Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Yeah, for some of this, this is *REALLY* a mess.

I have an AppleID that isn't an email address, just a user name. I also have that same user name as an @me.com (which I've had as @mac.com since iTools on Mac OS 9.)

Previously, the two were separate, and easy to keep separate. My AppleID was used for iTunes purchases, my @me.com address was my 'email/calendar/etc' account. Honestly, I didn't even notice that they were separate. I just logged in as my user name. MobileMe automatically slapped the @me.com on the end, so I didn't even think about it being separate.

Now after updating my iPad to iOS 5, I'm getting them mixed up all over the place. I accidentally logged in to the iTunes Store with my @me.com name, and have now accidentally 'purchased' a couple free apps (I was wondering why nothing was in my "Purchased" section!) Even worse, my iPad is now linked to that account rather than my proper iTunes Store AppleID, which means I have to wait 90 days before I can turn iTunes in the Cloud on again!

Ryanoko

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
Prior to iCloud i had two Apple ID's, one from years ago when I had my first iPod and my MobileMe account. When they announced iCloud, I cancelled my MobileMe subscription, therefore removing that account and making my email available once again.

When they released iCloud yesterday, I logged in using my only ID (the one i use for all my purchases) and then when enabling "Mail & Notes" I re-registered the @me.com address that I'd cancelled a few months ago.

Now, I only have one ID which is a @gmail.com address, with my @me.com address that I registered through iCloud showing up as an alternate email address, rather than a whole new ID.

... obviously doing this wouldn't be much use to someone using an @mac.com address as you'd no longer be able to re-register it. However, if you don't mind being without your email for a few days or so, and are confident you'll be able to re-register it, i'd recommend doing what I did!

kjohn

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2009
If people would read the directions, you would know to use your .me account as your iCloud login. If you had a .mac email, which I did, that should have been changed to .me years ago. Then, use your Apple iTunes store account Apple ID under Store.

For most people, this solves most problems.

The biggest problem is that many impulsively go ahead and enter into iCloud the Apple ID they use the most, the one from the App store.

Since I had a MobileMe account, and didn't want to screw things up, I carefully read the instructions from Apple.

That said, it would be nice if Apple would allow merging of Apple IDs. I don't understand why there is now a 90 day hold on using an Apple ID on an IOS device (I actually have a new one for the Apple Italy store, since I'm moving to Italy next year).

Actually, it's kinda funny. Since I was a .mac user, I can actually enter my MobileMe account and it automatically changes it to .mac.. So when I converted to iCloud, it shows a mac.com address, in the different stores and email it shows me.com... very annoying.

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Right back where I started...
Can't it just be a simple change?

I ask this perhaps from ignorance. If someone has a mobile me account with a .mac or .me email and a different email for itunes purchases, can't they set up the iCloud to the .mac or .me and then change the email address for the apple id to match? Then it is just one id. Is there a reson this would not work?

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Eh....

I was wondering how Apple would handle this, and it looks like they took the easiest path -- not changing anything with the current ID situation.

I did notice that when I upgraded my iPad to iOS5 last night, the little setup wizard it launched asked me in one of its steps to enter my MobileME user login/password info. I wasn't quite sure if it REALLY meant that, or if it was wanting my iTunes login (which is an address ending in mac.com that I created for iTunes store use and for a free IM account on iChat back in the day). At least it did have a small help dialog box it popped up when I clicked a link on the screen for help if I was "unsure" that explained it was, indeed, the newer MobileME login it wanted at that point.

Truthfully, I'm thinking the idea of merging these IDs together into one "master" account is an undertaking that's pretty resource-intensive on Apple's side of things. If I were them, I wouldn't have attempted it when there's plenty going on with simply getting people online with iCloud accounts and syncing all the initial music libraries people are going to want to do all those initial syncs of at the same time.

I agree it needs to happen before long, but this might be the smartest way to migrate things smoothly. Let people get upgraded and figure out what they've got that's new first and do all the ID merging a few months down the road.

zacheryjensen

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
When you have a family of iOS device owners, this policy makes so much more sense than merging. I have two other people I want logged in for purchases into the same account, but I don't want them logged into MY EMAIL ACCOUNT obviously. That would be stupid.

Now, optional merging/migration would be fine, but ultimately, it isn't that big of a deal as long as they never stop allowing separate iTunes vs. iCloud accounts. In fact, you can have different iCloud, iTunes, and Game Center accounts if you want.

I don't really see it as a problem.

It is a non-issue.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Hint:

His initials are SJ. Widely known as a very brilliant yet self centered narcissist.

Never wrong, always right, with a proclivity to make sky high claims like "It's Magical & Revolutionary"

Highly revered, he was untouchable. The perfect human.

Oh, you mean the guy who pressured the record labels to remove DRM from music downloads? Effectively opening up people's iTunes libraries to be usable outside of iTunes, iPods, etc.? That guy?

Rend It

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2003
United States
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

vvebsta said:
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

This article doesn't mean they can't or aren't considering to do this eventually. We all need to send them feedback soon as possible...

http://www.apple.com/feedback/icloud.html

This.

Go to that link and repeat what you're saying in this thread.

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
Dude, iCloud is free :D

Dude.... in your dreams... read all about it, then you will see that it's not.

Only "part" of it is. If all you need is a "partial" taste of cloud goodness then perhaps you can get by.

It's generally a good idea to have the facts before challenging.

Cheers :)

JoelMarcey

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2009
Northern California
Does canceling your MobileMe subscription really *remove* the account, i.e. freeing your ID for future use? Or does it just cancel MobileMe, leaving the MobileMe ID in tact?

When someone tries to log into MobileMe (me.com) with an ID from a cancelled MobileMe account, they get the attached picture, making it seem like the ID IS NOT really free to register again.

But some on here say they cancelled MobileMe and was able to re-register their MobileMe ID again for use for Mail and Notes in a non-MobileMe iCloud account.

What is going on?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-10-13 at 10.53.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-10-13 at 10.53.38 AM.png
    27.2 KB · Views: 84

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I ask this perhaps from ignorance. If someone has a mobile me account with a .mac or .me email and a different email for itunes purchases, can't they set up the iCloud to the .mac or .me and then change the email address for the apple id to match? Then it is just one id. Is there a reson this would not work?

No so simple but not a hard one either.
It basicly tells me that Apple has a bad database set up for it and they do not want to go in and do the fixing they need to do to allow this. It is going to come back to bite them even worse the longer they go on with this bad set up. Over all it could easily be done merging the accounts.

DrKarl

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2010
Montana
What a mess - need ID "linking" not just merging

Inability to merge, or at least link, Apple ID's is so wrong on many levels. I appreciate those who pointed out that you can at least log onto the store with a different ID to get the purchases paid for with that ID. But, what a hassle.

As another poster, my wife and I started with different iTunes ID's linked to different credit cards. Now that the Mac App store has been here, we want to install (legally according to EULA) apps on both of our Macs without paying twice. We'd be happy enough to merge. We'd be happier if the accounts could be "linked" ... so that we were recognized as a household for downloads.

Conceivably one person could have multiple ID's, each for a different credit card. Or other reasons. Why can't these be merged .. the person paid the licensing fees and so is the end-user... why can't Apple deal with it? (Apple is not alone - I had two Adobe ID's - one personal, one business - but Adobe finally supports merging ID's and all licensed products show up in my single ID there now.)

IOS 5 and iCloud setup: I was not even ASKED what ID I wanted for iCloud during the IOS 5 setup. I was asked for my iTunes/AppStore ID and PW. Then when I got to the iCloud part, a totally different Apple ID was pre-filled in and was not (and is not) editable. What's with that? (I was not a MobileMe customer - only used the trial period way back when.)

My least pleasant Apple experience ever so far...:(

Karl

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
It is very annoying that they cannot clean-up the AppleID system. Furthermore, I HATE that an AppleID has to be an email address. Let me keep the ID and manage what email address it is linked with. Very un-apple as it is.

Star Watcher

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
Apple are you listening?

I'm surprised they didn't make everyone register for an iCloud.com account but maybe I shouldn't say that too loud. I'm at four plus 3 family accounts for a total of 7. I hope some of the software engineers that worked on iCloud have families so they can know our additional pain. They need merging and linking.

Does apple have an official reason why they are unable to merge Apple ID accounts or is it just policy? Can an insider shed some light?

Keep looking up!

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
For example, yesterday I paid for and downloaded 3 magazines to my iPad using my uk ID. After updating to ios5 and signing in with my Finnish ID, those magazines are no longer available to me and by the time I can change and log in with a the UK account they will be out of date. Thanks. Why can't multiple ID's be associated with a single device? For the live of god, why?!
I have signed into iCloud with one Apple ID, have my iPad backup to iCloud but still have apps bought with a different Apple ID available on it. What am I doing differently from you?

----------

It is very annoying that they cannot clean-up the AppleID system. Furthermore, I HATE that an AppleID has to be an email address. Let me keep the ID and manage what email address it is linked with.
"Can I change the name of my Apple ID?

Yes. For example, if you get a new email address, you can change your Apple ID from your old address to your new address. For more information, follow the steps in this article. 
"
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4895

Or is your beef that you want to keep the 'name' of your Apple ID but change the associated e-mail address? And what would be the value of keeping the 'name'? Why does it matter to you what 'name' your Apple ID has?

boymom75

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2009
I've tried to get this answer elsewhere: My son has used two ID's to purchase music, one when he was a kid at home w/ us and our itunes Apple ID, the other after he "grew up" and established his own. His computer obviously can now be authorized to both itunes ID's so his library is intact. But what about when he upgrades to an ios5 device? Will that still be possible? Can't the device now only be linked to one Apple ID at a time, with a 90-day wait between changes?

I will have the same issue with my other son if I decide it's time to separate our accounts. And with automatic downloads and completely different taste, it seems like this will become more of an issue. I have always assume machines would always be able to be authorized to play purchases from more than one account.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I'm not sure about your third one, but the first two are not separate Apple IDs. They're just aliases for the same account. You can use either to log in with the same Apple ID. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to access any developer assets if I logged on from xyz@me.com rather than xyz@mac.com.

You do realize that @me and @mac are aliases, right? They're not distinct AppleIDs. As far as the AppleID prior to iTools/MobileMe, guess I'm lucky that I adopted iTools so early that the only thing on that old AppleID is a QuickTime Pro and QuickTime MPEG2 license (both of which are now essentially useless).
I don't know why my account(s) is (are) would be different, but the passwords are not the same for my @me and @mac accounts. That leads me to believe they're distinct accounts.

And not to nit pick, but I made no such claims about accounts. I said Apple IDs, and whether or not they refer to separate accounts, they still represent 2 separate Apple IDs. ;)

tardegrade

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2009
Devon, UK.
How you logging in (i.e. what username)? Additionally, iCloud mail has been down for me basically all morning.

I've tried setting it up as an additional mailbox 'Settings > Mail > Add account > Other' now and it still throws up errors.

I'll leave it until everything's calmed down.

Edgecrusherr

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2006
They better be fixing this

I have about 4, maybe even 5 Apple IDs between .Mac, Mobile Me, iTunes, Apple Dev, and there's one more I'm forgetting (I haven't made the move to iCloud yet).

Hopefully they're working on this. Hopefully they're working on a way to make Lion less sucky too.

Old Muley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Titletown USA

This article doesn't mean they can't or aren't considering to do this eventually. We all need to send them feedback soon as possible...

http://www.apple.com/feedback/icloud.html

Done!

I'm getting tired of Apple rolling out all of these services only to have them supplanted in a less-than-elegant manner. I've been around the Apple ecosystem long enough to remember when eWorld was rolled out in the mid 1990's only to be shuttered after less than two years. Then it was iTools, .mac, me.com and now iCloud. Given all the issues so far, I'm not getting a warm and confident feeling about the future of iCloud.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Umm....

Personally, I'd recommend he take the time and effort to sign in under one of those IDs (maybe the old one he used when he was still at home?) and convert all of that music into a non-DRM'd format (probably MP3?). To do this, he can tell iTunes to burn the music onto recordable CDRs as music CDs, and then re-rip those back into iTunes as MP3 songs. Then he can use all of it with the other ID without any problems, since the converted files are just generic music files, no longer attached to a particular Apple ID.

iCloud says it will index all of your music and even offer to re-download higher bitrate AAC versions of anything it finds you've got that Apple can match to music they sell. So essentially, they'd probably pick up on all those converted MP3s and let him replace them with good quality AACs again, except all tied to the one ID he wants to use for everything.

Problem solved!

(And yeah, I realize it's kind of a pain and uses up some blank CDRs too -- but look at it this way. It's a good way to ensure you have a backup of your music on physical media too, and you can re-use those discs to play in a CD player in your car or what-not, so not a total waste.)

I've tried to get this answer elsewhere: My son has used two ID's to purchase music, one when he was a kid at home w/ us and our itunes Apple ID, the other after he "grew up" and established his own. His computer obviously can now be authorized to both itunes ID's so his library is intact. But what about when he upgrades to an ios5 device? Will that still be possible? Can't the device now only be linked to one Apple ID at a time, with a 90-day wait between changes?

I will have the same issue with my other son if I decide it's time to separate our accounts. And with automatic downloads and completely different taste, it seems like this will become more of an issue. I have always assume machines would always be able to be authorized to play purchases from more than one account.

Last edited:

boymom75

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2009
Thanks for the solution, although that son is a musician now, so you can't even fathom the amount of burning. And won't he lose all the names of songs and artitsts (my computer guy told me this would happen)? And have to manually enter each and every one in again? Also, is there a way to see which songs were purchased with the first ID and just burn those? (He's a musician and has more music than anyone on the planet.)

pulp88

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2011
So I have a MobileMe account and my iTunes account Apple IDs. I found a loophole that worked for me.

I contacted MobileMe live chat support, had them completely close and cancel my account. They said in 24 hours the email will be available for me to choose for use with iCloud.

I backed up all of my emails to my Mac, synced all of my contacts, calendars, etc. to my mac and removed them from my iPhone and iPad. Implemented iCloud syncing for everything but notes and email until my email is available tomorrow.

Does it suck to be without my email for a day? Maybe... but it will all be nice neat and tidy tomorrow :D.

And... Did it work?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.