outlook refuses to show the reminders, tasks on the home-page. So I don't get what's the point of this so-called "outlook integration".

It doesn't really integrate with outlook. You basically end up having 2 groups of calendars - the outlook default one, and then a second buried calendar called "iCloud".

This is not what I had in mind when I read it can integrate with outlook. If I have to click 6 times from the homepage to get to my tasks, that's not much of a time-saver - > I could have just opened my iPad.

Another explanation from Poob Bubes in another thread:

Basically, when you tell the Control Panel to sync contacts and calendar, it just adds two additional calenders for iCloud Home and iCloud Work and an additional address book for iClound Contacts. It seems you manually have to copy over the data from the default Outlook Calender and Address Book.

I do not see a way to make these iCloud calendars and address book the defaults for Outlook. So any new entries I make are automatically added to the Outlook ones instead of the iCloud ones unless I have the correct folder highlighted when I create the new entry. This seems like a major limitation. Am I missing something?

Basically, the whole feature is useless. I feel regret at having spent so much time trying to get it work, only to find out it's a completely useless feature... Outlook integration my ass...

Last edited:

Poob Bubes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2007
Another explanation from Poop Bubes in another thread:

It's Poob Bubes :)

I have come to the same conclusion. When I posted that earlier that was from installing the beta version of the control panel. When I uninstalled and installed the 1.0 version it did duplicate my default calendar into a calendar called iCloud. But that is so asinine. Your default meeting requests still go to the outlook calendar and even if you copy entries over to the iCloud entry, all the functionality of Outlook is lost for that event. You cannot use scheduling assistant, you cannot get outlook reminders, etc. It would have actually been useful if it would just sync your existing calendar to iCloud.

If you rely on Outlook then you are better off sticking with Google calendar syncing. I wound up using iCloud for email and contacts (don't have a need to sync Outlook contacts) and stuck with Google for my calendar.

catchinsky

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2012
The seamless synchronization of Outlook and iCloud is a bit tricky. The Control Panel for Windows is not enough because it only adds additional folders to Outlook. You will need another plugin (see the link below) that syncs up iCloud folders and your "normal" Outlook folders. Sounds a bit complicated, but it worked for me. Here's the link:

http://www.codetwo.com/sync-for-icloud/

Cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.