Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arcsbite

Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
might be my northern dialect but Siri can understand very little I say. also when you try to search for things like rester aunts it tells you it can't do that in the UK
false advertising methinks!!

bryanjc

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2011
might be my northern dialect but Siri can understand very little I say. also when you try to search for things like rester aunts it tells you it can't do that in the UK

It's still in Beta.

jonnyb

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Inverness, Scotland

Apple has already said Siri access to maps and local info is US only for the moment. I'm sure it will follow soon, once it's out of beta.

Also, speak with a proper accent ;)

bryanjc

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2011
bwahahhaa it's a conspiracy! Lion is in on it too!

----------

I know, but showing adverts of "find me an italian place to eat"
then not being able to do it seems a bit iffy

It also learns your accent/dialect in time, it will be more understanding.

RussS

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
It is all a bit disappointing for the UK version as it says it can only search for businesses and maps in the USA and when using US english.

borisiii

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
Mine has stopped giving sound/voice feedback - when I press and hold the home button it doesn't make the old voice control noise, and it doesn't speak the result. The voice feedback setting is on always. Anyone have any ideas?

paulcdb

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2009
They said some things are US only at the moment, plus it's beta.

It's supposed to learn though so keep using it and see if it improves. Likely to be lots more annoyed people in the UK due to the variety of accents here but then you can't expect apple to be able to program for everyone.

I'll see how it works with a northern welsh accent tomorrow, lol

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
iDeaded myself
It's working well for me. It's understood everything I have said from the start. :D I agree it's frustrating the geographic features are not available here yet, but I still think Siri will be useful to me.

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
might be my northern dialect but Siri can understand very little I say.

What does it look like when Siri doesn't understand you? I assume you're talking about a basic failure at the voice recognition level. Is it the sort of comical behaviour that was much parodied years ago with the Newton handwriting recognition and used to happen a lot with voice recognition on PCs 10 or 15 years ago?

As an example of what I mean, an idealised example of Siri use on numerous videos goes something like:

User says: "Set me a reminder for six thirty" and Siri echoes back on screen "Set me a reminder for six thirty" and then goes and does it.

Can you see Siri mangle your input at the very first step, i.e. you say "Set me a reminder for six thirty" and what appears on screen is something like "Sit me a reindeer at sex dirty." or do you just get something like "I didn't understand that?" so that you can't really see the words that Siri had a problem with.

Of course we all know what's really going on here. I hear that in the US Siri is female and in the UK it's male. I'm constantly being told by women I know that men never listen to a word that people say to them so that's probably the underlying issue here :).

- Julian

borisiii

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
Mine has stopped giving sound/voice feedback - when I press and hold the home button it doesn't make the old voice control noise, and it doesn't speak the result. The voice feedback setting is on always. Anyone have any ideas?

I am an idiot. Siri has its own independent volume control, and I managed to mute it.

arcsbite

Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
What does it look like when Siri doesn't understand you? I assume you're talking about a basic failure at the voice recognition level. Is it the sort of comical behaviour that was much parodied years ago with the Newton handwriting recognition and used to happen a lot with voice recognition on PCs 10 or 15 years ago?

As an example of what I mean, an idealised example of Siri use on numerous videos goes something like:

User says: "Set me a reminder for six thirty" and Siri echoes back on screen "Set me a reminder for six thirty" and then goes and does it.

Can you see Siri mangle your input at the very first step, i.e. you say "Set me a reminder for six thirty" and what appears on screen is something like "Sit me a reindeer at sex dirty." or do you just get something like "I didn't understand that?" so that you can't really see the words that Siri had a problem with.

Of course we all know what's really going on here. I hear that in the US Siri is female and in the UK it's male. I'm constantly being told by women I know that men never listen to a word that people say to them so that's probably the underlying issue here :).

- Julian

I'm getting reindeer sex.
I'm having to rephrase the way I say things as certain words it just can't get the hang of...everytime I try to "cancel" I get "Sorry, I didn't understand "Council"

kind of amusing....but guessing it will get old fast
here's hoping either it improves or I'll look a bit of a nob out in public speaking like joanna lumley to it

arcsbite

Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
This is promising!:eek:

If it will do some speach to text for SMS I will be very happy. My Android did VERY well at this. Having the Mic show up on the keyboard is going to be good!

Oddly I'm having more success with the talk to text for my emails than I am with Siri!

sananda

macrumors 68030
May 24, 2007
Finally! Thousands of private education resulting in received BBC pronunciation are going to pay off. Well, except I haven't actually got an iPhone 4S.

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
I'm getting reindeer sex.
Thanks for the info. I love the way you phrased the reply, the reindeer might not be so impressed though.

I'm having to rephrase the way I say things as certain words it just can't get the hang of...

I've had that experience with real americans. When I worked in New York for a few years I needed to drive home from work in the winter one evening and my screen wiper fluid needed topping up so I asked the security guard if he had an empty bottle that I could use to fill up the water tank. For some reason he just could not understand how I said "bottle" and after about 5 attempts (I'm not making this up) I eventually had to write down the word on a piece of paper in order to be understood. One of the wierder moments in my life but we did both laugh.

- Julian

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
...For some reason he just could not understand how I said "bottle" and after about 5 attempts (I'm not making this up) I eventually had to write down the word on a piece of paper in order to be understood...

To Americans, the way the British say 'bottle' sounds like bawttle. And it's con-tro-ver-sy, not con-trov-er-sy. And who the heck decided to spell tire with a y? That's just plain crazy. :p

EDIT: By the way, it's not as though Apple didn't warn UK consumers that some features for Siri are not available in the UK and that they hope to add new functionality as they move from beta to the final product....

adamtj11

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
Belfast
Siri hates my Irish accent , it thinks im saying council when I say cancel apart from that it's pretty good, missing out on the map and business functionality in uk though

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.