Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aohus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 4, 2010
sky
What is a good app where I can transfer files to the iPad2 without having to physically sync the device? I'd like to wirelessly transfer some PDF files on my windows computer to the iPad2, wirelessly. Thanks.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Not to state the obvious, but with iOS5 and iTunes 10.5, just drag the PDFs to iTunes and sync the iPad over wifi. (Assumes you have Sync all Books checked).

PDF Expert (app) supports Dropbox sync as well

ped

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2005
What is a good app where I can transfer files to the iPad2 without having to physically sync the device? I'd like to wirelessly transfer some PDF files on my windows computer to the iPad2, wirelessly. Thanks.

I use GoodReader. Awesome reader and has its own wireless server built in. Very cool!

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Shouldn't iTunes be able to sync them wirelessly so they can be read in iBooks? Or is that not working?

johoe

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2011
Maybe have a look at calibre. You can transfer documents (ebooks, pdf etc.) via wifi or direct.

I'm using this for a while now.

Regards, johoe

turbotoes

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2010
France
Filebrowser, that will also give you access to far more than just PDF files. It's fantastic if you have a nas.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012

Fileapp creates an FTP drive on the phone that can receive files from any machine.

WiFly does the same, but through http using any browser.

iFileExpress gives access to the entire file system on your computer from anywhere (not just the local wifi), once you install the companion app.

UbiDisk might be the best of the bunch, as it combines http transfers (any browser on any machine), FTP transfers, Bluetooth transfers to other iOS devices, and some other fun stuff.

The best part is, all of these apps are FREE!

Have fun!

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
  • Dropbox
  • Skydrive
  • Box.net
  • SugarSync
  • Goodreader (all above)
  • PDF Expert (all above)
  • ReaddleDocs (all above)

The last 3 have their own IP address for wireless transfer. If on a Mac, I suggest you set up a WebDav on your Mac (I use mediamaster server) and sync wirelessly.

Just to clarify, when I say "all above", it means that the apps support the cloud sites listed above them. In other words, PDF Expert (my preferred one) supports Dropbox, Skydrive, Google Drive, Box, SugarSync, etc. so a sep. app is not needed.

Last edited:

sulliweb

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
My four would be:

1. File Browser - As stated great with a NAS or a network with shares (Has Dropbox access but was, is?, a paid feature)
2. Air Sharing - Can access Dropbox and other cloud servers on install and has a web sharing mode for download to or upload from another computer.
3. Filer - This is an app I mostly use more for downloading odd file types from the web, but it has access to Dropbox and a web sharing mode for file transfers as well...
4. Dropbox - It's a good app, but kinda basic. Still, it's free and does what you're looking for.

Kimcha

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2012
GoodReader has gotten a lot of recommendations here, but it is just so complex and ugly with millions of options and buttons.

I prefer Readdle Documents: https://itunes.apple.com/app/id364901807?mt=8

It is simple, beautiful and works great. It allows you to sync a folder over dropbox. This way you just put a file into a folder on your computer and it gets uploaded to dropbox. Then you start Documents on your iPad and sync the folder, which downloads the file for reading and annotating to your iPad.

Oh, and its free!

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
GoodReader has gotten a lot of recommendations here, but it is just so complex and ugly with millions of options and buttons.

I prefer Readdle Documents: https://itunes.apple.com/app/id364901807?mt=8

It is simple, beautiful and works great. It allows you to sync a folder over dropbox. This way you just put a file into a folder on your computer and it gets uploaded to dropbox. Then you start Documents on your iPad and sync the folder, which downloads the file for reading and annotating to your iPad.

Oh, and its free!

I personally find goodreader is best for categorising and sorting out tons of pdfs, and less so for annotation (not least because bring up the toolbars to insert comments and the like is so cumbersome).

My personal vote goes to notability. Smooth, clean interface. :)

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Not to state the obvious, but with iOS5 and iTunes 10.5, just drag the PDFs to iTunes and sync the iPad over wifi. (Assumes you have Sync all Books checked).

trouble with that is that it puts them into ibooks

you'd have to do file sharing to get them into anything else and i'm not certain that file sharing works over the whole wifi sync option. but it might be worth a try.

MAvery

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2012

PDF Expert (app) supports Dropbox sync as well

My thoughts exactly?

paopaoqq

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2013
It requires to jailbreak iPad and then install OpenSSH. I can then use WinSCP (which I use everyday anyways) and transfer files back and forth directly from my PC over wifi without iTunes and without a cable (assuming the iPad is on and connected to wifi of course). In theory, it should not require any interaction on the iPad itself, but until I install it and play with it, I wont' know that for sure.

TaylorMatsu

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
I use an app called 'documents' which has support for both Dropbox and google drive. I upload to the drive and just download the PDFs straight from the app

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.