Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mad Mac Maniac

macrumors 601
Original poster
My wife and I will both have seperate iCloud accounts on our respective iPhones. Is there any way for both of our photostreams to automatically go to iPhoto on our joint Macbook?

I would also like to be able to view her photostream on my iPhone and iPad if possible, but the Macbook is much more important.

malnar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
No one responded to this? No one else at least had this question too? Well, I do - my wife and I are in exactly the same position and I'm completely perplexed how Apple could have messed this up. Seriously, NO ONE in Apple thought there might be multiple iDevices in a family that they might want to feed into one Photostream? I just don't get it. I feel like I must be missing something, yet I can't find anything to support it working the way it seems like it should.

jfrancis04

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2010
Just ran into the exact same issue.

Anyone found a fix?

EDIT: Just found this after messing around with the iCloud settings for a bit.

When trying to switch to my wife's iCloud account..."This is not your primary iCloud account. Only your primary account can use bookmarks Photo Stream, Find my Mac, or iCloud Storage."

Last edited:

BeckyG

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2010
Lehigh Valley, PA
No one responded to this? No one else at least had this question too? Well, I do - my wife and I are in exactly the same position and I'm completely perplexed how Apple could have messed this up. Seriously, NO ONE in Apple thought there might be multiple iDevices in a family that they might want to feed into one Photostream? I just don't get it. I feel like I must be missing something, yet I can't find anything to support it working the way it seems like it should.

Husband and I are having the same issue...lurking here for a fix...

jfrancis04

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2010
This pretty much sucks. My wife and I were looking forward to NOT having to upload any picture manually. Guess one of us will just have to live with it. :(

Tearabite

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
So.California
more info on how we do it, and the results.

We share an iMac and have separate logins.
We have a shared iPhoto Library on a mounted image
We both have separate iClouds and Photostreams

I open iPhoto: i see all of our shared photos and MY photostream. The pics from my photostream are automatically copied into an iPhoto event

She opens iPhoto: She sees all of her photos in her photostream, and the photos from my photostream that are now in an event (she cant actually see my photostream). All of her photstream is copied into an event in iPhoto

I open iPhoto and I can now see what was copied from her photostream into an event.

BeckyG

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2010
Lehigh Valley, PA
This explanation was very helpful. I was thinking about doing two logins on our MacBook to solve this...you confirmed it. I'll try it tonight. Thank you!:)

protobiont

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
This explanation was very helpful. I was thinking about doing two logins on our MacBook to solve this...you confirmed it. I'll try it tonight. Thank you!:)

I wonder if this will work on a PC as well. Although, will the computer have to be logged in to the account before it will download the photostream? Very annoying.

malnar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
Thanks for the tips, guys. That'll have to do for now. Unfortunately this is no easier, and may actually be harder, than just connecting the iPhones directly prior to having Photostream. It totally defeats the purpose, that's for sure, chaining users to computers in order to make sure photos are stored away the right way. Totally ridiculous. Really, really cannot believe Apple flubbed this so badly.

volfan615

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2009
I'm waiting on a good solution for this also. It seems like the iCloud developers on had single people in mind.

yalag

Suspended
Nov 18, 2007
theres no solution, u each need a separate mac login with a different iphoto account. that's what im doing

volfan615

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2009
Yep that is what I figured out. I setup a common iCloud account. Then I made this common account the primary iCloud account on each device and only selected photostream from the list. Then I added our individual accounts to each device for email, contacts, calendar, etc. So far this seems to be doing everything I want it to.

The key is that the common account has to be the first one you setup whether on the mac, iphone, ipad, etc. You can delete your individual account, add the common account and then add the individual account back.

HereInAndyland

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2011
Hastings, Minnesota
more info on how we do it, and the results.

We share an iMac and have separate logins.
We have a shared iPhoto Library on a mounted image
We both have separate iClouds and Photostreams

I open iPhoto: i see all of our shared photos and MY photostream. The pics from my photostream are automatically copied into an iPhoto event

She opens iPhoto: She sees all of her photos in her photostream, and the photos from my photostream that are now in an event (she cant actually see my photostream). All of her photstream is copied into an event in iPhoto

I open iPhoto and I can now see what was copied from her photostream into an event.

I've tried this and it works...kind of. My photos show up in my user's iPhoto and my wife's show up in hers, but only until I check mine again then hers disappear. Also, mine show up in hers, but hers don't show up in mine.

Do you leave her user logged in all the time so the changes register? I know you don't want to leave both instances of iPhoto open at the same time.

Any ideas would be awesome.

Last edited:

Mad Mac Maniac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Yep that is what I figured out. I setup a common iCloud account. Then I made this common account the primary iCloud account on each device and only selected photostream from the list. Then I added our individual accounts to each device for email, contacts, calendar, etc. So far this seems to be doing everything I want it to.

The key is that the common account has to be the first one you setup whether on the mac, iphone, ipad, etc. You can delete your individual account, add the common account and then add the individual account back.

Hmmm... But then you share the same 5gb of iCloud for backups and all documents in the cloud....

Mad Mac Maniac

macrumors 601
Original poster
yea exactly its the most retarded solution ive heard thus far. All my documents will be shown to everyone else

Well I wouldn't say that... In a lot of cases it's nice to share documents. And even if I wouldn't need to share documents I certainly wouldn't mind sharing them with my wife. I'm not exactly hiding anything from her. Although there would certainly be some apps or things that my wife and I would want to retain seperate data I'd still be more concerned with storage space

findley844

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
I use a similar set up as previously mentioned. We have two iPhones, each has their own cloud. On our iMac we each have our own login with a shared iPhoto library. I've played around with different setups and can't seem to find a better way of doing this.

Apple definitely designed cloud for single user interface. I won't even get into the issues with the address book that icloud has caused. MobileMe where are you?????

HereInAndyland

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2011
Hastings, Minnesota
I use a similar set up as previously mentioned. We have two iPhones, each has their own cloud. On our iMac we each have our own login with a shared iPhoto library. I've played around with different setups and can't seem to find a better way of doing this.

Apple definitely designed cloud for single user interface. I won't even get into the issues with the address book that icloud has caused. MobileMe where are you?????

Does the two-iClouds-one-iPhoto work for you? It kind of works for me, but not quite. I feel like I'm missing something...

I set us up with one shared account for calendar and contacts sharing, and set up each up with our own account for PhotoStream. We have an older, fourth AppleID that we've always used for iTunes and App Store purchases. It's all working well so far, except for the stupid iPhoto thing...

RollTide1017

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2009
Montgomery, AL
I wonder if this will work on a PC as well. Although, will the computer have to be logged in to the account before it will download the photostream? Very annoying.
Yep, works the same with 2 logins on a Windows PC. Once the iCloud Control Panel is installed, each user must login and sign into their iCloud account and turn Photo Stream on. Once on, it creates a "Photo Stream" folder in each user's "my Pictures" folder.

Yes, a user must be logged in for it to download that user's pictures. This only takes a few minutes and has not been a problem in my experience.

I'm kinda surprised to see how many people use single logins on their computers. I guess multiple logins is just more ingrained in the Windows world that my wife and I never even considered sharing a single login. We both want to have different backgrounds, color schemes, desktop icons, and many other settings that sharing would be a nightmare. We do share the same iTunes library, which took a command line function to fix it where music she adds shows up in our library the next time I log on and open iTunes (and vise versa).

Mad Mac Maniac

macrumors 601
Original poster
I'm kinda surprised to see how many people use single logins on their computers. I guess multiple logins is just more ingrained in the Windows world that my wife and I never even considered sharing a single login. We both want to have different backgrounds, color schemes, desktop icons, and many other settings that sharing would be a nightmare. We do share the same iTunes library, which took a command line function to fix it where music she adds shows up in our library the next time I log on and open iTunes (and vise versa).

Yeah, actually I just got married a year ago, and now my wife shares my mac. I tried to set up a new login and everything for her, but she doesn't see the point. It's probably better this way for now, because my 2007 macbook would probably switch back and forth maddenly slow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.