Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
This is not a surprise.

You would think 5 phones later, AT&T would be more prepared for days like this.

So, you all expect AT&T to install 10 times the servers they need so that you don't have to wait a few days once every year when Apple releases new phones? Grow up and get a life.

DiamondGCoupe

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2007
Wow I can't believe there are still Activation issues this is the 5th iPhone release, it's 2011 and now there are 3 carriers in the US.

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
this might have been posted above somewhere, but I just got my AT&T 4s, then I just went to their 'Activation website' at https://www.wireless.att.com/activations and it activated instantly after restarting...just a suggestion if anyone is having issues.

Thanks for the try, but here's what I got from AT&T when I tried (upgrading from ip4):

ACT005: We apologize for any inconvenience. iPhone users must connect to iTunes to activate service. All other users click here to register your mobile number and update your new equipment. If you need further assistance, please contact Customer Service at 1-800-331-0500.

MiamiApple

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2011
There is hope

So, you all expect AT&T to install 10 times the servers they need so that you don't have to wait a few days once every year when Apple releases new phones? Grow up and get a life.

Finally, someone with some common sense. This will all be forgotten in a few days. Geez .....

Schmitty86

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2011
This is absolute b.s. I did the the upgrade on my girlfriends line to use under my line, so now I have to activate it under her line before she goes to work in an hour. Then I have to call AT&T to change the IMEI number under my line. Otherwise, I'll be without a phone for the rest of the day. To top it all of, the case I ordered offline doesn't fit the phone. This is a very disappointing day indeed!:mad:

snapitsryan

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2011

I'm new and probably don't have a say, but it is kind of annoying that AT&T deactivates your old phone while you wait for your 4s to activate. I have been phone-less since 10 AM and I am extremely aggravated.

XjeffX

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2004
I'm new and probably don't have a say, but it is kind of annoying that AT&T deactivates your old phone while you wait for your 4s to activate. I have been phone-less since 10 AM and I am extremely aggravated.

My old phone is still working? =/ :confused:

tidalwave1

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2011
Alexandria VA
My first experience with AT&Tfail on activation day. I got my 3Gs a few days after launch day two plus year's ago. I've been trying off and on since 12Noon Eastern. Wi-fi, cellular, iTunes no luck... Just want it done today so I can send my old iPhone 3Gs to eBay this evening!

Rootus

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2008
Portland, OR

They are definitely a lot more proactive about deactivation than activation :D.

Don't make the mistake, either, of putting the SIM from a 4 into a 4S with the expectation that the 4 will work with the new SIM. Just getting near the start of the activation process will turn off the service on the old SIM. Whoops. Now my 4 doesn't work, the 4S won't activate, and at some point today my wife's 3GS will stop working. *sigh* Lesson learned, next time I'm waiting a couple weeks hahahaha

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Someone who has their's activated Please ask Siri what's the best way to get activated?

iArch

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2008
All Over
Not bothered at all with the activation delay. Millions of phones trying to do the same thing at the same time. Any simpleton with good old common sense would find it understandable. Life is short. Don't sweat the small stuff.

kahleeb

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2005
this might have been posted above somewhere, but I just got my AT&T 4s, then I just went to their 'Activation website' at https://www.wireless.att.com/activations and it activated instantly after restarting...just a suggestion if anyone is having issues.

ACT005: We apologize for any inconvenience. iPhone users must connect to iTunes to activate service. All other users click here to register your mobile number and update your new equipment. If you need further assistance, please contact Customer Service at 1-800-331-0500.

Xenu007

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2008
A Reminder that AT&T Still Sucks

Yup, still sitting here unable to activate my new phone. Coverage is still bad, and the only thing going for AT&T is the ability to use your phone while on a call-- that's it!

SBC2night

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2011

https://www.wireless.att.com/activations

I received the same error when I did the above... But for some reason my iPhone 4S activated right after via iTunes... :D

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007

take no office Chicago:

All, please be cautious in clicking on any url where you are asked to type in your phone number and zipcode/other data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.